Dang it... I want my money back.

Curtis Reed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, GeeTen said:

And we would like to thank you very much for your kindness and consideration.   ?

And thank you too Frank. Made me smile. Late entry for post of the year if ya’ ask me. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

On 11/3/2019 at 6:21 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

And thank you too Frank. Made me smile. Late entry for post of the year if ya’ ask me. ?

Biba! Joe

I don’t know man........I think you might be biased.

• I like it 3

8 minutes ago, flahute said:

I don’t know man........I think you might be biased.

Maybe. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 3/25/2019 at 4:48 PM, berto said:

The first batch of Stagg Jr.

But sometimes you have to be patient and give it another shot. (My palate is more variable and unreliable than most bourbons.)  I've had a half dozen Juniors since and have enjoyed them all. 

5 hours ago, Flyfish said:

But sometimes you have to be patient and give it another shot. (My palate is more variable and unreliable than most bourbons.)  I've had a half dozen Juniors since and have enjoyed them all. 

I created the Stagg Jr. blend with OC8 (which I changed to BT or ER when I ran out of OC8) precisely because of Stagg Jr. batch 1. The blend made it more than drinkable - it was downright good.

Subsequent batches have been great on their own but I still do the blend sometimes because it's good in a different way.

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, flahute said:

I created the Stagg Jr. blend with OC8 (which I changed to BT or ER when I ran out of OC8) precisely because of Stagg Jr. batch 1. The blend made it more than drinkable - it was downright good.

Subsequent batches have been great on their own but I still do the blend sometimes because it's good in a different way.

I used to mix with Charter 101 when that was available.  I've done BT as well but it didn't have the sweetness of C101.  Never tried OC8 or ER.

• 2 weeks later...

My week-long tussle with a BH Dark Rye I bought last year has hit a new low.  Wife just asked why I was mixing frizzante blood orange soda 50:50 with it.  Why did she ask?  When we watch TV, I NEVER bother with cocktails - too messy and time consuming AND I have to go in the other room to get parts.  I told her why - I am having trouble finishing this off.  "Why don't you just pour it out?"  From the mouth of a Babe!!:D

JUST IN CASE, though, I'll wait until the frizzante is gone.  One can never tell when a palate change is going to occur.:ph34r:

EDIT - Besides, I did buy two OGD BIBs and an OF Rye 100 today.  Plus, that ECPB B519 I just opened sits next to the BH.  AND, it's not like I don't already have more than a lifetime's stash around the house.  And in the trunk of my car.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 1

6 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

My week-long tussle with a BH Dark Rye I bought last year has hit a new low.  Wife just asked why I was mixing frizzante blood orange soda 50:50 with it.  Why did she ask?  When we watch TV, I NEVER bother with cocktails - too messy and time consuming AND I have to go in the other room to get parts.  I told her why - I am having trouble finishing this off.  "Why don't you just pour it out?"  From the mouth of a Babe!!:D

JUST IN CASE, though, I'll wait until the frizzante is gone.  One can never tell when a palate change is going to occur.:ph34r:

EDIT - Besides, I did buy two OGD BIBs and an OF Rye 100 today.  Plus, that ECPB B519 I just opened sits next to the BH.  AND, it's not like I don't already have more than a lifetime's stash around the house.  And in the trunk of my car.

If I ever have a bottle that is a bear to get through I'll buy some Simply Limeade as a mixer. It can cover up some pretty big whiskey flaws. 

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, JCwhammie said:

If I ever have a bottle that is a bear to get through I'll buy some Simply Limeade as a mixer. It can cover up some pretty big whiskey flaws. 

Agree.  It's also why I keep Agave syrup on hand.  A Lynchburg lemonade (bourbon, lemon/limeade, sugar syrup to taste) is hard to beat.  I just didn't feel like digging through the utility room floor space under the bottom shelf to find a Sprite.  The Frizzante was only six months past its BestBy date so I figured it'd work just fine.

OTOH, I am trying to talk myself into dumping it.  Maybe if dissolve one of my wife's Jelly Belly cotton candy jelly beans in it . . .

13 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Agree.  It's also why I keep Agave syrup on hand.  A Lynchburg lemonade (bourbon, lemon/limeade, sugar syrup to taste) is hard to beat.  I just didn't feel like digging through the utility room floor space under the bottom shelf to find a Sprite.  The Frizzante was only six months past its BestBy date so I figured it'd work just fine.

OTOH, I am trying to talk myself into dumping it.  Maybe if dissolve one of my wife's Jelly Belly cotton candy jelly beans in it . . .

My suggestion is Hot Toddy’s.  Juice from half a lemon, honey to taste, 2oz bourbon, stir then add hot water and/or a tea bag if wanted. Just melts through unwanted bourbon, especially as the wife will partake. She has 2, I have 3 and we are nearly through a half bottle in one night! 

