What bottle(s) did you open today? (Summer ‘19)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

42 minutes ago, Postal Grunt said:

Better to have it and not need it than to need it and not have it.

You speak a quintessential truth.

Nose reminded me of Beam products and was sweet with caramel/brown sugar/vanilla notes. The palate had a nice viscous mouthfeel with the same flavors carrying forward. The first sip finished hot, but as I acclimated it got smoother and smoother. 

I really wanted to pour another Beam product next, but damned if I got nothing. Half bottle of BH in freezer that won’t help. Plum out of KC picks. Booker’s has never been my jam, think it has to do with the youth, I find it abrasive. No Baker’s which I admit to having very limited experience with. Have a bottle on the way though. 

Overall, I loved LB3.  I paid $100 and would probably buy 2 more if given chance at that price. Phantom go get one at $120 if you like the Beam profile. I’d buy 2 at that price.  

8E35C0A7-145C-420A-9B54-4987FA5656A8.jpeg

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Half bottle of BH in freezer that won’t help.

Whoa, whoa, whoa...........talk to me about this.

12 hours ago, flahute said:

Whoa, whoa, whoa...........talk to me about this.

Haha not much to say.  Gift from my FIL (who means well and is very generous, but ignores when my wife tells him to just buy me WT101).

BH is fine for what it is and I cut my teeth on it years ago.  But overall not something I was enjoying in my regular rotation so so it got stuck in the garage freezer this summer to see if maybe I would drink it then.  Did not fare much better there as I consistently poured WT101 and 4RYL out of the freezer.  In fact, forgot it was even there until yesterday when I was checking to see if I have any of the LB3 components to try.

2 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Haha not much to say.  Gift from my FIL (who means well and is very generous, but ignores when my wife tells him to just buy me WT101).

BH is fine for what it is and I cut my teeth on it years ago.  But overall not something I was enjoying in my regular rotation so so it got stuck in the garage freezer this summer to see if maybe I would drink it then.  Did not fare much better there as I consistently poured WT101 and 4RYL out of the freezer.  In fact, forgot it was even there until yesterday when I was checking to see if I have any of the LB3 components to try.

After I started putting 4RYL in the freezer a couple summers ago I got the idea to do the same with OGDBIB and thought it worked out great so it only makes sense that BH would be good as well.

Not that I'm going to go buy a bottle because it's expensive for a freezer bottle but if i get one as a gift? Perfect.

I started putting WTRB in the freezer this summer so it's not at all a surprise that WT101 works as well. I will give that a try.

On 10/23/2019 at 8:15 PM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Nose reminded me of Beam products and was sweet with caramel/brown sugar/vanilla notes. The palate had a nice viscous mouthfeel with the same flavors carrying forward. The first sip finished hot, but as I acclimated it got smoother and smoother. 

I really wanted to pour another Beam product next, but damned if I got nothing. Half bottle of BH in freezer that won’t help. Plum out of KC picks. Booker’s has never been my jam, think it has to do with the youth, I find it abrasive. No Baker’s which I admit to having very limited experience with. Have a bottle on the way though. 

Overall, I loved LB3.  I paid $100 and would probably buy 2 more if given chance at that price. Phantom go get one at $120 if you like the Beam profile. I’d buy 2 at that price.  

8E35C0A7-145C-420A-9B54-4987FA5656A8.jpeg

Thanks dude, I may indeed do this, but will wait for next paycheck I think lol.  May have a hard time explaining that one to the wife :p. 

• 2 weeks later...

Been saving this one to celebrate our Anniversary this year. Hard to believe the wife has put up with me for 11years now. At least she has learned to stop asking how much I spent when she sees me walking in the bottles. Cheers everyone!IMG_2239.jpg

• I like it 16

2 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Been saving this one to celebrate our Anniversary this year. Hard to believe the wife has put up with me for 11years now. At least she has learned to stop asking how much I spent when she sees me walking in the bottles. Cheers everyone!IMG_2239.jpg

Congrats on the 11 years.

Ok finally crawling out of my hole after the Astros' world series implosion. Congrats to the Nationals.

Now my first pour on the road to recovery, it calls for something pretty damn stiff. This ought to do the trick.

20191102_215238.jpg

• I like it 7

Since it is time change weekend I thought I would open one of my new bottles instead of any of the ones that have been patiently waiting much longer. This is one of my favorite pours, so it will fit perfectly into the opened group.

46F5D57E-C851-4D7C-A8D5-D57EDB2796DB.jpeg

• I like it 4

Sometimes it pays to check out the clearance items at a liquor store. Found this today for 50% off.  Brought it home and immediately opened it. This ones for you Nancy. ;)

Biba! Joe

wwor.jpeg

• I like it 2

23 hours ago, jwperry said:

I'd like to thank@WhiskeyBlender for an awesome pour. Complex and easy at the same time. A great pour(s) to share on a college football Saturday.IMG_20191102_213604284.jpg

@jwperry, many thanks! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it on a nice autumn college football Saturday. Who was playing?

