What bottles did you open today ? (Spring ‘19)

Mako254
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

53 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Oh...just a trio of Jeff’s 18’s, a 21, and a 60’s OWA...

Loser...  :D

I’d be bunker shamed if I showed the whole stash B)

• I like it 5

3 minutes ago, jvd99 said:

I’d be bunker shamed if I showed the whole stash B)

In this crowd...probably!  :D

• I like it 1

CEHT Straight Rye.  Man is it good.

CEHT STR RYE.jpeg

• I like it 2

13 hours ago, Clueby said:

This is a stellar batch.

I just opened my bottle of C-918 the other day and the first pour was hard to judge but had some last night and completely agree with your opinion.  Luckily, it seem plentiful here in the Bay Area right now for some reason. 

• I like it 1

Opened a bottle of Single Barrel Buffalo Trace from 2017 that was 8 years old. Damn was it good!

18 hours ago, elmossle said:

Opened a bottle of Single Barrel Buffalo Trace from 2017 that was 8 years old. Damn was it good!

You finished it already?  :P

Bib! Joe

I will be taking a bottle to my brother's for the Preakness. So opening technically on Sat. so please play along.   I am going to let all of you pick it.  I have not tried any of these....please give me your input.  Which would you pick?

#1.  Barrell Dovetail

#2  Willett Family Estate Single Barrel 6Y 126.8 Proof Bourbon

#3  Angels Envy / Oloroso Sherry Cask

or the wildcard just got from a friend

#4 Nikka Whiskey From The Barrel

20 minutes ago, callingtom said:

I will be taking a bottle to my brother's for the Preakness. So opening technically on Sat. so please play along.   I am going to let all of you pick it.  I have not tried any of these....please give me your input.  Which would you pick?

#1.  Barrell Dovetail

I'd go Dovetail, I'm looking forward to cracking mine, were I drinking at the moment I tend to go Rye for the Preakness, it just feels right considering that's what MD was known for distilling (not to complicate things for you ;))

• I like it 1

#1.  Barrell Dovetail

I haven’t tried #1 or #2, so I’d choose #4. It’s really good! I’ll probably be picking up a bottle of #1 soon, but I’ll probably pass on WFE until I see some more reviews on how their distillate is turning out as it ages.
  • I like it 1

The Willett.    Bourbon is always better than any other choice, and barrel-proofers usually are at least interesting.    Some of these 'younger' WFESB's are surprisingly fine pours.   No guarantees, of course (as they are SB's); but, that's my suggestion without tasting any of your bottles.

• I like it 1

On 5/10/2019 at 9:24 PM, Vosgar said:

I posted this in the "Does the current value prevent you from opening it" thread last month:

Bottles I have that go for 2-5x what I paid for them, no problem opening those. It's some of the others that have gone completely nuts that make me pause. 

An example: When the CEHT Warehouse C Tornado Surviving bourbon came out, I got to try it (thanks Dawn & Jon!), loved it, and bought a bunch of them. I've drank a few, but now that they're going for 15-20x what I paid for them, it makes it tough to open another one.

Someday I'll get over it, maybe.......

Well, today was the day I got over it :) 

taylor.jpg

My gosh I love this whiskey! Tonight I'm even getting a little bit of that old time butterscotch taste that I don't ever remember getting with previous bottles 

I went through 3 when they first came out. My favorite whiskey of all time. Just like POH, the balance is superb. Everything I want from a bourbon.

17 hours ago, callingtom said:

#1.  Barrell Dovetail

Stay away from Dovetail until you try it.

We had a bottle at our Kentucky barrel pick gathering last week and it was universally hated.

35 minutes ago, flahute said:

We had a bottle at our Kentucky barrel pick gathering last week and it was universally hated.

Too late!  I own all these bottles......so I am going to open them all eventually.

I thought Dovetail was delicious when I cracked it. But I would go with the Willet.

On sale for $29.  Technically not bourbon but you wouldn't know tasting it.  Very, very good.  My first Smooth Ambler purchase and, I have to say, I'm impressed. 

old scout 107.jpg

• I like it 2

On sale for $29.  Technically not bourbon but you wouldn't know tasting it.  Very, very good.  My first Smooth Ambler purchase and, I have to say, I'm impressed. 

640664850_oldscout107.jpg.e71f949df9c9bff570d22bd95af4f60f.jpg

Those SAOS 107 private selections can be pretty good...I’ve got a few and really like them.

Long hard day of yard work. 5 scoops of mulch spread plus so much more. Here’s hoping the Binny’s pickers did as well on this one as they usually do. And my Cardinals are up 6-0. So I got that going for me. IMG_1804.jpg

• I like it 2

On 5/13/2019 at 7:00 AM, fosmith said:

I just opened my bottle of C-918 the other day and the first pour was hard to judge but had some last night and completely agree with your opinion.  Luckily, it seem plentiful here in the Bay Area right now for some reason. 

@fosmith, hope you don't mind me asking, but where are you located in the East Bay? I'm in Berkeley and I'm enjoying this rainy May evening. 

Cheers,

Nancy

16 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@fosmith, hope you don't mind me asking, but where are you located in the East Bay? I'm in Berkeley and I'm enjoying this rainy May evening. 

Cheers,

Nancy

Nancy, I'm in Orinda just over the hill from you.  Would love to meet a real whiskey blender one of these days.  If you know any other local SBers, maybe we can do a GTG...

Fred

• I like it 1

Saffell is very good. Initial thoughts were very viscous, lots of toffee, vanilla, the flavors that you hear when people talk about Vintage Turkey. But I’ve not had much of that so only a guess if it’s the same level. Also reminded me a lot of Rare Breed. Probably will buy a RB and blind them a few times.

CAD0DCDF-E1FA-43B1-955D-3E152A96E576.jpeg

• I like it 2

Old Ezra barrel strength. Like it better blended 50/50 with HM 10yo and an ice ball.

0520191911.jpg

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.