lcpfratn

Weller price increase

Bob_Loblaw

This thread is waaay to hard to find!

Spoke with my store today. W107 arrived and no increase thus far. Would like to pick a few up just in case but not sure I’ll have the time if this projected snowstorm is legit.

• I like it 1

flahute
On 1/12/2019 at 12:00 AM, The Black Tot said:

We're also still waiting to see how Mr Kulsveen's is working out.

I've had it at almost 6 years old and it still needs time. I think it will turn out great though.

• I like it 2

Charlutz

I love weller. I’ve bunkered what I could but it’s probably less than 10 OWA. I could pay $40 if it was around more often and I was out. $50? Now you’re getting into Stagg Jr. and WTRB territory. Maybe I still buy it because it is so unique but the value certainly isn’t as apparent. 

I liked the Fitz 9 year I had. Haven’t much cared for larceny or RY10. Wheated doesn’t equal Weller. 

Also, re the craft entries, Big Level anyone? Me neither. 

Weller is pretty unique. 

Three quarks
On 1/11/2019 at 1:16 PM, smokinjoe said:

They’re oversold as a distillery.   They simply can’t make everything they want in the quantities the need.  So, they have to choose.  All of their products are on allocation.  In that the Buffalo Trace label is now available somewhat more readily (as compared to a couple years ago when it was missing in several regions for extended periods) is testament to the “success” of their prioritizing of the label.  “Weller can wait”, is a good strategy IMO, when the name of your company is Buffalo Trace.  

BT has had 10+ years to figure this out. I think that is what irritates many of us. It only takes 6 years (presumably) to make OWA (4 years for WSR), and yet we see the warehouses just now going up. When did we get that first shortage announcement?

That said, IF BT is going to limit production (for whatever reason), I would rather they raise the price to limit hoarding and secondary.

Ps. This is a sore subject, because (for the fist time in 15+ years) I am out of Weller (except for 1 bottle of W12), and I can't find it anywhere nearby, at any price. I can't understand why the distillery sells WSR for $17-, when many would pay $40. All that does is create problems.

Edited by Three quarks

smokinjoe
14 minutes ago, Three quarks said:

BT has had 10+ years to figure this out. I think that is what irritates many of us. It only takes 6 years (presumably) to make OWA (4 years for WSR), and yet we see the warehouses just now going up. When did we get that first shortage announcement?

That said, if BT is going to limit production (for whatever reason), I would rather they raise the price. That might limit hoarding and secondary.

It’s easy to spend other people’s money.

It’s even easier to invoke hindsight.

BigRich

That said, if BT is going to limit production (for whatever reason), I would rather they raise the price. That might limit hoarding and secondary.

So in your scenario I think it’s a bit unreasonable for BT to dump a crap load of capital into expansion 8 years based on two years of record sales. Because it takes a couple of years to build all the infrastructure. For an industry that went through a painful and elongated drought for many years I don’t think we’ve cut them enough slack to have product out now. If we have the same conversation 5-7 years from now then I’m on board.

We are seeing improvements across the board but it hasn’t kept pace with demand except maybe for WT.

Three quarks
38 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s even easier to invoke hindsight.

It is what it is.

Edited by Three quarks

Three quarks
2 hours ago, BigRich said:

So in your scenario I think it’s a bit unreasonable for BT to dump a crap load of capital into expansion 8 years based on two years of record sales. Because it takes a couple of years to build all the infrastructure. For an industry that went through a painful and elongated drought for many years I don’t think we’ve cut them enough slack to have product out now. If we have the same conversation 5-7 years from now then I’m on board.

We are seeing improvements across the board but it hasn’t kept pace with demand except maybe for WT.

No, it is not unreasonable . . . particularly in hindsight. But if they are going to limit production (for whatever reason), they should raise prices. They may think they are doing everyone a favor with pricing, but this has actually caused supply issues.

Edited by Three quarks

Paddy

^^^^The masses say... price be damned, it’s baby Pappiez!;)

BigRich
No, it is not unreasonable . . . particularly in hindsight. But if they are going to limit production (for whatever reason), they should raise prices. They may think they are doing everyone a favor with pricing, but this has actually caused supply issues.

