What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

14 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I wonder how many different batches of OESO Binny's got that year? Maybe we could each bring a sample to Bardstown next April and do a SBS? It'd be interesting to see if there's any noticeable difference between them.

Probably not.  Most single barrels all taste the same.

:P 

sorry. Kinda left it wide open there.

10 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

I see you learned from my FR Cult Card requirement debacle from last month :D

To top it off, I thought I had the same bottle as your's stashed away. Turns out, mine was barreled the same day, but bottled 7 months later. It's at 58.9%, from warehouse BN, barrel 31-2V. I wonder how many different batches of OESO Binny's got that year? Maybe we could each bring a sample to Bardstown next April and do a SBS? It'd be interesting to see if there's any noticeable difference between them.

Since I suffer from CRS (can't remember shit), your post was certainly was a timely reminder! Thanks for that Gary.?‍♂️ 

This bottle is 57.2%, warehouse BN, barrel 31-3J.  They are not brothers, but certainly related. Good idea on the SBS, I'll for sure not drink through it. I sure wish Binny's still shipped to me. 

19 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Probably not.  Most single barrels all taste the same.

:P 

sorry. Kinda left it wide open there.

My reason for bringing it up was that since both were barreled the same day I'd assume they were the same distillate. Any differences in taste would be purely from the barrel, amount of time in the barrel and location of the barrel in the warehouse (if from the same warehouse)

3 hours ago, Vosgar said:

My reason for bringing it up was that since both were barreled the same day I'd assume they were the same distillate. Any differences in taste would be purely from the barrel, amount of time in the barrel and location of the barrel in the warehouse (if from the same warehouse)

Yeah, one of my favorite things is to get tastes from other barrels of the same run, in the same rick and see how the barrel and aging variances affect the whiskey.

4R makes it easy, by putting the Rick info right on the label.

• I like it 1

Opened a RR picked by Binny’s yesterday. I need to meet whoever does the picks for Binny’s because our palates are perfectly in sync. This is just plain fantastic! You can see by the bottle level that all 6 of us there agreed.

IMG_5599.JPG.c4f585081cf200c954e2a1294471152c.JPG

• I like it 1

58 minutes ago, BMartin42 said:

Opened a RR picked by Binny’s yesterday. I need to meet whoever does the picks for Binny’s because our palates are perfectly in sync. This is just plain fantastic! You can see by the bottle level that all 6 of us there agreed.

IMG_5599.JPG.c4f585081cf200c954e2a1294471152c.JPG

Loving the new private barrel label and stat label on back vs hang tags only.

• I like it 1

I thought I’d keep with my BT mashbill #2 theme for tonight and I got this?! Any advice? What a bummer. 

33AF3410-127A-4E6C-AB07-3143047E9395.jpeg

• I like it 1

Fine mesh strainer into a large glass bowl. Then using whatever you can to fish out the cork.

I feel bad that you had such an experience 

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Adam777 said:

I thought I’d keep with my BT mashbill #2 theme for tonight and I got this?! Any advice? What a bummer. 

I’ve used a coffee filter in a mesh strainer. Be careful. Pour very slowly.

This is precisely why I keep old corks and a few empty bottles around. You have any empty bottles? 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

7 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

This is precisely why I keep old corks and a few empty bottles around. You have any empty bottles? 

Biba! Joe

Pro tip right here. I keep about a dozen empties of various sizes on hand as well. 

Just now, Bob_Loblaw said:

Pro tip right here. I keep about a dozen empties of various sizes on hand as well. 

dozen?

36 minutes ago, beasled said:

dozen?

I’m with Bob. ?

Ya’ just never know Dave. ;) I keep at least 6 or 8 empty ETL and HHSS bottles on hand for decanting, blending  and samples. An added bonus is they also fit very nicely on the middle shelf of my cabinet. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, beasled said:

dozen?

Well since you asked . . . I use an empty Tito’s vodka case to store empties I may re-use so 12 is the natural limit. Various uses.

