Dang it... I want my money back.

Curtis Reed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Any craft bourbon or whiskey I have ever bought, except for Tom Foolery.  A special shout out to Traverse City.  Three shots in a flight and a momento glass for $5 was still too much.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Great tip, thanks! I had been wrapping in a rag and then using an EH tube. 2 glasses per tube. Will use the bags now. 

Using an EHT tube is also a great idea. I think I’ll grab one now. :)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Legent. It's still tastes like 4 year bourbon beneath all that finishing. Give me some WT 101 instead!

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, alcoholica said:

Haven’t really had a bad bourbon purchase. Some are just better than others, but I had a horrible rum purchase that Fred Minnick raves about. St. Lucia Chairman’s Reserve. I guess the note is clove, but it was more chemical to me. $30 rum that I literally can’t give away. I’ll give someone a sample and tell them that they can have it if they like it. No takers. 

My only qualm with it is it could use more proof.

On ‎3‎/‎25‎/‎2019 at 11:08 AM, pyro273 said:

This thread is an excellent highlight of the fact that we all have different pallets.  Some of labels listed here I thought weren't all that bad; I wasn't blown away but no regrets purchasing or trying.  Campfire was the only one I've tried that was, to me, truly undrinkable. 

Find someone that likes Ardbeg and they might like it.

• I like it 1

Rowan's Creek, i need my €45 back. Hudson Baby Bourbon, €50 for a 350ml bottle, come on. I also didn't like the Baker's 7yr, not a surprise since i can't enjoy Beam stuff. 

Had a great bottle of Noah's Mill back then, but the last one i've bought was crap. Last one, Dickel's no. 12, hopefully, it was a birthday gift, not a fan of the Dickel's profile, i'd take a banana JD over it any day. 

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

If you lived near me you could have what’s left

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, newmennium said:

Legent. It's still tastes like 4 year bourbon beneath all that finishing. Give me some WT 101 instead!

Agreed. I'm hoping that some air will bring something out, but my hopes aren't high.

23 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Exactly. Not much of a experience compared to the Hamilton offerings, complete with vintages/age statements and cask strength gusto. I do still have a weak spot for the BB&R version— lighter proof but absurdly elegant.

• I like it 1

• 5 months later...
On 3/25/2019 at 6:14 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Even though I don’t want my money back, Stagg JR Batch #1 was a hot mess, and made me shy away from it for a while. Odd coincidence, I have a Stagg JR Batch #3/BT Blend in my glass as I type this. :D

Biba! Joe

I bought 3 of batch 1. Still have 2 :)  Gonna have to grit my teeth and get through them soon. #DrinkYourWorst. 

Using them to spice up a bland bourbon is a good idea though.

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I bought 3 of batch 1. Still have 2 :)  Gonna have to grit my teeth and get through them soon. #DrinkYourWorst. 

Even though I don’t want my money back, Stagg JR Batch #1 was a hot mess, and made me shy away from it for a while. Odd coincidence, I have a Stagg JR Batch #3/BT Blend in my glass as I type this. :D

Biba! Joe

Condolences TBT, thats 2 too many!! I still have flashbacks to my STJR batch 1 experience, I shudder to think what that stuff might IMPROVE by its addition. There is a new commercial showing a guy lighting his grill with unwanted whiskey, the STJR might not even require a match!!

On topic, I am extremely underwhelmed by my one and only RRSB Rye. I cannot believe that this barrel was tasted them deemed worthy of bottling rather than being blended away in the 81p expression. I LOVE WT and I will give a different bottle a try, specifically I am awaiting that rare Breed rye!! This RR is not even in the same zipcode as my wheelhouse.

22 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

I'll help you... never tried batch 1.

hmmm....plane tickets to England...$$$$☹️

I'll help you... never tried batch 1.
hmmm....plane tickets to England...$$$$[emoji3525]

Actually, Paul does have a place in Houston too, but his work has him traveling all over the world on ship, so most of the time you never know where he is.
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, lcpfratn said:

Actually, Paul does have a place in Houston too, but his work has him traveling all over the world on ship, so most of the time you never know where he is.

Offshore Suriname right now....

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Offshore Suriname right now....

Ahhhh, the navel of the world... lap of luxury... edge of nirvana... How can we properly describe the wonders of such a situation?   I can't begin!   We are all envious (well, maybe not all of us, I guess).   

