Empty bottle(s) support group ~ 2019

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

One more down. Making progress. Saturday’s LS trip likely to be a setback. 
42F9618D-BDC0-43AD-A040-5F041FA3D362.thumb.jpeg.ae762e894d39dc999b8d01cae0bbff26.jpeg

Liked it for the Postit note stating GW4G, did you write this after posting on the bottle? Been there.

17 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Liked it for the Postit note stating GW4G, did you write this after posting on the bottle? Been there.

Nope, that note has been on the bottle for two batches of GW4G.  Scratched off the "99.6 pf" part when I mixed this batch up.  I generally have a few unlabeled bottles open at any given time (blends or often from pouring from a 1.75L) and post its keep me from getting confused.

Finished off three bottles of rye the other night.  From left to right.

1. Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye  9 yr. 119.6p

nose: brown sugar, sweet spice, butter, oak, dark fruits. palate: intense sweet attack.  Bold and spicy.  Long finish.  Delicious!

2. Willett 4 yr. Rye 107.2p

nose: fruity and youthful.  sweet pickles and butter.  no mistaking this for a bourbon. palate: luscious.  sweet and spicy.  juicy and fruity.  a bit hot on the finish for the proof.

3. Willett 4 yr. Rye 126p

nose: nougat, rye spice.  slightly herbal buttery notes.  very nice. palate: woah!  this is a big, bad boy!  loads and loads of flavor and spice.  The high proof really brings it.  long finish with Kentucky hug. 

The W107.2 is very good but outclassed by the others.  The KC and the W126 were neck and neck but, for me, the W126 wins it due to having a more identifiably distinct rye character. 

ryes.jpg

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, Kepler said:

Killed a couple of little turkeys last week.   A WT101 375ml, and this little 3RB too.

IMG_1735.JPG

Oh, so cute... and soooo tasty!    Doing it right, with that elegant glass as well Kepler!    Taste on, Buddy!

First casualty of Game day and it is only pregame. I'm sure there will be more before the day is over.IMG_2023.jpg

• I like it 1

4 minutes ago, elmossle said:

First casualty of Game day and it is only pregame. I'm sure there will be more before the day is over.

Pregame? How ‘bout pre-pregame? :)  I do understand though. If I was over at my nephews this early, there’s a slight chance that we might have emptied something. ^_^  Not a GTS, but something.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

47 minutes ago, elmossle said:

First casualty of Game day and it is only pregame. I'm sure there will be more before the day is over.IMG_2023.jpg

Damn. Now that’s a pour!

• I like it 1

8 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Damn. Now that’s a pour!

That was my thought. I'd be asleep before kickoff!

• I like it 1

First casualty of Game day and it is only pregame. I'm sure there will be more before the day is over.IMG_2023.thumb.jpg.03264248636c212ad7cc41b6e4173ca6.jpg

Getting set for kickoff and we have our second casualty of the day! Here is to a great Super Bowl!!IMG_2024.jpg
  • I like it 2

Getting set for kickoff and we have our second casualty of the day! Here is to a great Super Bowl!!IMG_2024.thumb.jpg.15de0f3271990c541f2f49028fcda879.jpg

Third bottle gone in 2 days. I fear there might one or two more to fall this week. Great news is I expect to be making some posts in What bottle did you open thread very soon!IMG_2025.jpg

11 hours ago, elmossle said:

Third bottle gone in 2 days. I fear there might one or two more to fall this week. Great news is I expect to be making some posts in What bottle did you open thread very soon!IMG_2025.jpg

KCSB is one of my favorites.

Really gonna miss this one.  Had an opportunity to have a tour of Heaven Hill hosted by Denny Potter, and he was kind enough to sign a couple of bottles of Select Stock Fire Commemoration for us.  This small batch bottling was dumped from four barrels that were stored on level 6 of rickhouse V, and had been there in the fall of 1996 when their massive fire destroyed 2% of the world's whiskey supply.  Rickhouse V was the first warehouse they were able to save.  Very nice whiskey, 20 years old when we got it in 2016.....sad to see it gone, but we still have one more bottle☺️

HH2.jpg

• I like it 2

I'm responsible for an OWA SP heading to the big recycling bin.  It was one of those Maxwell House bottles, "Good to the last drop!".

Wednesday night casualty.  Hate that they're moving aware from this bottle - really stands out.  Oh - and the bourbon is pretty decent ;)wtks_dead.thumb.jpg.86d29718bbe82266470a47f208cd2092.jpg

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

I liked this a lot more at the end, than at the beginning. 

It was good, never anything more. 

91F4FE9D-82BF-4F6C-97EE-AD58429CE44A.jpeg

Is that the ‘17 or the ‘18? Agree I found it lacking. Tried it blind SBS (‘17) with EHSiB and the Single Barrel crushed. 

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Is that the ‘17 or the ‘18? Agree I found it lacking. Tried it blind SBS (‘17) with EHSiB and the Single Barrel crushed. 

It was a 2017.  It wasn't that I didn't like it, It just didn't wow me over.  But it was a solid very good, B+ kinda pour.  Anyway, the good point is that I took it to a Super Bowl party, and a few people there thought it was crazy delicious, so I let them finish it off.

I've owned two bottles of the single barrel.  The first (2016 coded) was so rough, I almost swore it off.  The 2018 coded I have open now tastes like Eagle Rare amped up a bit. Delicious!  Glad I gave it another chance.

But of a sore throat today so poured the rest of this one into my tea. It’s medicinal right?

I think @SouthsideRed swears by this application (bourbon in tea).

:)

I'm a hot toddy kinda guy myself.

I was planning on opening one this weekend. I also have some ETHSB in the basement as well. Maybe a SBS is in order.

9 hours ago, elmossle said:

I was planning on opening one this weekend. I also have some ETHSB in the basement as well. Maybe a SBS is in order.

I don't know the 4G and Single Barrel sbs is a fair or meaningful comparison. Without the wheat component, the SiB is going to have more spice and intensity while the 4G theoretically has more sweetness and softer feel. It would become more of a "which style I like better" sbs. The 4G I tried I also thought was "ok". I prefer Grandpa Weller's Four Grain. :P

• I like it 1

Third bottle gone in 2 days. I fear there might one or two more to fall this week. Great news is I expect to be making some posts in What bottle did you open thread very soon!IMG_2025.thumb.jpg.ebdf98ab10126f001151f93f57146241.jpg

Another one bites the recycling bin. Have two more bottles that are close to finding the same result. Not sure they will be done by the end of weekend, but it will happen next week for sure!IMG_2028.jpg

24 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Another one bites the recycling bin. Have two more bottles that are close to finding the same result. Not sure they will be done by the end of weekend, but it will happen next week for sure!IMG_2028.jpg

Nice... I like the bourbon and the glass..

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.