So clearly you just want to be pissed about it which you are welcome to do. But based on this I’m left quoting Joe:

“It’s easy to spend other people’s money.”
  • I like it 1

Three quarks
6 hours ago, BigRich said:

So clearly you just want to be pissed about it which you are welcome to do. But based on this I’m left quoting Joe:

“It’s easy to spend other people’s money.”

Just to be clear BR, the price increase does not bother me at all. In fact, I think it's a smart move. The distillery should benefit from the current demand and it may help with the supply issue. I support the distillery, but that doesn't mean I have to defend their every move, and I do see other issues consistent with earlier comments by fellow SB members in this thread. Fortunately, quality is not an issue. In response to Paddy's sarcastic comment, the last OWA I had was actually some of the best Weller I have ever had.

Edited by Three quarks
  • I like it 1

Paddy

^^^...and, my point was, it doesn't matter what they price it... somebody will (still) buy it.:)

• I like it 2

Vosgar
On 1/18/2019 at 6:41 PM, smokinjoe said:

And according to what Mark Brown told fishnbowljoe and myself last April, each of their new rickhouses costs around $25,000,000 to build and stock. Obviously not a cheap date.

The Black Tot
7 hours ago, Vosgar said:

And according to what Mark Brown told fishnbowljoe and myself last April, each of their new rickhouses costs around $25,000,000 to build and stock. Obviously not a cheap date.

...and they only put out once every 5-7 years.

• I like it 2

theranman

In Ohio the price is going from $25.99 to $29.99 effective tomorrow. (2/1/2019). That's according to an official tweet from the Ohio Liquor Control division. 

cfochs

Anyone seeing any significant changes in price since 2/1?

Adam777
On 1/31/2019 at 2:50 PM, theranman said:

In Ohio the price is going from $25.99 to $29.99 effective tomorrow. (2/1/2019). That's according to an official tweet from the Ohio Liquor Control division. 

Thanks for posting this. I found the tweet and it makes me very happy. W107 has been a daily drinker and at $30 it won’t break the bank. I stashed away 6-7 bottles at the $25.99, but since the news it has been tough to come by.

theranman

I can confirm that the price in Ohio did indeed increase from $25.99 to $29.99 the morning of 2/1/2019.   I think the 1.75s stayed at $53.99 but those are pretty scarce; the 750s are still getting delivered at least this week.  You just have to be at the store that day! 

Clueby

People keep posting about the new price becoming $50 as if it is a settled and done deal.  Does anyone really know if there are additional price hikes coming?  I can't imagine the actual MSRP for this being $50.

It won't matter much to me locally as it is non-existent or priced WAY above MSRP already, usually around $100.  But I would still like to know what the actual retail price should be.

lcpfratn
People keep posting about the new price becoming $50 as if it is a settled and done deal.  Does anyone really know if there are additional price hikes coming?  I can't imagine the actual MSRP for this being $50.

It won't matter much to me locally as it is non-existent or priced WAY above MSRP already, usually around $100.  But I would still like to know what the actual retail price should be.

The actual MSRP for OWA is now $50 in many markets, including the one I live in. That being said, according to several folks, including our own Weller Whore Joe, the MSRP increase is different in various markets. I think my market and a few others got hit with the highest increase, and some only got hit with a $5 or $10 price increase. Market allocation, price gouging stores and the secondary market are separate issues.

Clueby
17 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

The actual MSRP for OWA is now $50 in many markets, including the one I live in. That being said, according to several folks, including our own Weller Whore Joe, the MSRP increase is different in various markets. I think my market and a few others got hit with the highest increase, and some only got hit with a $5 or $10 price increase. Market allocation, price gouging stores and the secondary market are separate issues.

