What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sky Club bottle kill of OF Statesman... I’ve learned to prey on the low bottles, as it typically results in a triple. 

06442AE4-4045-4AB4-B496-5BE73A69BB6D.thumb.jpeg.e4296b0f95ab3318f07d0cf9fb895679.jpeg

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 6

The Cards completed a 4 game sweep at Wrigley for the first time since 1921, so I'm celebrating with this beauty. 

20190922_160613.jpg

• I like it 7

34 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Sky Club bottle kill of OF Statesman... I’ve learned to prey on the low bottles, as it typically results in a triple. 

06442AE4-4045-4AB4-B496-5BE73A69BB6D.thumb.jpeg.e4296b0f95ab3318f07d0cf9fb895679.jpeg

Ha!

Nice to meet someone else who uses that strategy.

If they start to bring the bottle up, you can say something joking like "I don't think there's a full pour left in that bottle" and they'll usually just dump it all in your glass.

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

As the Nats trail the Marlins on a Sunday afternoon, AND because I was curious, I am in the midst of a side by side of WT MK Decades and Murray Hill Club Batch 18.  Why?  Because - When I tasted the MHC Batch 18 a few days ago, it reminded me of the Decades even though I hadn't had a sip of Decades in months.  I've had no spicy food since last night (and that wasn't really all that spice - just some tomatoes and a vinegar dressing and salmon filets) so figured this afternoon, which is going bad quickly (thanks, Nats) needed some distractive activity.

One ounce of each.  Both have wonderful legs, and the MHC is slightly lighter.

The nose on the Decades is classic 100+ proof WT - oak and caramel (but not TOO sweet) with some dried fruit or mild orange bitters.  It is exceptionally balanced with no particular smell dominating.  The nose of the MHC has less oak but does have the slight caramel and dried fruit I found in the Decades.  The MHC seems to have a bit more complexity which I attribute to the fact that it is a blend of several whiskeys and not just a mic of bourbons.

The palate differences are interesting.  The Decades started with a bit of heat (not a surprise for a 104 proof) which gave way rapidly to oak, creamy butterscotch (feel and essence) with a little smoke and some spices.  The MHC skipped the heat (which was a surprise given its 103 proof) but also had a creamy mouth feel and a bourbon-like, complex of flavors - caramel, dried fruit, and some astringency that I attributed to oak which was NOT really present (or at least not easily found) - and while these were well-balanced, they were muted compared to the Decades.

The finishes were very similar.  Both were long with a nice balance of sweetness and mild spice.  The only difference in essences I think I found is that the Decades had a hint of dried fruit and a bit more oak while the MHC had a fruit-brandy hint.

Decades is 75% corn, 13% rye, and 13% malted barley.  The MHC, I think, is a blend of 9-10 YO light whiskey (maybe 20% of the blend?), 12-13 YO MGP bourbon with the 13% rye mash bill, and 19 YO MGP bourbon (but I don't know which one).  There COULD be some as yet unidentified KSBW supplementing the MGP (depending on the batch), but I don't know whose or how much or of what age.

Final thoughts - I have some scotch drinking relatives who are not all that fond of my special bourbons.  This MHC is a hit with  persons who like mild peat but don't like oak.  I expect I'll offer them this unless I have some special single malt sitting around which I don't usually.

Nats lost.  Glad I kept this to about an ounce each.

@Harry in WashDC, wow, that's a very interesting comparison between Decades and MHC! Its been a while since I've had Decades, and after reading your tasting notes, that's really making me want to revisit it. I haven't seen it out here in a while, so I'll need to hunt for it. 

Just a few technical notes on the MHC- both the MGP bourbons (the 12 y.o. and 19 y.o.) are from the same mash bill, which is the 21% rye recipe. 

Also, if your bottle is one with the slight recipe modification of KSBW in the mix, it should have both KY and IN on the label. However, based on your taste profile, I doubt that you have this bottling. 

At any rate, I enjoyed your comparison review! Sorry about the Nats..... ?

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 1

FR SiB to celebrate the Cardinals first four game sweep at Wrigley since 1921. Good warmup but I think I need something special to be determined.

• I like it 2

IMG_5920.JPG

Sweep of the Cubbies, knocked them out of the division race, AND clinched first postseason appearance since 2015 (yes, I’m aware we are spoiled by our own success in Cardinals Nation). Called for a treat though.

• I like it 5

Russell’s lite. 

Not very many sub 100 proofers earn their keep in my cabinet but this one does. 

A very nice balance of sweet, oak, and enough spice that you know it is ‘Turkey. 

I’d wager the best introduction to WT for anyone who hasn’t tried Wild Turkey yet. 

C052CFA4-CC54-47BE-900D-7EDF9701B830.jpeg

• I like it 1

I'll jump on the Cardinals sweep of the Cubbies celebration bandwagon, having some W.B. Saffell. In the grand scheme of WT whiskies, this one might not be able to justify its price, but it's darn good

• I like it 5

2 hours ago, BMartin42 said:

IMG_5920.JPG

Sweep of the Cubbies, knocked them out of the division race, AND clinched first postseason appearance since 2015 (yes, I’m aware we are spoiled by our own success in Cardinals Nation). Called for a treat though.

I was at the Blues preseason game tonight and they showed the Cards win on Ava. (the Blues won as well)  I popped open a Blanton's from 9/18 when I got home. Nice creamy feel on this one. 

• I like it 2

My tears are falling into a Binny's ER pick from a couple years ago but recently opened. This is quite surprisingly a strawberry bomb - something Ive never gotten from BT stuff.

f**cking cardinals.

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Now THIS is a pro tip!  Well played...

• I like it 1

On 9/21/2019 at 8:28 PM, WhiskeyBlender said:

@jeffrey r (and @FasterHorses), ah, the infamous Cigar Blend batch "Lucky #13"! So, if memory serves me correctly, I put that one into the Armagnac barrel around the last of July/beginning of August last year. The majority of the blend is comprised of mostly 36% 13 year old MGP bourbon, with some 13 y.o. 21% bourbon, followed by a healthy amount of 20 year old bourbon to give it more length and depth on the palate.

Nancy, thanks so much for the great write-up and information!  And wouldn't you know it, but I was picking something up separately this weekend, and I stumbled upon a Batch 14 Cigar Blend.  Purchased it of course... :)

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, Whiskeythink.com said:

f**cking cardinals.

This^^

that is all......

• I like it 1

• 5 months later...
On 8/28/2019 at 7:06 PM, smokinjoe said:

I need something to get me completely over the hump on this Wednesday of a tough week so far, so I pulled out the GBS PS Elijah Craig 15 yr Barrel Proof to help.  The “Amnesia Bottle” is quickly helping me forget the first 3 days...  :D

2F0BD210-B7AB-450D-9E52-BE081C5FFD91.jpeg

I had been looking for information on this bottle.  I finished one last year and have one more unopened.  This was an amazing pour.  Excellent job on picking this.  I'm new to the site and can see that this barrel/bottle has some loyal following here.  Cheers.

I finished a bottle of Baby Saz, and made a start on a new bottle of Early Times BIB.   Wildly different pours to be sure; but both quite nice today.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.