What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today, Summer 2019

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 minutes ago, silverc said:

A couple of pick ups from VA ABC to add to the bunker. The Rebel Yell 100 must have just come out. I was surprised to see it in VA, The EW SB was on "sale" at $30, the RY100 was $20, and the JB Distiller's cut was $25. Not amazing prices, but it could be worse. I may get a few more of the DC as that's great stuff for the price.

Have a good weekend everyone!

IMG_4290.JPG

I’m curious to hear your thoughts on the RY100. For $20 it’s certainly worth giving a shot.

A couple of pick ups from VA ABC to add to the bunker. The Rebel Yell 100 must have just come out. I was surprised to see it in VA, The EW SB was on "sale" at $30, the RY100 was $20, and the JB Distiller's cut was $25. Not amazing prices, but it could be worse. I may get a few more of the DC as that's great stuff for the price.

Have a good weekend everyone!

IMG_4290.thumb.JPG.0a0bb6a13a894b7a317e55b30ca6e28d.JPG

Very nice as DC stated very interested what you think about the RY 100, the 10years are great.

Also love the Beam DC, haven’t seen them for a while.

1 hour ago, Cornfed12 said:

ECBP today first bottle 

Good deal!  Enjoy!  Not always easy to find but it can be found with a little effort and/or luck.   

6 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Interesting you have an pictures?

spacer.png spacer.png

Edited by FasterHorses

enhance enhance

I’m sorry but I highly doubt that’s an 83 bottling. Almost every liquor store in Houston has WSR pints behind the counter. There glass but have a similar plastic label and look very similar to this but glass bottles. Prior to this they had a paper label that looks like this.
IMG_6922.jpg

Maybe this is a bottling in between the two or perhaps in different markets they sell this as a plastic bottle but never seen them in Texas?

43 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

spacer.png spacer.png

If it's really from 1983, it should have a Louisville address on the label, not Frankfort.  That was later.  Also, I think plastic liquor bottles are more modern.

Regardless, if the whiskey is good, enjoy it.

1983 could just be a number for the bottle mold.  

• I like it 1

18 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

I’m sorry but I highly doubt that’s an 83 bottling. Almost every liquor store in Houston has WSR pints behind the counter. There glass but have a similar plastic label and look very similar to this but glass bottles. Prior to this they had a paper label that looks like this.
IMG_6922.jpg

Maybe this is a bottling in between the two or perhaps in different markets they sell this as a plastic bottle but never seen them in Texas?

Looks like a pint but its a 750. I agree its highly unlikely its anything but 2018. I have a friend who needs a WSR so nothing lost with this purchase. 

Looks like a pint but its a 750. I agree its highly unlikely its anything but 2018. I have a friend who needs a WSR so nothing lost with this purchase. 

I’ve actually seen those 750 plastic bottles from BT with Old Charter. Absolutely nothing lost, standard recent WSR is still good whiskey.

Also not that long ago WSR was age stated but maybe not in a plastic bottling.

The 83 I think would be the date of the mold but not really sure. I also think they generally need to be replaced or updated about every year. Also not sure if they’d be using a plastic bottle that long ago.
  • I like it 1

7 hours ago, gurgalunas said:

If she knew exactly how many bottles I have, I'd be at the bottom of a 6' deep hole in the back yard, and not getting out...

That just might be but first, tell her you're in preparation for the zombie apocalypse.

• I like it 2

While out and about yesterday, (yadda yadda yadda) I bought an ER 10 for $28.99. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

While out and about yesterday, (yadda yadda yadda) I bought an ER 10 for $28.99. 

Biba! Joe

Good price

Cheers

As they say.  Good things come to those who stand in line and get their number drawn.  Well that's not really what they say but . . . anyway, I got my number called today and brought home a bottle of . . .

PAPPY 15.jpeg

• I like it 22

17 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

As they say.  Good things come to those who stand in line and get their number drawn.  Well that's not really what they say but . . . anyway, I got my number called today and brought home a bottle of . . .

PAPPY 15.jpeg

Congrats! Had to work so didnt get to go.

