What bourbon did you pass on, Summer 2019?

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This place seems to be in its own world..I think theyll stay at that price for a little longer. The kind of place that still has KC9 year age stated available and the actual yellow label FR (not tan). Bought some FC6 there a couple months ago.  But yeah good price on the Bakers.

Oh wow, no joke I’m clearing the shelf if I ever see 6yr FC again.
  • I like it 1

Passed on Cornerstone for $149. 

I’ll likely never see it that cheap, so I wouldn’t have passed on it at that price!
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, Supercharger said:

Passed on Cornerstone for $149. 

23 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

I’ll likely never see it that cheap, so I wouldn’t have passed on it at that price!

Same.  Seeing as how I just picked up a bottle at $190 today for a friend I would have also bought that one.  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Same.  Seeing as how I just picked up a bottle at $190 today for a friend I would have also bought that one.  

It was difficult, for sure. I love some Turkey, but I justi couldn’t justify it right now. :(

1 hour ago, Supercharger said:

It was difficult, for sure. I love some Turkey, but I justi couldn’t justify it right now. :(

Totally understandable. I am definitely a victim of allowing my personal price threshold to creep up as prices have increased. 

While on my way over to the whiskey dept at Gomer'sKS, I passed up an offer of a taste of Skrewball. The idea of a blend of peanut butter and whiskey makes me shudder every time I think of it. Such a cruelty to impose on an unsuspecting public but the store manager said that for a temporary novelty it's selling very well and as long as people want it, he'll have it in stock.

• I like it 1

While on my way over to the whiskey dept at Gomer'sKS, I passed up an offer of a taste of Skrewball. The idea of a blend of peanut butter and whiskey makes me shudder every time I think of it. Such a cruelty to impose on an unsuspecting public but the store manager said that for a temporary novelty it's selling very well and as long as people want it, he'll have it in stock.

I’m mostly a traditionalist when it comes to whiskey, drinking most things neat, but occasionally I get in the mood for a simple cocktail, which means something sweet is usually added. So, if you ever drink cocktails or enjoy a liqueur of any kind, and you like peanut butter, why wouldn’t you at least give it a try if it was free? I admit that I thought it sounded weird too, and I usually haven’t liked most of the flavored whiskeys that I’ve tried (they’re all basically what I’d call a liqueur), but Skrewball actually surprised me...I think it’s pretty darn good! So, give it a try next time...it might actually surprise you, and become an alternative liqueur to add to your liquor cabinet.

• I like it 2

Better to sample a free shot instead of buying the whole bottle and regretting that if it really was stomach turning.

• I like it 2

I saw plenty of extreme gouging in New York yesterday, but catching a $599.99 2019 Birthday Bourbon at a store I typically visit and support was a big disappointment.

I saw plenty of extreme gouging in New York yesterday, but catching a $599.99 2019 Birthday Bourbon at a store I typically visit and support was a big disappointment.

Wow! That is definitely extreme gouging!

10 hours ago, Postal Grunt said:

I was skeptical as well, took a free sample, and was surprised. 

It tastes like liquid Reese’s.

Im probably not going to buy one, but I enjoyed the sample. 

Probably would be good with ice cream. 

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, lcpfratn said:

I’m mostly a traditionalist when it comes to whiskey, drinking most things neat, but occasionally I get in the mood for a simple cocktail, which means something sweet is usually added. So, if you ever drink cocktails or enjoy a liqueur of any kind, and you like peanut butter, why wouldn’t you at least give it a try if it was free? I admit that I thought it sounded weird too, and I usually haven’t liked most of the flavored whiskeys that I’ve tried (they’re all basically what I’d call a liqueur), but Skrewball actually surprised me...I think it’s pretty darn good! So, give it a try next time...it might actually surprise you, and become an alternative liqueur to add to your liquor cabinet.

Tried a free sample as well and was surprised. I wont be a buyer but I can see it as a viable occasional alternative to a bourbon cream.  Flavor is supposed to be derived from peanut oil and not an artificial flavoring.

• I like it 1

Easy pass on OFBIB 13yr at $249.99. What had me shaking my head was that there were three bottles on the shelf two weeks ago and now there’s one. 

Other notables were Black Maple Hill $119, Blantons $99, BM Reserve $80, WSR $60. Which is odd because they have reasonable prices on things like WFE 4yr Rye at $64, BT at 2/$50, and really cheap prices on craft beers. Sad cause it’s a nice place. 

6 hours ago, 0895 said:

I was skeptical as well, took a free sample, and was surprised. 

It tastes like liquid Reese’s.

Im probably not going to buy one, but I enjoyed the sample. 

Probably would be good with ice cream. 

Liquid Reese's? I just went from being completely uninterested to now considering it.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, flahute said:

Liquid Reese's? I just went from being completely uninterested to now considering it.

HA!   Yeah, I know what you mean, flahute!   Those damned things are so TASTY!!!   If this stuff tastes even a bit like 'em, I may have to scoop up a bottle myself.     ...Never expected to say that!

I regularly attend college parties (part of the job) where $15 a bottle is the ceiling for premium spirits. It's decided, I'll blow minds with my Skrewball next time.

• I like it 1

On 9/22/2019 at 7:25 PM, flahute said:

The Boom just peaked.

• I like it 6

30 minutes ago, The Black Tot said:

The Boom just peaked.

I was offered a taste of this stuff today at my favorite local retailer (while picking up the last of the available ER pick we did a little while back). 

I'll say this about it: it does taste a good deal like I imagine Reeses Peanut Butter Cups would taste if liquefied in ethanol (nod to 895 ;)).   

And, I'll go a bit further and say it wasn't awful; but it WAS AWFUL SWEET, and RICH.   

I think I may have gotten a small cavity from that 1/4 oz. taste.    I passed on buying a bottle though.

• I like it 3

9 hours ago, Richnimrod said:

I was offered a taste of this stuff today at my favorite local retailer (while picking up the last of the available ER pick we did a little while back). 

I'll say this about it: it does taste a good deal like I imagine Reeses Peanut Butter Cups would taste if liquefied in ethanol (nod to 895 ;)).   

And, I'll go a bit further and say it wasn't awful; but it WAS AWFUL SWEET, and RICH.   

I think I may have gotten a small cavity from that 1/4 oz. taste.    I passed on buying a bottle though.

Same experience here. Took advantage of a free taste at Total Wine and HOLEE CRAP was it sweet! Not something I would purchase or drink with any regularity, but it wasn't the worst thing I've tried, so I suppose it has that going for it!

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.