What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Spring 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

Rural Inn and Westport are among the best LS for store picks!

Even though I ain’t got it too bad (yet) here in Illinois, there are times that I do miss living in Indy. :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

13 hours ago, fanostra said:

Had to drive to Kentucky for work this week. Came back with some goodies.

Russell’s Reserve barrel picks from Rural Inn and Westport Wine & Spirits. And found a place with heavily discounted Saffell, easily my favorite of the year so far (yes, I left some on the shelf). Oh, and one of these groovy 4R SmB Select that I can’t get up here.

A189D7B4-1D30-48E5-8FDB-762A60A7D2AE.jpeg

Awesome score. Saffel is the only thing I have been actively looking for, and am willing to pay full MSRP, but I haven't seen any around Atlanta. Granted I have only had the time to look at 5-6 places this year. I don't know if I missed it in GA or if it hasn't hit yet.

Picked up the last bottle of Little Book in my local Pennsy State store.    It may make a nice gift for my future son-in-law when I travel to Chicago for my daughter's wedding later this month.  

• I like it 1

On 5/28/2019 at 2:36 PM, JMFH said:

Did the New Riff tour today while picking up my bottle of Single Barrel Rye (distillery only release via online sales).  Looking forward to doing a SBS with the Willett 4 year rye I have.  Grabbed another bottle of the regular single barrel while I was at it.  Apparently they have a malted rye release coming up in the next few months.  Sounds interesting.  5 year single barrel should be later this year.

spacer.png

Ive become a huge New Riff fan.

How is the rye?

I bought two bottles, (I have a friend who lives near the distillery,  but she won't be in our neck of the woods until September). I bought the  2292 & 1941.

• I like it 1

Picked up the Elmer and second Fitz13 today. Thought it’d be a good chance for a photo of the week. 

D805A59A-5A9A-4460-A531-0B33028B5B3A.jpeg

• I like it 8

Two bottles of WT101 LL/GI for $26.58 + tax.  Not each.  Both...  On sale at my local supermarket.  I'm a happy camper! 

WT LL-GI.jpg

• I like it 13

Ordered this online today.  Never seen a 1792 FP with an age statement on the sticker...

Full_Proof_1792.jpg

• I like it 3

9 minutes ago, fosmith said:

Ordered this online today.  Never seen a 1792 FP with an age statement on the sticker...

Full_Proof_1792.jpg

Interesting, but I wonder if that would constitute an “age statement”?  I would think not, since the verbiage on those stickers is “written” by the barrel selector.  I’m pretty sure that the Distillery would not allow it if it were not true since the Distillery prints it, but not sure it has any official meaning.  

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, fosmith said:

Two bottles of WT101 LL/GI for $26.58 + tax.  Not each.  Both...  On sale at my local supermarket.  I'm a happy camper! 

WT LL-GI.jpg

Now that's a deal!

• I like it 1

Happy Friday!  Had the offer to add a backup bottle of a long time favorite of mine, and I did not say no. 

3D184ED7-AC43-4EF8-9A9B-2EC724477E30.jpeg

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Ive become a huge New Riff fan.

How is the rye?

I bought two bottles, (I have a friend who lives near the distillery,  but she won't be in our neck of the woods until September). I bought the  2292 & 1941.

I have not seen a single barrel yet but I did enjoy the bottle I bought at Costco for $29.99.  I think it is competitive with Knob Creek NAS, which I also like.  I am not sure it can compete with WT101 which I can get for $20.99.  It falls into the WR, WT101, KC, EC tier for me.  However, most LS are selling it for $39.99 which pushes it out of the buy range.  I will pick up another bottle or two at Costco.

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

I have not seen a single barrel yet but I did enjoy the bottle I bought at Costco for $29.99.  I think it is competitive with Knob Creek NAS, which I also like.  I am not sure it can compete with WT101 which I can get for $20.99.  It falls into the WR, WT101, KC, EC tier for me.  However, most LS are selling it for $39.99 which pushes it out of the buy range.  I will pick up another bottle or two at Costco.

I bought a couple at Kroger,  when we were in Kentucky for ~ $32.00

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Interesting, but I wonder if that would constitute an “age statement”?  I would think not, since the verbiage on those stickers is “written” by the barrel selector.  I’m pretty sure that the Distillery would not allow it if it were not true since the Distillery prints it, but not sure it has any official meaning.

Yeah.  Probably not approved by the TTB but analogous to the age statement on KC SiB store picks.  Anyway, interesting.  Looking forward to seeing if this is a good pick...

13 hours ago, Radioyada said:

Happy Friday!  Had the offer to add a backup bottle of a long time favorite of mine, and I did not say no. 

3D184ED7-AC43-4EF8-9A9B-2EC724477E30.jpeg

Is the blue "tax stamp strip" new. I would have to check but I think the color has always been burnt umber (same as bottle label). 

• I like it 2

39 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

Is the blue "tax stamp strip" new. I would have to check but I think the color has always been burnt umber (same as bottle label). 

I think maybe he ended up with my old phone camera... ?

I’m pretty sure  it’s still the “burnt umber”.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, FacePlant said:

I will have to check when I get home. Am betting it was a reflection of something on the television. Did not even notice it in the picture. 

20 hours ago, Supercharger said:

Picked up the Elmer and second Fitz13 today. Thought it’d be a good chance for a photo of the week. 

D805A59A-5A9A-4460-A531-0B33028B5B3A.jpeg

We have such a thing? 

• I like it 3

On 6/7/2019 at 10:04 AM, dad-proof said:

Awesome score. Saffel is the only thing I have been actively looking for, and am willing to pay full MSRP, but I haven't seen any around Atlanta. Granted I have only had the time to look at 5-6 places this year. I don't know if I missed it in GA or if it hasn't hit yet.

If I had to guess, it probably hasn’t reached Atlanta yet because it is readily available up here. 

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Phil T said:

We have such a thing? 

I don’t think so. But I do. 

I usually buy in spurts.  I still visit liquor stores regularly but usually just size up what is out there unless I run across something unique or something at a "can't pass" price.  I know what I like and what I can find it for.  I no longer feel an obligation for the privilege of shopping in a store.  Of course, personal interaction with a knowledgeable employee tends to prompt me toward a purchase as well but that rarely happens anymore.  

However, today an interesting thing happened.  I am in the beginning phases of another buying spurt.  I know this because I have saved up some money with the intent of stocking up on things I like and also adding a few different bottles.  So, I stopped in a fairly local store that used to be my primary store until management changed.  This store is part of a larger Indy-area chain.  They have a Bourbon of the Month.  Usually it is a store select bottle.  They send their folks down to KY or wherever to make the pick and usually do a good job.  In April, the BOM was a 14 year 8 month old KCSB.  I reserved a bottle but never received a call that it came in.  Recently, I saw that it had sold out so I figured it was gone.  I even checked with the store to find out why I hadn't received a call.  Anyway, I stopped in the store today, only to find a single bottle sitting on the shelf behind the counter.  I talked with the supervisor in the store a little and then ended up buying the bottle.  My guess is it was originally suppose to be the bottle I reserved but never got the call to pick up.  It worked out anyway so it was meant to be.  

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.