If you can rouse yourself from the slumbers of the gently lapping waves, and all the extravagance in which you currently dwell, please say a prayer for all of us less-fortunate slobs on dry land.   

Thank you in advance for your thoughtfulness.......

2 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Ahhhh, the navel of the world... lap of luxury... edge of nirvana... How can we properly describe the wonders of such a situation?   I can't begin!   We are all envious (well, maybe not all of us, I guess).   

If you can rouse yourself from the slumbers of the gently lapping waves, and all the extravagance in which you currently dwell, please say a prayer for all of us less-fortunate slobs on dry land.   

Thank you in advance for your thoughtfulness.......

Hahaha. Allow me to try to properly describe the edge of Nirvana...

"Rust, holes in the walls, old school shared toilets with the long handled squeegee to scrape up the shower water, lumpy pillow, raspy towel that barely holds water, 1 chocolate bar allowed per week on Sunday, a half cup of nuts on Wednesday. On Sunday, the best burgers available for 20 miles in any direction (we are 100 miles offshore), bitter coffee, vicious currents and waves which are "gently lapping" the shit out of us, bottled water d/t ship's water not safe to drink. 3 desks in a room about a third of the size of the gazebo, a lottery where one has a weekly chance to win the opportunity to pee in a cup, and no alcohol for a month."

It's actually the worst rust bucket I've been on in years. But it buys the bourbon and the guitars!

I suppose it could be described as the edge of Nirvana - if you're talking about Kurt Cobain screaming with his guitar amps on the verge of explosion...

• I like it 1

55 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

"Rust, holes in the walls, old school shared toilets with the long handled squeegee to scrape up the shower water, lumpy pillow, raspy towel that barely holds water, 1 chocolate bar allowed per week on Sunday, a half cup of nuts on Wednesday. On Sunday, the best burgers available for 20 miles in any direction (we are 100 miles offshore), bitter coffee, vicious currents and waves which are "gently lapping" the shit out of us, bottled water d/t ship's water not safe to drink. 3 desks in a room about a third of the size of the gazebo, a lottery where one has a weekly chance to win the opportunity to pee in a cup, and no alcohol for a month."

It's actually the worst rust bucket I've been on in years. But it buys the bourbon and the guitars!

I suppose it could be described as the edge of Nirvana - if you're talking about Kurt Cobain screaming with his guitar amps on the verge of explosion...

Whew!  I almost thought you were describing the GN there for a minute...  :D

Staying totally off topic, when you mentioned your location in your original post, I knew I had heard of Suriname, but knew nothing about it.  So, went to Google  for a search.  And, in true ‘Murican fashion, quickly learned it is not in SE Asia as I thought, but rather in NE South America...(Moron)...What a story it is (not entirely pleasant, however).  Very diverse due to its rather inglorious past (Slavery, indentured servitude, juntas, those sort of things)... It’s largest ethnic group is Indian.  Like Indian from the real India, believe it or not!!  Lots of other stuff I learned, too.  An idle mind does not have to be the Devil’s workshop, as long as you have an IPhone and Google... :D

• I like it 3

Geography was one of my better subjects when I was in school way back when. ;) I seemed to recall Dutch Surinam from back in my school days. I googled Suriname. Yep, it used to be Dutch Surinam. Every once in a while I get one right. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

Heeeeeeeeee-Heee!   I had some inkling how much I was overstating the luxury of your current billet; but, in reality you've described such a woeful experience that now I'm almost (almost... not quite, however) ashamed to have put it on you so badly, BT.    I'll try to console myself with some wonderful Bourbon or other . . . or ...maybe two (one for you, as well Paul!).   ?

Seriously, I hope your endurance of these atrocious conditions holds out long enough to make a clean getaway, and that your next situation is waaaaaay more accommodating . . . in every way!   Hang in there my friend!  :)

• I like it 2

On 10/9/2019 at 3:00 AM, pachary said:

I’m not a fan of Eagle Rare....

That'a my money backer too. Has a distinct wet-grass note for me. 

13 hours ago, Steven C said:

That'a my money backer too. Has a distinct wet-grass note for me. 

That’s exactly what I get from Makers 46 as well. 

• 3 weeks later...

WSR, OWA, W12 ... they just don’t do it for me. I leave them on the shelves for all the Weller whores out there.

• I like it 4

21 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

WSR, OWA, W12 ... they just don’t do it for me. I leave them on the shelves for all the Weller whores out there.

And we would like to thank you very much for your kindness and consideration.   ?

• I like it 8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.