What bottle(s) did you open today? Winter 2018-19

Kepler
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

27 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I posted yesterday about opening three private selection bottles, one of which was a Blanton's. Something odd occurred when I opened this bottle. But it's a good odd for a change. :huh: Over the years, many of us here have experienced broken corks and what not. It's a pain, but it sometimes happens. Likewise, there are some bottle's that are wax sealed that can also be a pain. I'm talking about the ones with brittle wax. With the last wax sealed bottle I opened, (can't remember what it was) I was finding little wax pieces in the carpet for a few days afterward. I finally had to give in and vacuum. <_<

The bottle of Blanton's that I opened yesterday was the exact opposite. I was prepared for the worst, but I needn't have worried. I grabbed the wire tips that were sticking out of the wax and started to pull. Believe it or not, the freaking wax just peeled back ever so neatly in one nice piece. :o I know this is kinda nerdy, but what can I say? I'm more used to some things not working out quite as planned, so when something goes better than planned, it's very surprising to say the least.

Biba! Joe

blanton.jpeg

Sometimes its the little things that impress us the most....

1 minute ago, jvd99 said:

Not quite up to the PVW23 from last year, but it’ll do 

Maybe not, but there ain't a bad one in the bunch. And with that, I have to say that I really like ETL.  I'm not poking fun at all, but it appears that maybe, just maybe, the ETL might be sucking hind tit here. And yes, I've been there myself. :mellow:

I hope you and friends have a fantastic time!

Biba! Joe

I posted yesterday about opening three private selection bottles, one of which was a Blanton's. Something odd occurred when I opened this bottle. But it's a good odd for a change. :huh: Over the years, many of us here have experienced broken corks and what not. It's a pain, but it sometimes happens. Likewise, there are some bottle's that are wax sealed that can also be a pain. I'm talking about the ones with brittle wax. With the last wax sealed bottle I opened, (can't remember what it was) I was finding little wax pieces in the carpet for a few days afterward. I finally had to give in and vacuum. <_>  
The bottle of Blanton's that I opened yesterday was the exact opposite. I was prepared for the worst, but I needn't have worried. I grabbed the wire tips that were sticking out of the wax and started to pull. Believe it or not, the freaking wax just peeled back ever so neatly in one nice piece. [emoji33] I know this is kinda nerdy, but what can I say? I'm more used to some things not working out quite as planned, so when something goes better than planned, it's very surprising to say the least.

Biba! Joe
blanton.jpeg.3c51be1bb52d0c88fdc253e9deb276cf.jpeg

Other than the perfect opening how did it compare to the Blanton’s PS you opened the day before?

6 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Other than the perfect opening how did it compare to the Blanton’s PS you opened the day before?

It's the same one. Sorry, but I messed up on the day opened. :unsure:

Oh BTW, I finished the sample of the Blanton's SFTB you saw in a previous pic and asked about. It was absolutely marvelous. I've sampled the SFTB three times now thanks to Galvin0791, Vosgar, and another member here. If only......

Biba! Joe

It's the same one. Sorry, but I messed up on the day opened. :unsure:

Oh BTW, I finished the sample of the Blanton's SFTB you saw in a previous pic and asked about. It was absolutely marvelous. I've sampled the SFTB three times now thanks to Galvin0791, Vosgar, and another member here. If only......

Biba! Joe

Ha, sorry thought it was a different one.

SFTB is fantastic.

2 hours ago, jvd99 said:

Guys weekend in Vail - all from my bunker #2019 goals

4E8BCDFA-8665-441E-9322-D4CB028E0114.jpeg

If you ever visit the DC suburbs I’ve got a place you can stay. ?

