Dang it... I want my money back.

Curtis Reed
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

20 minutes ago, berto said:

The first batch of Stagg Jr.

Even though I don’t want my money back, Stagg JR Batch #1 was a hot mess, and made me shy away from it for a while. Odd coincidence, I have a Stagg JR Batch #3/BT Blend in my glass as I type this. :D

Biba! Joe

Rittenhouse Rye. I bought it because it has gotten a lot of love here. Gave it to my buddy that will drink anything.

18 hours ago, Adam777 said:

Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Cherry Wood Smoked Barely. $100 and I can’t give this bottle away. Everyone that has tried has not liked it. I keep trying it randomly to see if air helped it but nothing. 

Ya know, the definition of insanity is doing the same thing again and again and expecting a different outcome.

Edited by Bourbon Air Tours
removed broken emoji
  • I like it 2

I am a little surprised, and then again - not, about all the Willett products listed in this tread.  I have been pretty happy with most of the Willett stuff I've had like their BIB, Johnny Drum 101, and Noah's Mill.  Tastes differ. 

Two that come to mind for me are JB BIB and OF Sig.  Wanted to like them and thought they would be in my wheelhouse but couldn't wait to get rid of them.

22 hours ago, kemosabe said:

For me Bib & Tucker is a big disappointment.  I got it as a gift, so at least I'm not out any $$.  I've mixed it with Coke and I still can't stand it.  Its probably going down the drain.

Agree

Woodford Reserve Masters Collection Cherry Wood Smoked Barely. $100 and I can’t give this bottle away. Everyone that has tried has not liked it. I keep trying it randomly to see if air helped it but nothing. 

I pretty much agree with you on this. I have gotten to a point where I think it’s unique and drinkable, but it’s definitely not one I’d buy again.

Rarely, have I been disappointed in a bourbon to think I would want my money back.  One bad bourbon was Old Crow White Label, it was given to me as a gag.  Boy was it bad.  I used it to strip varnish off furniture, not really but it was bad.

Few Rye & Bourbon - yuck.

Koval (everything they make is horrid - I got a sampler pack), one of the few things I've poured right down the drain.

Hochstadter's Straight Vatted Rye - I don't know what the "vat" is here but it sure tastes like some awful, young craft rye. If there is anything good in the blend they really messed it up.

Compass Box Hendonism - this stuff wasn't horrible but was $100 or so which is just way, way too much for this cloyingly sweet Canadian-whiskey-wannabe single grain scotch.

OWA store pick, instant regret, mostly because it was $65+ shipping. If it had been $30 I would have been okay with it, but this stuff is below average (Weller in general), bottom shelf whiskey. The thought that I could have had a Four Roses store pick for the same money makes me angry. I've been nursing it along as a mixer for the past year or so and have nearly finished it off.

Most bourbon from the big producers I can find something to appreciate, even if they're not my favorite.

Edited by EarthQuake

Joseph Magnus. I know people here seem to love it, and while I didn’t hate it, I had WAY higher expectations for $100. At $50ish I would have probably liked it but the flavor vs. the price really turned me against the brand.

11 hours ago, EarthQuake said:

Hochstadter's Straight Vatted Rye - I don't know what the "vat" is here but it sure tastes like some awful, young craft rye. If there is anything good in the blend they really messed it up.

Probably my favorite rye under $40

• I like it 1

Smooth Ambler Old Scout. Heard a lot about it, had a tough time finding it, kinda wish I didn't.

58 minutes ago, mross said:

Smooth Ambler Old Scout. Heard a lot about it, had a tough time finding it, kinda wish I didn't.

Which one out of curiosity?

• I like it 1

Curious which expression? The 7 & 10 year “Sarah” bottles were fantastic IMHO but the new Dickel sourced stuff.....blech

Have never bought a bottle, but tried a couple of pours and . . . I know it's sacrilege, but I really don't like WT 101.  I like a lot of other WT products but 101 just doesn't do it for me.  Can't see myself ever buying a bottle.

11 hours ago, kevinbrink said:

Probably my favorite rye under $40

Yeah this was extra disappointing because so many people seem to like it, but it's a big nope from me. I think we've been over this already, but it's overwhelmed by the young craft whiskey in the blend, it completely ruins it for me.

Under $40 there are some real nice ryes, Rittenhouse & Old Forester at $25 are both a clear, clear step up, HW Double Rye is pretty good, Old Overholt is a steal at its price point, Dickel & Sazerac are not my favorite but still pretty good. All of this stuff is way better than Hoch for me. And of course, get into $50-ish and you have Pikesville, Willett 4 year, etc, stuff that is beyond reproach.

Anyway, it's cool that you like it, I'm not trying to say you shouldn't. You can tell I'm still bitter about it though, which is why it gets a mention in this thread.?

Edited by EarthQuake
  • I like it 1

On 3/26/2019 at 4:47 PM, kevinbrink said:

Which one out of curiosity?

Mine says batch 9 bottled by Sarah.

46 minutes ago, mross said:

Mine says batch 9 bottled by Sarah.

Is it 7 year, 10 year or single barrel bourbon? Or is it the blue label American Whiskey?

52 minutes ago, kevinbrink said:

Is it 7 year, 10 year or single barrel bourbon? Or is it the blue label American Whiskey?

I don't think it had a age statement, but I'll check. In case anyone was wondering how I  can tell, Yes, I save the bottles.

• I like it 1

Ahh, Tuition whisky.  Currently in my rotation: OF86p, OF100p, VOB86p, Kopper Kettle, Drambuie 15, Nikka FTB.  Would have been fine with just a single pour of any of these.  Not bad but no bottle necessary.   

I've also had more than my share of outright stinkers.  My ability to shop more judiciously has greatly reduced their occurrence. 

• I like it 1

Ahh, Tuition whisky.  Currently in my rotation: OF86p, OF100p, VOB86p, Kopper Kettle, Drambuie 15, Nikka FTB.  Would have been fine with just a single pour of any of these.  Not bad but no bottle necessary.   

I've also had more than my share of outright stinkers.  My ability to shop more judiciously has greatly reduced their occurrence. 

Hmmm...I quite like Nikka FTB, and added a few to the bunker before they became unicorns last year after Whiskey Advocate named it their No. 1 whiskey of the year in 2018. I’ve also got some older 6yr age stated VOB86 that I like pretty good, especially given the low price that I paid for them.

Drambuie is something I only use to make the occasional “Rusty Nail” cocktail, but I have considered the 15yo a few times, but just figured why bother if I’m just using it as a mixer anyway.

I agree with you on those two Old Foresters, but I like a lot of their Whiskey Row series. I haven’t tried the Kopper Kettle, but probably wouldn’t buy one without tasting first.
  • I like it 1

Ok, looks like American Whiskey.20190328_211956.jpeg20190328_211945.jpeg
  • I like it 1

On 3/24/2019 at 6:12 PM, 0895 said:

Noah's mill.  

Would have been more interesting to watch $45 get flushed...

Yep, not a fan either.  Haven't had a pour of it in 7 or 8 years.  Maybe it's gotten better.

Edited by jcg9779

36 minutes ago, jcg9779 said:

Yep, not a fan either.  Haven't had a pour of it in 7 or 8 years.  Maybe it's gotten better.

Let me know what you find out...  :P

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.