What Dram are you enjoying? Fall 2018

kevinbrink
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Combined powers with a Scotch buddy for my Tamdhu Batch Strenght v2 and his v3 SBS. Batch 3 doesn't have the annoying vanilla car freshener of batch 2 I've been whining about here forever, so go for that one! That said, imho neither feels all that "premium," they're strong and all about sherry, but I vastly prefer the Abunadh, for example.

• I like it 1

I really like the Tamdhu Batch 003.  Tastes do vary because I much prefer this one to the Abunadh.  Had too many batches of those with the sulfur note. 

11 minutes ago, Tennessee Dave said:

I really like the Tamdhu Batch 003.  Tastes do vary because I much prefer this one to the Abunadh.  Had too many batches of those with the sulfur note. 

Fair enough, I suppose it helps that I really enjoy sulfur in my Scotch!

• I like it 2

I saw that 60 Minutes was doing a story on the Islay region of Scotland last night so I decided to watch it while enjoying a healthy pour of Laphroaig 10. God I love that stuff.

• I like it 1

11 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Some Compass Box Double Single while winding down the night.

Winding down the night?!?!  It’s not even 10:00 you dummy!  :D 

Winding down the night?!?!  It’s not even 10:00 you dummy!  [emoji3] 

You know, we didn’t even have the kids at home and still went to be early. If I’m not sitting outside drinking bourbon and smoking cigars with my SB/GBS buddies then why stay up?

Surprised to find this official 21yo cask strength (56.2% ABV) bottling during my travels. Twelve years in ex-Bourbon, followed by nine in ex-Oloroso Sherry-- the color and viscosity is incredible…

IMG_1457.thumb.jpg.bf5d76f6f7f05d79c98c1cb9684558f0.jpg

• I like it 6

Once again in bourbon wasteland on a cruise ship, so having  Oban 14 now with Lagavulin 16 in the wings for after dinner.

Apparently the bourbon boom hasn't  reached this cruise line. Bulleit, JBW, and WR (1 bar only) are the options. Either that or the boom peaked a while ago on the high seas ?

• I like it 2

Once again in bourbon wasteland on a cruise ship, so having  Oban 14 now with Lagavulin 16 in the wings for after dinner.

Apparently the bourbon boom hasn't  reached this cruise line. Bulleit, JBW, and WR (1 bar only) are the options. Either that or the boom peaked a while ago on the high seas ?

Not bourbon for sure, but those are pretty good scotch options.

On 1/7/2019 at 2:37 PM, Vosgar said:

Cruise update. Under the "WTF" category, enjoying another day of Lagavulin 16 since it's the same price as Bulleit.

• I like it 3

14 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Cruise update. Under the "WTF" category, enjoying another day of Lagavulin 16 since it's the same price as Bulleit.

I'm guessing the cruise ship is not flying a US flag, so your seeing export market bourbon prices, potentially influence by tariffs and trade wars. 

On 1/10/2019 at 10:47 AM, dad-proof said:

I'm guessing the cruise ship is not flying a US flag, so your seeing export market bourbon prices, potentially influence by tariffs and trade wars. 

I'm going with "they're idiots"

Another reason I say they're idiots is that even though the bar has them, they won't give me a drink in a Glencairn. The only ones they have are etched with "Macallan" and the bar manager won't allow anything else served in them. Additional idiocy is that there isn't even any Macallan at that particular bar. There are 14 lounges on this ship but only one has Lag 16, Caol Ila 12 and Talisker. (The Oban 14 seems to have disappeared).

On a very positive note, we got the basic drink package included for free and I only have to pay the difference between what the package will cover and the price of the higher priced beverage. In this case, that means my Lag 16 costs $3. Even though I'm bitching about things, this pretty much makes up for all of the nonsense :) 

• I like it 4

Which cruise line?

Kicking the evening off with a CB Double Single...after the requisite Friday after FRSB at the office...or two. ;)

1 hour ago, BigRich said:

Which cruise line?

Sending you a pm Rich. Don't want to trash them by name over this one topic since my wife and I enjoy pretty much everything else about them. We've been on this line 8 or 9 times and they're top notch in most areas.

Berry Bros 11YO Aultmore Cask Strength.  

Nose is grassy, honey and drifts between apple and peach.

Palate is spicy, burnt sugar and oak.

Finish is moderate with a touch of bitterness.

Overall a pretty nice dram.

69053220-F996-4D84-ADB5-A6AF6E67FCAD.jpeg

• I like it 3

Tried it head-to-head with the G&M 'Distillery Label' Mortlach 15yo and this new official release killed it. A Herculean ready-to-drink cocktail with wisps of Rhum J.M 2003 and Goo Gone-- far too seductive to have so early in the day.

IMG_0019.thumb.jpg.f6434ba3c33a668887150b0b53056ce4.jpg

• I like it 3

Deanston 12, Tomatin CuBocan, Springbank 15 last night

Love the Deanston 12. What u think of the CuBocan? Pretty good price bottle.

Sitting in front of the fire, while enjoying the plethora of football and basketball options on the tube, with a nice pour of cast strength RB12. 

8 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Love the Deanston 12. What u think of the CuBocan? Pretty good price bottle.

I enjoy the CuBocan.  It is obviously young whisky but with a lot of bready notes. 

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Tried it head-to-head with the G&M 'Distillery Label' Mortlach 15yo and this new official release killed it. A Herculean ready-to-drink cocktail with wisps of Rhum J.M 2003 and Goo Gone-- far too seductive to have so early in the day.

IMG_0019.thumb.jpg.f6434ba3c33a668887150b0b53056ce4.jpg

Hope I can find this one.  Haven't seen any Mortlach in my area yet.

Did a tasting of these three on the cruise ship tonight. I'd never had any of them before and all were very good, not spectacular, but nice whiskies. The Glen Scotia 16 with a few drops of water was the standout. Weird thing is......you can't buy any of them by themselves at the bar. You have to do the tasting with all three. :huh:

BTW even though all three came in at 46% abv, all were non-chill filtered. Nice!

20190113_205149.jpg

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 5

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Did a tasting of these three on the cruise ship tonight. I'd never had any of them before and all were very good, not spectacular, but nice whiskies. The Glen Scotia 16 with a few drops of water was the standout. Weird thing is......you can't buy any of them by themselves at the bar. You have to do the tasting with all three. :huh:

BTW even though all three came in at 46% abv, all were non-chill filtered. Nice!

20190113_205149.jpg

I actually really like Loch Lomond 12 especially for the $30 it runs here, a few more Glen Scotia appreciating posts and I'll probably cave on a bottle soon. 

Compass Box Spice Tree, 3 fingers.

Wanted something low-brow & low alcohol tonight. At this point I'm hitting this bottle hard just to make space for something better. Spice Tree's never struck the right note with me.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.