4R Small Batch Select

Seasick Sailor
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/21/2019 at 6:39 AM, CUfan99 said:

Mako graciously provided me a sample yesterday so I hastily opened it. I liked it a lot! It’s 4R, of course I liked it. Random thoughts on it:

I was disappointed I didn’t get even a slight mint note from it. I’ll have to rely on finding PS SiBs when I want to scratch that itch.

I agree with Mako on the finish; pretty fleeting. 

Decent mouthfeel but nothing special. 

It had a little more spice and proof heat that was noticeable over the standard SiB. 

I followed it with a small pour of the standard SiB and I can’t say my enjoyment of the Select was much more than the standard. Certainly not $25-30 more. I’ll buy a bottle when I come across it because I don’t want to write it off based on one sample. 

On 5/20/2019 at 10:08 PM, Vosgar said:

My stash is mostly 10-12yr PS bottles, but otherwise I'm right there with you. I tried the Select during the Sampler and while I liked it, there was nothing special enough about it to make me want to buy any. 

I'm spoiled

WELL!!

Finally got time to read this thread.  I was gifted a bottle by a Sampler attendee who came through town, and I intentionally delayed opening it until JUST BEFORE I could read this thread.  I have always been slightly disappointed with the SmB and OBSV SiB compared to the PS recipes (especially the OESQ).  Because my usual sweet spot for bourbon age is 6-8 and sometimes out to 10 (ER and KC), 4R PSs out to 12years were the exception.  My bunker contains NO 10-12 yr PSs - I only learned about them circa 2015 from you guys and then had trouble finding them faster than I drank them.

Hence, I will buy what I can get, and THIS I found much more satisfying to me than either the basic SmB and SiB even if this Select is less than 8, mostly.  Short finish?  Only compared to older, more expensive stuff, sort of.  I sure hope this stays around.  I haven't bought the SmB or SiB in awhile, but this, at its current price, I will buy. Yeah, I'm settling for second best, but since that's what's available, . . .

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WELL!!

Finally got time to read this thread.  I was gifted a bottle by a Sampler attendee who came through town, and I intentionally delayed opening it until JUST BEFORE I could read this thread.  I have always been slightly disappointed with the SmB and OBSV SiB compared to the PS recipes (especially the OESQ).  Because my usual sweet spot for bourbon age is 6-8 and sometimes out to 10 (ER and KC), 4R PSs out to 12years were the exception.  My bunker contains NO 10-12 yr PSs - I only learned about them circa 2015 from you guys and then had trouble finding them faster than I drank them.

Hence, I will buy what I can get, and THIS I found much more satisfying to me than either the basic SmB and SiB even if this Select is less than 8, mostly.  Short finish?  Only compared to older, more expensive stuff, sort of.  I sure hope this stays around.  I haven't bought the SmB or SiB in awhile, but this, at its current price, I will buy. Yeah, I'm settling for second best, but since that's what's available, . . .

Glad you liked it, Harry.  I'm taking a bottle to another swim meet on the Left Coast tomorrow to share with some less fortunate officials.  Hope they will like it as much as we do!   ?

• I like it 2

Hasn't hit Indy but when it does, it will probably go fast.  Maybe in a few years, I might find a bottle.  When I do, I will probably buy it, assuming the price is close to MSRP.  Until then, I will read about it in this forum.

17 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Hasn't hit Indy but when it does, it will probably go fast.  Maybe in a few years, I might find a bottle.  When I do, I will probably buy it, assuming the price is close to MSRP.  Until then, I will read about it in this forum.

A few years?

You know KY is only 2 hrs away right?

?

it was literally sitting around at every store I went to in Louisville at msrp two weeks ago. 

If it’s important to you, make it happen, captain! 

10 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

WELL!!

Harry,

I’m about 2/3 into mine and it is getting better. Finish hanging around a touch longer and I am enjoying the mouth feel. 

I can get it in Augusta (an hour away) for $54 pre tax. This one I plan on keeping around. 

Pretty solid ‘jack of all trades’ bottle for the price point. If I’m making a quick trip out of town AND Mrs mako gives me the look when I am packing bottles, SbS is a good one to throw in the duffle bag. 

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

THIS I found much more satisfying to me than either the basic SmB and SiB

100% agree.

2 hours ago, Mako254 said:

Pretty solid ‘jack of all trades bottle

Good description. 

I put 4R SbS in the same category as OF Statesman - well made with balanced proof and balanced age, but about $10 overpriced IMO. But I have bought both, and will likely buy again. In my wheelhouse.

• I like it 3

My wife and I killed off our second bottle of this yesterday and it is quickly turning into our go to for mixing too.  I know it might be a bit pricey at $58-60 for a mixer but it makes a damn good Paper Plane cocktail.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.