1.75L bottles just take up too much space so I will usually decant into 2 bottles. 

2-3 times a year we make a batch of BBQ sauce and I store it in empty bottles. Lately it’s been 4RBS

Last year I did several batches of BA cocktails and my 3L barrel will usually yield 3 full 750ml bottles plus some extra. A good percentage is given away, but I kept one bottle of each batch to revisit in the future. 

For Blending I prefer the OF Sig 1L size. 1000ml makes for much more convenient math when calculating %s. 

Then a few 375ml or 200ml Grenades plus a mess of 100ml plastic ones for travel. 

Makes total sense, no?  And not in any way crazy. . . 

• I like it 5

On 10/13/2019 at 4:06 PM, 0895 said:

Yeah, one of my favorite things is to get tastes from other barrels of the same run, in the same rick and see how the barrel and aging variances affect the whiskey.

4R makes it easy, by putting the Rick info right on the label.

@0895, boy, you said it! It never ceases to amaze me at just how barrel and aging variances can affect a bourbon from the same lot, in the same rick, same row, side-by-side, etc. The differences aren't always so pronounced, but occasionally you can see and taste just how much of a difference that makes. 

A few weeks ago when I was finishing up blending season at Wyoming Whiskey, before the long winter barrel dormancy period starts, I had this experience with two barrels from the same lot that were side-by-side in the warehouse. 

Unfortunately I don't have a photo from those samples, but I do have a photo below for you to see the color variation between three barrels of rye whiskey that all come from the same lot (L-12-11, or December 12th, 2011). The light colored sample from barrel #2845 was housed in row 19D in Warehouse B, while the two very dark colored samples, barrels #2865 and #2867, both came from row 19F in Warehouse B. All three of these barrels were close to the wall facing west, and towards the southern end of the warehouse, so that part is generally a little warmer than the northern, eastern side of the warehouse. Evaporative losses are probably a little greater as well due to the westerly wind exposure and the greater warmth in the summer.

What really amazes me is that there is only about a 3 to 4 foot difference between rows D and F, and yet, the color and taste variation is striking. Also, in the summer months, you can feel the temperature difference between rows D and F. In that particular arid climate, even though summers get hot, it is usually pretty cool and comfortable from about rows C and below (maybe in the mid-60's to 70 degrees F), while D and above get really hot. Especially in row F. It can get unbearable up there, as in 110+ degrees, maybe even up to 120 or more on a really hot day. 

There can even be a significant differences between rows E and F, which is only a couple feet difference in height. At any rate, the lighter colored rye whiskey sample on the right, #2845, is better balanced, with tannins that are well-oxidized and help the whiskey glide down the throat. It also has lots of brown butter notes, candied orange peel, fresh rye bread with caraway seed, and vanilla pudding glazed with caramel type of notes. Barrel #2867, which was higher in row 19F, has more dark dried fruit, dark chocolate covered cherries, as well as some intense rye spice. Barrel #2865, which just had 1 barrel between it and #2865, was a "leaker" barrel (i.e., lower fill due to leakage), so its even darker in color, with lots of dates, raisins, and cinnamon Red Hots and chipotle pepper notes. Leakers can often be honey barrels, but in this case, since it was a row F barrel, it's so intense and peppery that it couldn't really be anything more than a great blending component. 

I didn't mean to highjack this thread, just to geek out a bit on how barrels distilled in the same lot can drastically be affected by the barrel, placement within the ricks, etc. 

At any rate, this evening I'm drinking some WW Stargazer and Statesman. These are two special release blends that we put together back in June. They're vastly difference whiskeys, and even though it all comes from the same mash bill, yeast strains, cooperage, etc., it just goes to show how you can create very different profiles based upon where the barrels sat in the rick house during their maturation years. 

Cheers,

Nancy

1026931456_IMG_2947(1).thumb.jpg.85b0ec841337163546b633a48f912c6f.jpg

IMG_2943 (1).jpg

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 12

I won't be opening these today or tomorrow, but they're the next ones up on deck.?

