What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Fall 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Some bargains.
Screenshot_20191114-181720_Facebook.thumb.jpg.d124bbf051b8b00d621f8013c30883df.jpg

Jeez.
Is that the usual place (did they raise prices?)
or some new rapehole?

Can we start calling these stores that gouge rapeholes?

The $150 other iteam, how does this work? You’re supposed to buy $150 worth of other stuff to be allowed the opportunity to buy $200 W12?

55 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

The $150 other iteam, how does this work? You’re supposed to buy $150 worth of other stuff to be allowed the opportunity to buy $200 W12?

Exactly!

In STL the consumers are so smart, the stores have to trick us into getting F’d.

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, 0895 said:

Exactly!

In STL the consumers are so smart, the stores have to trick us into getting F’d.

Go team!!!!!!!! 

5 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

Can we start calling these stores that gouge rapeholes?

I think, if anyone willingly pays those prices, it would be considered consensual.  At some point, the consumer needs to stand up and refuse to pay that kind of money.

• I like it 11

And here I was getting ready to go to Mizzou for the 2021 SEC Swimming Championships and fly in to St. Louis early to hit your local bourbon "honeyholes".  But maybe I'll just bring in my own supply for our "debriefing" sessions instead.  Don't need nuthin' from no "rapeholes"!      ?

• I like it 5

3 hours ago, macdad said:

I think, if anyone willingly pays those prices, it would be considered consensual.  At some point, the consumer needs to stand up and refuse to pay that kind of money.

Here's the thing, there's not many bourbons worth over $100 a bottle period.  Yes, there are some but certainly not the ones being shown IMO.  In addition, there are "plenty" of good bourbons out there readily available so you need to remove yourself from the hype in a way and just explore what you do have available.  For me, my 2 current favs are Rare Breed and Pikesville Rye, always in stock and I'll never overpay.  Heck even EWBiB at $13 was just super good.  Will I keep hunting for my next Stagg Jr....Yes!, of course...but in the meantime I'll just enjoy what I can get.

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, GeeTen said:

and fly in to St. Louis early to hit your local bourbon "honeyholes".

you must be referring to my house... ?

• I like it 4

On 11/13/2019 at 8:44 AM, cchog said:

Spotted a bottle of Booker’s Country Ham in my local Total Wine, but passed. 

Funny about this.  I just did a reserve-the upcoming-delivery for a couple things at a slight discount from MSRP (latest EC BP and latest MHC which I pick up next WED) with a local purveyor (with whom I deal, BUT always keep my hand on my wallet AND always practice saying "No, thanks" when doing so!!) and was offered, as a kicker, "I can get you a Booker's Ham at $145 because my cost is $125 . . ."  I passed on the Ham which is available elsewhere locally at $85-90.  Next WED I pick up a Ham at a different purveyor.

1 hour ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Funny about this.  I just did a reserve-the upcoming-delivery for a couple things at a slight discount from MSRP (latest EC BP and latest MHC which I pick up next WED) with a local purveyor (with whom I deal, BUT always keep my hand on my wallet AND always practice saying "No, thanks" when doing so!!) and was offered, as a kicker, "I can get you a Booker's Ham at $145 because my cost is $125 . . ."  I passed on the Ham which is available elsewhere locally at $85-90.  Next WED I pick up a Ham at a different purveyor.

Always a good practice to keep at least one hand on your wallet.

After passing on it, I was reading reviews of it. Kicking myself that I passed it up, but I'll keep an eye out.

16 minutes ago, cchog said:

Always a good practice to keep at least one hand on your wallet.

After passing on it, I was reading reviews of it. Kicking myself that I passed it up, but I'll keep an eye out.

Gotta say, I have "plenty" of Booker's bunkered at about $50-55 on average from years ago when the rumors of a price hike started.  Just in case I live to be 90 or more, though, I still buy it although I pass at above $70 unless I am REALLY desperate.  Of course, that is in my market - your retail market may have a different pricing structure.

As it happens, the "Ham" release, like Maw Maw's (2015-05), Center Cut (2015-03), Bluegill Creek (2016-04), and a couple of 2018s (Kathleen's and Backyard BBQ) for unexplained reasons caused me to get back in the car and go get another one.  I cannot explain this obsession because the profile for Booker's really doesn't vary all that much.  As The Black Tot pointed out, though, on an other thread, vatting some Booker's with JBB Extra Aged makes a wonderful melange if one picks up a Booker's that just doesn't quite measure up.