I'm a Vols fan, since that's my alma mater. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 2

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Sometimes it pays to check out the clearance items at a liquor store. Found this today for 50% off.  Brought it home and immediately opened it. This ones for you Nancy. ;)

Biba! Joe

wwor.jpeg

Binnys had about two cases of this in clearance rack. Down to a couple left

• I like it 1

[mention=15339]jwperry[/mention], many thanks! I'm glad you were able to enjoy it on a nice autumn college football Saturday. Who was playing?

I'm a Vols fan, since that's my alma mater. 

Cheers,
Nancy
Rough season for y'all...
Still in the SEC, this was for AU vs Ole Miss. My family is from The Plains, so this was to help cheer on The Tigers.
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, TehRegion219 said:

Binnys had about two cases of this in clearance rack. Down to a couple left

Any chance you might share which Binny's?  I'd enjoy trying this one out now after reading up on the backstory...

• I like it 1

17 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

wwor.jpeg

@fishnbowljoe, wow, that's a great deal at 50% off! The version you have is the 2017 one, which is 6 years old. We skipped doing a batch last year, and put this year's version of Outryder together back in June, so that one is 8 years old. The label is different, so be on the lookout. 

Would love to hear your tasting feedback!

Cheers,

Nancy

Edited by WhiskeyBlender
  • I like it 1

2 hours ago, Steven C said:

Any chance you might share which Binny's?  I'd enjoy trying this one out now after reading up on the backstory...

South loop

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Steven C said:

Yeah, after learning that I had a "rye-ish" whiskey to work with that only had 48% rye in it (plus 40% corn and 12% malted barley), it was a bear trying to decide how best to use that, since with only 48% rye in the mash bill it can't legally be called a rye whiskey. However, those barrels on their own, before being blended with the rye recipe bourbon, are absolutely phenomenal at cask strength. I've been tracking them since they were 3 years old and working with them since they were 5, and they've been great all along.

In fact, there were a number of the "almost rye" barrels that we used for the 2019 edition of Outryder that came from the southwestern wall in warehouse B, in row 19E (which is one row from the top) that really could have been used as cask strength single barrels. Unfortunately, there's not enough of that older stock to use that way, and they have to be used in the blend for Outryder. But WOW were they ever great on their own! 

At any rate, I find the difference between the 2017 and the 2019 versions of Outryder is that the '17 has a bolder, "punchier" rye spice note with fresh orange peel and vanilla creme. The '19 version, being 2 years older, obviously has more "mature" aromas to it, but the rye spice is a little tamer now. I find the aromas in this version to be "darker," so think of dark chocolate, brown baking spices in brown butter, chipotle, dark dried fruit, and candied orange peel. It's amazing how much the barrels changing in two years. 

Hope you can some of those 1/2 off bottles of the 2017 version of Outryder at Binny's, and hope you enjoy a little more insight into it! 

Cheers,

Nancy

6 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

At any rate, I find the difference between the 2017 and the 2019 versions of Outryder is that the '17 has a bolder, "punchier" rye spice note with fresh orange peel and vanilla creme. The '19 version, being 2 years older, obviously has more "mature" aromas to it, but the rye spice is a little tamer now. I find the aromas in this version to be "darker," so think of dark chocolate, brown baking spices in brown butter, chipotle, dark dried fruit, and candied orange peel. It's amazing how much the barrels changing in two years. 

Hope you can some of those 1/2 off bottles of the 2017 version of Outryder at Binny's, and hope you enjoy a little more insight into it! 

Cheers,

Nancy

You called it on your own blend Nancy.

The nose is wonderful. There is spice there, perhaps Allspice or Beau Monde, and the orange is there in spades. I admit I’m not a big fan of ryes, or rye forward bourbons/whiskies, but I like this. Most of the 100 proof/BIB’s I prefer drink mostly below their weight. They’re good, but don’t have much of a punch. Like you stated, this one has a pretty nice punch. However, the punch doesn’t mask or overpower the flavors. This one drinks at or above it’s weight. The flavors are basically the same as the nose. I didn’t get the vanilla, but there is an underlying sweetness that I can’t name. The finish is great. Long, warming, and telling you to go ahead and take another sip. Ya’ done good Nancy. ?  

The only problem I have is that I bought the last bottle they had. <_<  This store did have a few Private Stock  bottles @ 109 proof though, not selected by this store.  :huh: Your  thoughts on this???

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

36 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You called it on your own blend Nancy.