Biba! Joe

deck:jpeg.jpg

• I like it 6

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

I won't be opening these today or tomorrow, but they're the next ones up on deck.?

Biba! Joe

If anyone needed any confirmation that Joe is a BT guy........here it is!!!

• I like it 3

8 hours ago, flahute said:

If anyone needed any confirmation that Joe is a BT guy........here it is!!!

Are you suggesting a possible name change is in order for our resident Weller Whore?

• I like it 4

On 10/18/2019 at 11:59 PM, Adam777 said:

33AF3410-127A-4E6C-AB07-3143047E9395.jpeg

Had this happen with a 4R SiB. I strained it and then used a paper bag to get the broken cork out.  

• I like it 3

22 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Well since you asked . . . I use an empty Tito’s vodka case to store empties I may re-use so 12 is the natural limit. Various uses.

1.75L bottles just take up too much space so I will usually decant into 2 bottles. 

2-3 times a year we make a batch of BBQ sauce and I store it in empty bottles. Lately it’s been 4RBS

Last year I did several batches of BA cocktails and my 3L barrel will usually yield 3 full 750ml bottles plus some extra. A good percentage is given away, but I kept one bottle of each batch to revisit in the future. 

For Blending I prefer the OF Sig 1L size. 1000ml makes for much more convenient math when calculating %s. 

Then a few 375ml or 200ml Grenades plus a mess of 100ml plastic ones for travel. 

Makes total sense, no?  And not in any way crazy. . . 

That seems less crazy now, certainly. Thank you for the clarifying response! :D

On 10/19/2019 at 10:58 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

I’m with Bob. ?

Ya’ just never know Dave. ;) I keep at least 6 or 8 empty ETL and HHSS bottles on hand for decanting, blending  and samples. An added bonus is they also fit very nicely on the middle shelf of my cabinet. ?

Biba! Joe

It seems I am well underprepared! haha :D

Cheers!

• I like it 2

A 1792 BIB was right there in front, and I didn't feel like opening another OGD BIB now, so . . .

On October 19, 2019 at 10:11 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

But then again......... :rolleyes:

Biba! Joe

rv.jpeg

• I like it 10

There are a few sadder things than an empty space on a shelf that seems to beg for a new bottle but they're not as easily rectified as a good bottle of whiskey. I know that there are some people that haven't forgiven Heaven Hill for taking the age statement off of EC but I'm  a generous soul at times and a good store pick of EC can ameliorate any animosity that might linger. I found one such bottling across the river in MO today and it's a good one. While I won't pretend to be a super taster, I judge my bourbons by how long it takes to finish my standard three oz pour with a couple of small ice cubes. Barrel strength such as an ECBP usually last 60 minutes despite the high proof hazards. I think that its got to be that roller coaster ride as I go through the different layers of flavors. Today's store pick was so rewarding that I unintentionally took almost 105 minutes.  I guess I don't need to rationalize buying another bottle in the least. It's a tough job to keep the US economy moving and I can do my share.

• I like it 3

7 minutes ago, Postal Grunt said:

There are a few sadder things than an empty space on a shelf that seems to beg for a new bottle but they're not as easily rectified as a good bottle of whiskey. I know that there are some people that haven't forgiven Heaven Hill for taking the age statement off of EC but I'm  a generous soul at times and a good store pick of EC can ameliorate any animosity that might linger. I found one such bottling across the river in MO today and it's a good one. While I won't pretend to be a super taster, I judge my bourbons by how long it takes to finish my standard three oz pour with a couple of small ice cubes. Barrel strength such as an ECBP usually last 60 minutes despite the high proof hazards. I think that its got to be that roller coaster ride as I go through the different layers of flavors. Today's store pick was so rewarding that I unintentionally took almost 105 minutes.  I guess I don't need to rationalize buying another bottle in the least. It's a tough job to keep the US economy moving and I can do my share.

Sounds like you need to buy more than one more.

5 minutes ago, flahute said:

Sounds like you need to buy more than one more.

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

• I like it 2

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.