I've never know anything to have an actual different MSRP in a different region.  I thought the manufacturer's suggested retail price is the same no matter where you are and the differences are all in distribution, allocation, and store gouging.  I'm sure there are some but I can't think of another product category that carries a different MSRP based on the location.

fishnbowljoe
On January 10, 2019 at 2:09 PM, Bbstout said:

I have heard rumors for awhile about this and have been sceptical untill I saw this posted in a local Facebook group. I googled Alan Tenniswood and it looks like he is a consumer affairs associate at Buffalo Trace.

I still find this quite surprising if true considering the backlash against Bookers doubling prices. 

I think this community shouldn't be effected considering the massive bunkers our members have. The one positive takeaway is that OWA will only be bottled at 750ml so potentially more bottles on the market.

Screenshot_2019-01-10-13-50-23.jpg

Bbsrout posted the above from the marketing guy at Saz.

I posted the following from the information I received from BT. I was a bit vague for various reasons. 

As far as a price increase, yes Sazerac will be adjusting/correcting prices. Saz is aware of retailers charging inflated prices, so it is hard to know how this will affect certain markets. 

Here is the info I received verbatim.

DEPENDS WHICH STATE YOU LIVE IN.  WE ARE CORRECTING PRICES IN SOME MARKETS.  IT IS HARD TO KNOW WHAT WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN GIVEN THE INFLATED PRICES THAT MANY RETAILERS ARE CHARGING.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Clueby
1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Bbsrout posted the above from the marketing guy at Saz.

I posted the following from the information I received from BT. I was a bit vague for various reasons. 

As far as a price increase, yes Sazerac will be adjusting/correcting prices. Saz is aware of retailers charging inflated prices, so it is hard to know how this will affect certain markets. 

Here is the info I received verbatim.

DEPENDS WHICH STATE YOU LIVE IN.  WE ARE CORRECTING PRICES IN SOME MARKETS.  IT IS HARD TO KNOW WHAT WILL ACTUALLY HAPPEN GIVEN THE INFLATED PRICES THAT MANY RETAILERS ARE CHARGING.

Biba! Joe

Thanks Joe.  I still find the tactic of different markets having different MSRP to be bizarre.  I mean..a Ford Focus has the same MSRP whether you buy it in California or Maine.  You might be able to BUY it for a different price in a different market and the dealers and consumers might get different incentives in different markets, but the MSRP is the MSRP is the MSRP.  Ohio still shows 107 for $29.99 after recent price increase.  I'm glad I have have 10+ bottles of the "old" bottle style and 5 or so bottles of the new.  Not paying $50 for it.  I think I paid $45 for a store pick single barrel once with shipping.

lcpfratn
Thanks Joe.  I still find the tactic of different markets having different MSRP to be bizarre.  I mean..a Ford Focus has the same MSRP whether you buy it in California or Maine.  You might be able to BUY it for a different price in a different market and the dealers and consumers might get different incentives in different markets, but the MSRP is the MSRP is the MSRP.  Ohio still shows 107 for $29.99 after recent price increase.  I'm glad I have have 10+ bottles of the "old" bottle style and 5 or so bottles of the new.  Not paying $50 for it.  I think I paid $45 for a store pick single barrel once with shipping.

I don’t disagree that MSRP should be the same everywhere, but that’s not the way it is currently with Weller. I don’t know what the criteria was that Sazerac/BT used to determine the different prices by market, but my speculation is that the current high allocation states got the biggest markup...perhaps to slow down the buying and price gouging/secondary selling coming from those markets.

Richnimrod
2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I don’t disagree that MSRP should be the same everywhere, but that’s not the way it is currently with Weller.

...Or with anything, necessarily.   The State of Michigan sets it's own "State of Michigan Minimum Price" for each and every item in their inventory.      No retailer is permitted to legally sell any item below that price; but, is allowed as much of their own mark-up at their discretion as they wish above that level.      The State uses the 'MSRP' as a starting point, I think; but, after that it's possible for different mark-ups to the SoMMP with each brand up to whatever the State liquor board decides to use as the SoMMP.    So, basically, no retailer can ever run a "sale", other than removing all or some of his discretionary mark-up; but never lower than SoMMP.