ASIDE - DAMN but this bourbon obsession is OH SO satisfying, day-filling, and tummy-warming, especially when it is 35-45F outside..

• I like it 1

4 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Gotta say, I have "plenty" of Booker's bunkered at about $50-55 on average from years ago when the rumors of a price hike started.  Just in case I live to be 90 or more, though, I still buy it although I pass at above $70 unless I am REALLY desperate.  Of course, that is in my market - your retail market may have a different pricing structure.

As it happens, the "Ham" release, like Maw Maw's (2015-05), Center Cut (2015-03), Bluegill Creek (2016-04), and a couple of 2018s (Kathleen's and Backyard BBQ) for unexplained reasons caused me to get back in the car and go get another one.  I cannot explain this obsession because the profile for Booker's really doesn't vary all that much.  As The Black Tot pointed out, though, on an other thread, vatting some Booker's with JBB Extra Aged makes a wonderful melange if one picks up a Booker's that just doesn't quite measure up.

ASIDE - DAMN but this bourbon obsession is OH SO satisfying, day-filling, and tummy-warming, especially when it is 35-45F outside..

2 hours ago, Ace1943 said:

For my tastes, the Booker's 2019-04 (Beaten Biscuits) is even better than the 2019-03 (Country Ham).

Thanks for the info, much appreciated!

12 hours ago, GoCubs85 said:

Here's the thing, there's not many bourbons worth over $100 a bottle period.  Yes, there are some but certainly not the ones being shown IMO.  In addition, there are "plenty" of good bourbons out there readily available so you need to remove yourself from the hype in a way and just explore what you do have available.  For me, my 2 current favs are Rare Breed and Pikesville Rye, always in stock and I'll never overpay.  Heck even EWBiB at $13 was just super good.  Will I keep hunting for my next Stagg Jr....Yes!, of course...but in the meantime I'll just enjoy what I can get.

Amen on the EWBiB.  This is a regular for me and $30 for the 1.75L out my way.  To me it's a steal.

41 minutes ago, PhantomLamb said:

CEHT SiB @ $70.  Mistake?

Could go either way.

Price is pretty normal, I've just never had a CEHT SiB that was better than the small batch.  I keep hearing stories from others about wonderful bottles, but I'm probably done buying them.

• I like it 1

Unfortunately this seems to be the norm in most of the stores around here these days. I was lucky enough to find OWA for $45 and OWSR for $34. To bad there were 1 bottle limits because I would be stocking up. 

A9A5E004-3E20-4A8B-89D5-3DBAA9944B52.jpeg

4 hours ago, Moose3218 said:

Unfortunately this seems to be the norm in most of the stores around here these days. I was lucky enough to find OWA for $45 and OWSR for $34. To bad there were 1 bottle limits because I would be stocking up. 

A9A5E004-3E20-4A8B-89D5-3DBAA9944B52.jpeg

OMG that’s insane. Anyone who forks over $150 to get a bottle of OWA is nuts!  That was the only Weller I’ve purchased (around $25 2-3 years ago) and it was just okay.  But paying $150?? 

1 hour ago, DCFan said:

OMG that’s insane. Anyone who forks over $150 to get a bottle of OWA is nuts!  That was the only Weller I’ve purchased (around $25 2-3 years ago) and it was just okay.  But paying $150?? 

Maybe that’s why they have the skrewball next to it

• I like it 4

10 hours ago, 0895 said:

Could go either way.

Price is pretty normal, I've just never had a CEHT SiB that was better than the small batch.  I keep hearing stories from others about wonderful bottles, but I'm probably done buying them.

That's what I heard as well.  Not sure what to do.

9 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

That's what I heard as well.  Not sure what to do.

Probably best to just have a Yuengling Hershey’s chocolate porter until you get it sorted out...

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, 0895 said:

Probably best to just have a Yuengling Hershey’s chocolate porter until you get it sorted out...

Amen, my decision was to indeed stick with my pass.  Bought two great bottles of rum instead :). 

• I like it 1

On 11/17/2019 at 1:19 PM, 0895 said:

Could go either way.

I’m firmly in the other boat. I think EHTaylor SiB is fantastic and well worth the price of admission. Though $70 is a bit high.  I’ve never had a bad one and I am hoping they appear in my area soon as it’s been quite some time since I’ve had a bottle. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.