Been wanting to try this since watching the Bourbon Guild review on YouTube. Grabbed a bottle yesterday. It didn't disappoint, but I think I'm going to prefer it with a small ice cube dropped in. 

old_forester_1920__76592.1480474340.jpg

• I like it 3

Picked up a store pick of 1792 FP. I've had a store pick of this that I liked quite a bit and another that was beyond hot.

12 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

11 hours ago, Wedelstaedt said:

Good price

Cheers

I know Vosgar is gonna give me a hard time sooner or later........  :mellow:    I keep saying that I’m gonna cut back on my  purchases, but I keep finding things I like at reasonable prices.  I reckon that as long as my luck holds out, I’m just gonna have to keep on keepin’ on. ;)

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

44 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I know Vosgar is gonna give me a hard time sooner or later........  :mellow:    I keep saying that I’m gonna cut back on my  purchases, but I keep finding things I like at reasonable prices.  I reckon that as long as my luck holds out, I’m just gonna have to keep on keepin’ on. ;)

Biba! Joe

Moi? Give you a hard time? :rolleyes:  

Oh yeah, forgot that's part of the reason you call me The Voshole :P

Nice buy, Joe. Besides, how can I give you a hard time buying a bottle that has your name on the back label (Joe C)?

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Vosgar said:

Moi? Give you a hard time? :rolleyes:  

Oh yeah, forgot that's part of the reason you call me The Voshole :P

Nice buy, Joe. Besides, how can I give you a hard time buying a bottle that has your name on the back label (Joe C)?

Thanks pal. That didn’t hurt near as much as I thought it would. :)

Biba! El Doucé

I know Vosgar is gonna give me a hard time sooner or later........  :mellow:    I keep saying that I’m gonna cut back on my  purchases, but I keep finding things I like at reasonable prices.  I reckon that as long as my luck holds out, I’m just gonna have to keep on keepin’ on. [emoji6]

Biba! Joe

Joe, You might as well stock up on bottles you like now when you find them at a good price. It’s not like they’re going to go bad any time soon!
  • I like it 2

Blaum Bros, which is a bit under 2 hours away from me here in Iowa City, just released a new batch of the 12. So we got in the car and took a drive. Stopped at a few stores just across border in IL and found a few store picks and other goodies that are harder to find in Iowa.

blaum.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, EarthQuake said:

Blaum Bros, which is a bit under 2 hours away from me here in Iowa City, just released a new batch of the 12. So we got in the car and took a drive. Stopped at a few stores just across border in IL and found a few store picks and other goodies that are harder to find in Iowa.

blaum.jpg

I almost made the trip this morning from Davenport to Blaum but figured they had already sold out.  Just had a pour of the Vans Knob myself tonight.

blaum.thumb.jpg.7111a1bb07957018747b9618dd86da5a.jpg

What’s the Tennessee rye? Intrigued.

1 hour ago, lrochau said:

I almost made the trip this morning from Davenport to Blaum but figured they had already sold out.  Just had a pour of the Vans Knob myself tonight.

Ah that's a shame, I got there around noon and they still had a bunch. I think they sold out at around 7pm or so.

I cracked the Knob and had a wee dram, it seems very good.

53 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

What’s the Tennessee rye? Intrigued.

This is part of the Obtanium series bottled by Cats Eye. 5 year old, barrel proof (about 110 I think), likely Jack Daniel's sourced. About $60 or so in the Illinois area and maybe a few of the border states. The guys who bottle this are in Iowa but IL gets it first because the Iowa state controlled distribution system is slow. The same guys did a 14 year light whiskey sourced from MGP, and I think they have plans to do more one-offs like this. 

I got into this as well tonight. It has a very distinct grassy / fresh sugar cane juice note which I rarely get in whiskey, but expect in rhum agricole. When it opens up a bit it's a big punch of cinnamon / red hot candies. Nice, drying finish. It's weird but good. A nice change up from the typical KY and IN ryes. I haven't had any JD rye to see how this compares, so maybe this is somewhat typical of the style?

Edited by EarthQuake

On 6/28/2019 at 10:29 PM, FasterHorses said:

spacer.png spacer.png

I see that recycling symbol on the bottle there. Was that even a thing in '83? Where's our plastics guy?? :) 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.