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I posted yesterday about opening three private selection bottles, one of which was a Blanton's. Something odd occurred when I opened this bottle. But it's a good odd for a change. :huh: Over the years, many of us here have experienced broken corks and what not. It's a pain, but it sometimes happens. Likewise, there are some bottle's that are wax sealed that can also be a pain. I'm talking about the ones with brittle wax. With the last wax sealed bottle I opened, (can't remember what it was) I was finding little wax pieces in the carpet for a few days afterward. I finally had to give in and vacuum. <_<

The bottle of Blanton's that I opened yesterday was the exact opposite. I was prepared for the worst, but I needn't have worried. I grabbed the wire tips that were sticking out of the wax and started to pull. Believe it or not, the freaking wax just peeled back ever so neatly in one nice piece. :o I know this is kinda nerdy, but what can I say? I'm more used to some things not working out quite as planned, so when something goes better than planned, it's very surprising to say the least.

Biba! Joe

blanton.jpeg

I've got a love/hate relationship with the wax seals. I put the bottle neck in a wastebasket while pulling the strip so the wax bits tend to fall into that. Then I clean up the rough wax edges around the neck and stopper before pulling the cork out.  I always seem to pull the strip in the wrong direction too. Think I'd have figured that out by now, but I haven't. Sometimes I have to get needlenose pliers out to grip the strip to pull it. Grrr. But a lot of labels I love have the wax seal, so I gotta deal with them.

Got into a new WTKS last night. From Camp Nelson A. 

It has that camp nelson prickle!

3CDAFB0B-C2BD-4310-A9AC-F32B3B616ACE.jpeg

• I like it 2

While rummaging through the bunker, I found some bottles I forgot about, so decided to bring them out and open a few. Started with this one. It was a very good batch.
IMG_0620.jpg

• I like it 2

While rummaging through the bunker, I found some bottles I forgot about, so decided to bring them out and open a few. Started with this one. It was a very good batch.
IMG_0620.thumb.jpg.2495573507092e70fca3402616ef528a.jpg

I agree! For as young as it is, it was still good enough to justify buying more than one bottle.
  • I like it 1

50 minutes ago, Kane said:

Boss called. I got a promotion.

Congrats on the promotion Kane. Cheers to you brother!

Biba! Joe

10 hours ago, Kane said:

Boss called. I got a promotion.

And congrats too on the B-516.  That's a great one...

Cheers to everybody! And apologies to boss, I may have dropped an F bomb or two when I saw the call, normally Friday night calls are never fun.

• I like it 1

Another one I found while rummaging through the bunker yesterday. Barrel 55 (wheat, 105 entry proof, level 6 seasoning, tight grain, concrete ricks, #4 char, top half of tree). Very reminiscent of OWA on palate with a great finish, but the nose is a little funky.
IMG_0623.jpg

• I like it 3

IMG_2931.thumb.jpg.1574bbe209f5738f54b00948a3a5138e.jpg
Pretty great stuff!!

Just wish it was more available. I really enjoyed the bottle I had but irreplaceable anywhere near me.

On 1/25/2019 at 8:42 PM, NDN98 said:

IMG_0620.jpg

On 1/25/2019 at 8:52 PM, lcpfratn said:

I agree! For as young as it is, it was still good enough to justify buying more than one bottle.

Yeah great stuff, I got extras too.

• I like it 3

-1 degrees outside and temps dropping to a high of -14 tomorrow.  Hot Toddy night. Which is nice because the wife helps drink. Man down, man up. 

B8477EE8-DB52-4801-930C-8D7D1A7BA5A9.jpeg

• I like it 2

All the WT101 talk lately convinced me to go out and get some. 

It’s an “LLGK” coded bottle, and it’s pretty darn good.

For $27/handle, this is a bargain. 

19F0857D-05CA-4641-91B9-053BE182D922.jpeg

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

All the WT101 talk lately convinced me to go out and get some. 

It’s an “LLGK” coded bottle, and it’s pretty darn good.

For $27/handle, this is a bargain. 

19F0857D-05CA-4641-91B9-053BE182D922.jpeg

You said a mouth full there, 0895!   (Emphasis above is mine.)  In fact many mouth-fulls.   ...Or is that many mouths full?    Well, no matter.   You get my drift, I'm sure.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.