The nose is wonderful. There is spice there, perhaps Allspice or Beau Monde, and the orange is there in spades. I admit I’m not a big fan of ryes, or rye forward bourbons/whiskies, but I like this. Most of the 100 proof/BIB’s I prefer drink mostly below their weight. They’re good, but don’t have much of a punch. Like you stated, this one has a pretty nice punch. However, the punch doesn’t mask or overpower the flavors. This one drinks at or above it’s weight. The flavors are basically the same as the nose. I didn’t get the vanilla, but there is an underlying sweetness that I can’t name. The finish is great. Long, warming, and telling you to go ahead and take another sip. Ya’ done good Nancy. ?  

The only problem I have is that I bought the last bottle they had. <_<  This store did have a few Private Stock  bottles @ 109 proof though, not selected by this store.  :huh: Your  thoughts on this???

Biba! Joe

@fishnbowljoe, thank you Sir. I assume that's the 6 y.o. '17 WW Outryder you're sippin' on?

Wow, I can't get over the descriptor "Beau Monde." I know what you're talking about, and that sets a completely new standard for tasting notes! Mind if I steal that descriptor? I'd happily give credit where it's due. 

I can see how you might not necessarily get vanilla. In fact, I find a lot of Lipton iced tea/black tea with muddled spearmint and a little lemon citrus notes on the palate. I do get a little vanilla bean or vanilla bean ice cream, but that's just my palate.

At any rate, I think the fatty acid and congener content of WW is a little lower than some mainstream Bourbons or Rye whiskeys, so when you say that it is good at 100 proof, that makes a lot of sense to me. At this weight, it really does't overpower the flavors to me. Wow how I wish you could taste some of this at cask strength though. It's almost like Kool-Aid, it's so quaffable. 

I think the new '19 version is just making its way out on the market, so stay tuned. If you can find it, I'd love your thoughts of that against the '17 version. I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of the '17 version, because I think it can either pack a punch in a cocktail or give a punch of rye neat. The '19 version is (arguably) not as powerful in a cocktail with the muted rye, but is an overall better sipper. I'll probably have to readjust the '20 Outryder batch at 9 years old in order to pack a little more rye punch, if that's possible. 

Can't wait to get your feedback between the '17 and '19.

Could you please tell me what barrel of Private Stock you found? If you have the barrel #, then I can probably give you some feedback from my notes. 

Cheers,

Nancy

• I like it 2

On 7/22/2019 at 12:38 AM, BusterChestnut said:

Will be interested if this is one that needs some oxidation. Had a similar experience but will revisit in a few months 

Have to agree with you on your assessment. 

[mention=3321]fishnbowljoe[/mention], thank you Sir. I assume that's the 6 y.o. '17 WW Outryder you're sippin' on?

Wow, I can't get over the descriptor "Beau Monde." I know what you're talking about, and that sets a completely new standard for tasting notes! Mind if I steal that descriptor? I'd happily give credit where it's due. 

I can see how you might not necessarily get vanilla. In fact, I find a lot of Lipton iced tea/black tea with muddled spearmint and a little lemon citrus notes on the palate. I do get a little vanilla bean or vanilla bean ice cream, but that's just my palate.

At any rate, I think the fatty acid and congener content of WW is a little lower than some mainstream Bourbons or Rye whiskeys, so when you say that it is good at 100 proof, that makes a lot of sense to me. At this weight, it really does't overpower the flavors to me. Wow how I wish you could taste some of this at cask strength though. It's almost like Kool-Aid, it's so quaffable. 

I think the new '19 version is just making its way out on the market, so stay tuned. If you can find it, I'd love your thoughts of that against the '17 version. I have to admit that I'm a huge fan of the '17 version, because I think it can either pack a punch in a cocktail or give a punch of rye neat. The '19 version is (arguably) not as powerful in a cocktail with the muted rye, but is an overall better sipper. I'll probably have to readjust the '20 Outryder batch at 9 years old in order to pack a little more rye punch, if that's possible. 

Can't wait to get your feedback between the '17 and '19.

Could you please tell me what barrel of Private Stock you found? If you have the barrel #, then I can probably give you some feedback from my notes. 

Cheers,
Nancy

Wait this Wyoming whiskey Outdryer is near rye at 48% and 6 years or 8 years old and 100 proof. Hmm I’m definitely interested, saw one of these recently I also think on the discount rack, will need to check it out.

I hadn't noticed the single barrel bourbon statement on the bottles of ETL  that I had opened before today but that didn't deter me opening up a bottle this afternoon. Easy going down, very smooth and appropriate for Happy Hour at Casa de PG. I got my BT email today, talking about their efforts at building more rack houses. I hope those buildings are good for making ETL easier to find at the LS.

Edited by Postal Grunt
  • I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.