• I like it 4

15 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

The Frizzante was only six months past its BestBy date so I figured it'd work just fine.

Heck yes it does! My wife often gives me crap about using things after their best by date. Sometimes my dislike of wasting things makes her cringe. 

33 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Your wife is absolutely correct Harry. Life's too short to drink shitty whiskey

• I like it 6

1 minute ago, JCwhammie said:

Heck yes it does! My wife often gives me crap about using things after their best by date. Sometimes my dislike of wasting things makes her cringe. 

Whenever I get hassled about a BB date, I point to all the canned goods found in the Arctic and Antarctic near where failed expeditions from circa 1900 expired and 2000+year old amphorae from the depths of the Mediterranean Sea - much of which has been found to be edible/potable.  Ruling out the occasional bloated can (which I will NOT eat) or fizzy bottles with no fizz when opened( which I will NOT drink), I'll chance the occasional Chef Boyardee Beef Ravioli that's less than five years old.  HECK, when I was in the Army training in the early 1960s, we ate C rations that had been packaged in the late 1940s.  I don't THINK any of us died.  Immediately.  Soon.

• I like it 1

13 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

As Robo Cop (Peter Weller) says to Jones (Ronnie Cox)  when Ronnie Cox says, "You're fired!", I say, "THANK YOU!"  I shall not shoot you and blow you out a window to fall many stories to your death.  Rather, I shall bow in your general direction and tell you that the BH DB is now history.  I like the bottle, though.  It's going through the dishwasher for use in decanting.

All you young persons out there - only two movies are referred to here.  Robo Cop is one.  What's the other?

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

All you young persons out there - only two movies are referred to here.  Robo Cop is one.  What's the other?

Young folks might have a better guess than some of us old farts running on one lone synapse

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

As Robo Cop (Peter Weller) says to Jones (Ronnie Cox)  when Ronnie Cox says, "You're fired!", I say, "THANK YOU!"  I shall not shoot you and blow you out a window to fall many stories to your death.  Rather, I shall bow in your general direction and tell you that the BH DB is now history.  I like the bottle, though.  It's going through the dishwasher for use in decanting.

Meaning of Life? 

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

god.  Dark rye still haunts me.  

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

Hear hear.

Words of wisdom from my wife: "You paid for it, you can do whatever you want with it." Including dumping it down the drain or simply not drinking (or eating) it.

This is something she often offers up when someone is struggling to finish a meal, a drink, whatever. Causing yourself displeasure by choking down some awful crap is not getting your money's worth!

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

52 minutes ago, EarthQuake said:

Hear hear.

Words of wisdom from my wife: "You paid for it, you can do whatever you want with it." Including dumping it down the drain or simply not drinking (or eating) it.

This is something she often offers up when someone is struggling to finish a meal, a drink, whatever. Causing yourself displeasure by choking down some awful crap is not getting your money's worth!

Thank you both for airing this particular method of ridding yourself from an inferior whiskey.

I've recently been on both a bottle killing mode as well as a thinning the herd from inferior members mode. 

This means that I had to pour out a MMCS strength from a few years ago. I tried many many combos (blends/mingles) to make it work and it ruined everything it touched. Down the drain it went. 

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

“Dishes and other chores- a documentary about Harry’s daily life” ???

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Meaning of Life? 

Yup.   Or maybe it was Monte Python and the Hold Grail - the one with the killer rabbit.  The actual quote is, "I faht in your general direction," yelled from the castle battlements.  Now that I think about it, it's time to watch them all again.

21 minutes ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Yup.   Or maybe it was Monte Python and the Hold Grail - the one with the killer rabbit.  The actual quote is, "I faht in your general direction," yelled from the castle battlements.  Now that I think about it, it's time to watch them all again.

Your mother was a hamster and your father smelt of elderberries!

It's from the Holy Grail.

• I like it 2

As I sit here after dinner and after consuming couple of eggnog plus Virgin bourbon cocktails while waiting for the chicken thighs to finish cooking, things keep drifting into my head - the battle cry "Run away!  Run away!"  The monks chanting while hitting themselves on their foreheads.  Eric Idle laughing at the killer rabbit - "What's it going to do?  Bite us on  the bum?"  And, of course, the Black Knight after John Cleese has cut off all his limbs, "Come back here, coward, and I'll bite your kneecaps off!"

AH, high art.  AND, thanks, Gary.  That's the scene I was remembering.

Of course, there is always, "Blessed are the cheesemakers."  Mrs. Gregory asks, "What's so special about cheesemakers?"  Life of Brian.

On 11/23/2019 at 6:27 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

My suggestion is Hot Toddy’s.  Juice from half a lemon, honey to taste, 2oz bourbon, stir then add hot water and/or a tea bag if wanted. Just melts through unwanted bourbon, especially as the wife will partake. She has 2, I have 3 and we are nearly through a half bottle in one night! 

^^^^
This is genius! 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.