What Bourbon Are You Drinking? (Summer 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Wow...Fantastic price! I’m assuming the store got a deal from the distributors or they were trying clear out older inventory. The cheapest I’ve ever seen it in my area was around $125, and I thought I was getting a bargain since most stores in my area that still have it on the shelves have it priced at the original MSRP of $150.

They where definitely trying to clear out inventory. It’s a local chain where it seemed every store in town was sitting on at least five of these. Maybe it was $90 something but definitely under $100. I looked again recently and they moved the price back to the $120 range.
  • I like it 1

The first, only, and probably, last time I actually enjoyed a pour of Old Forester 1910.  It has always had that sickly saccharin-laden artificial sweetener taste to my palate.  Tonight, it’s quite nice.  But, I’m having it after a heavy and big marinara pizza with plenty of tanginess.  It pairs well, here.  Perhaps, I might make it through this bottle by making this my pizza night whiskey... :D  Well, I have plenty of this bottle left, so I have a lot of pizzas to go.  

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 4

A sample from a friend of one of the absolute best KC SB store picks bourbon's period, I’ve ever had. I think it was 14-15 years old. 

Still mad at myself for not buying a bottle...

21408C66-A00D-4A67-BCAE-C970747D2753.jpeg

Edited by 0895

A sample from a friend of one of the absolute best KC SB store picks I’ve ever had. I think it was 14-15 years old. 

21408C66-A00D-4A67-BCAE-C970747D2753.thumb.jpeg.848988da0601daed41fa9411612b181f.jpeg

Some great color.
  • I like it 1

54 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

The first, only, and probably, last time I actually enjoyed a pour of Old Forester 1910.  It had always has that sickly saccharin-laden artificial sweetener taste to my palate.  Tonight, it’s quite nice.  But, I’m having it after a heavy and big marinara pizza with plenty of tanginess.  It pairs well, here.  Perhaps, I might make it through this bottle this by making this my pizza night whiskey... :D  Well, I have plenty of this bottle left, so I have a lot of pizzas to go.  

I'll have to remember to try my 1910 again after a good Italian meal. From previous experience I know a nice red sauce has worked before on whiskies that I didn't really care for and hopefully it'll work again. Otherwise, this bottle may sit on the bar forever (unless I get rid of it next April in B'town)

The first, only, and probably, last time I actually enjoyed a pour of Old Forester 1910.  It had always has that sickly saccharin-laden artificial sweetener taste to my palate.  Tonight, it’s quite nice.  But, I’m having it after a heavy and big marinara pizza with plenty of tanginess.  It pairs well, here.  Perhaps, I might make it through this bottle this by making this my pizza night whiskey... [emoji3]  Well, I have plenty of this bottle left, so I have a lot of pizzas to go.  

Perhaps your taste buds are finally coming around to recognize the delicious character of whiskey that’s in that bottle. There may be hope for you yet Joe. [emoji6]

I'll have to remember to try my 1910 again after a good Italian meal. From previous experience I know a nice red sauce has worked before on whiskies that I didn't really care for and hopefully it'll work again. Otherwise, this bottle may sit on the bar forever (unless I get rid of it next April in B'town)

I’ll drink some if you bring it! I’m still kicking myself for not buying more than one bottle when the first batch came out, because it’s nowhere to be found anymore in my area. I hear the next batch is coming out soon. I hope it’s as good as the first batch...for me anyway! [emoji3]
  • I like it 1

3 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Wow I realized I didn’t have any open Turkey for Turkey Thursday, just fixed that.

The Decades really is an exceptional bottle. Fantastic spice, perfect example of Turkey profile, maybe a hint of the old dusty in there. It states 10-20 years. You can taste the older stuff but done really, really well.

I bought it for $90 and wish I opened it earlier and bought a few more. If I see it again for that price I’m buying multiples. I think Turkey is my favorite distiller. There high end is great and available and there low end is great and available.

IMG_8102.jpg

$90!! At that price I’d flirt with divorce  with the number of bottles I’d buy (all of them). 

• I like it 3

1 minute ago, lcpfratn said:

I’ll drink some if you bring it! I’m still kicking myself for not buying more than one bottle when the first batch came out, because it’s nowhere to be found anymore in my area. I hear the next batch is coming out soon. I hope it’s as good as the first batch...for me anyway! emoji3.png

If I bring it, it's not going home with me if there's any left. You'll have first dibs, unless Stu gets a hold of it :D

• I like it 1

Enjoying the remaining (2nd) half of another sample I got awhile back. 

MGP goodness. 

This day is getting better.  Slowly.

:)

D5755545-7E36-44E5-BFC2-DECC5B86B293.jpeg

• I like it 4

Having a pour of Murray Hill in my new favorite glass. I don’t know what they call this particular glass, but I love it. 

06B7B2AA-6B6A-4A95-97CC-6ED62830FFF9.thumb.jpeg.f2d988191bece8d5b4d87341551b3f3f.jpeg

• I like it 2

Long week.  Went for a tour-de-force on Friday night.  The Cigar Blend is so interesting, unique and complex (and good).

B3C35E2D-265F-4B3D-AC92-888115E2DE9A.jpeg

• I like it 3

First go with WTRB. Damn good. Nose is great with just very light ethanol. The finish is great and long. Drinks a good bit below the proof. Spicy and delicious.
IMG_3371.JPG

• I like it 2

BT in the glass. Boy oh boy is this tasting especially good tonight. Glad I have a “few” bottles in the bunker. :P

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, jeffrey r said:

Long week.  Went for a tour-de-force on Friday night.  The Cigar Blend is so interesting, unique and complex (and good).

B3C35E2D-265F-4B3D-AC92-888115E2DE9A.jpeg

Almost pulled the trigger.. went back and it was gone. What does it compare to?

On 9/19/2019 at 9:22 PM, Mako254 said:

Very good for 5 yrs 10 mos. 

AD9196D8-506F-41D9-B68F-32B00AF33DFB.jpeg

I’m at the end of my bottle from barrel 3242. Also 5 years old. I’m a bit conflicted about it.  At first I was dissatisfied but now towards the end of the bottle it’s tasty.

I haven't had anything in nearly a week (just too busy or worn out).  This EW BIB is tasting so good. 

If you have an energetic four year old, you don't need expensive whiskey. 

• I like it 1

On 9/19/2019 at 8:05 PM, 0895 said:

A sample from a friend of one of the absolute best KC SB store picks bourbon's period, I’ve ever had. I think it was 14-15 years old. 

21408C66-A00D-4A67-BCAE-C970747D2753.jpeg

Hate to tell you there was actually Fireball in that bottle. ?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.