What Dram Are You Enjoying Fall 2019

Auracom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

9 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I continue to pass up Asylas I come across on store shelves.  I've had Oak Cross, which is just fine, but unremarkable.  Most reviews of Asyla seem to be along the same lines.  You think Asyla is worth a pick-up around $50?

While last night it was better, if that was my only taste - I don't know if I'd pay $50 for it.  It is on the light side for sure, one of those where there isn't anything offputting (for me at least).  Unremarkable is a good way of putting it.  I got an older bottle for $40 (early 2000s).  They had multiples (although not local to me) so I rolled the dice.  Right now, I'm not looking to go and stock up.  Maybe see if a local bar has it (or any other local whisky friends).  I tried Oak Cross and wasn't impressed.  I do like CB, but most of my bottles are marrying casks, LEs, or dusty bottles I bought at a decent price.

While last night it was better, if that was my only taste - I don't know if I'd pay $50 for it.  It is on the light side for sure, one of those where there isn't anything offputting (for me at least).  Unremarkable is a good way of putting it.  I got an older bottle for $40 (early 2000s).  They had multiples (although not local to me) so I rolled the dice.  Right now, I'm not looking to go and stock up.  Maybe see if a local bar has it (or any other local whisky friends).  I tried Oak Cross and wasn't impressed.  I do like CB, but most of my bottles are marrying casks, LEs, or dusty bottles I bought at a decent price.

Thinking of CB there’s a place by me with Peat Monster, not the latest bottling for $55. I’m really digging the peat right now but wanted to know what you guys think?

Thinking of CB there’s a place by me with Peat Monster, not the latest bottling for $55. I’m really digging the peat right now but wanted to know what you guys think?

I think Peat Monster is a pretty good peated blend, so if you haven’t tried it, give it a go.
  • I like it 2

I’m a big fan. Peat but with elegance and balance.
  • I like it 2

I think Peat Monster is a pretty good peated blend, so if you haven’t tried it, give it a go.

I’m a big fan. Peat but with elegance and balance.

Thanks guys I’ll pick it up and report back.

Thanks guys I’ll pick it up and report back.

If you’re just going on advice from Jeff and I then good luck with that [emoji16]
  • I like it 3

If you’re just going on advice from Jeff and I then good luck with that [emoji16]

Two quick yes from two of the more respected SBers is all the motivation I needed. It’s a $55 bottle so not a big gamble.
  • I like it 2

7 minutes ago, HoustonNit said:

Two quick yes from two of the more respected SBers is all the motivation I needed. It’s a $55 bottle so not a big gamble.

Note that there's also a 1.75L Peat Monster Cask Strength Magnum banging around out there at 57.3% ABV, plus it's a damn cool bottle.  I can no longer post images, so you'll just have to visualize a giant bottle of peated whisky.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Note that there's also a 1.75L Peat Monster Cask Strength Magnum banging around out there at 57.3% ABV, plus it's a damn cool bottle.  I can no longer post images, so you'll just have to visualize a giant bottle of peated whisky.

My most absurdly large bottle, with a pour in my little bittiest small glass.  ?

4B23143B-5B1C-4D45-A6F6-B8F0FC92B0C0.jpeg

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 4

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

My most absurdly large bottle, with a pour in my little bittiest small glass.  ?

4B23143B-5B1C-4D45-A6F6-B8F0FC92B0C0.jpeg

Great shot, bless you sir. 

@smokinjoe was trendsetting tonight - poured some CB Peat Monster (not the magnum, cask strength stuff unfortunately).  But followed that up with some Cadenhead Islay living barrel (55% ABV), and wrapping up tonight with some Ardbeg Corryvreckan.  Big peat is a great way to wrap up the week!

• I like it 2

Poured one of my favorite Irish whiskeys last evening.  Very unique and flavorful whiskey.

2F58DEB5-699D-42B8-90D0-E24912D90ABD.jpeg

Well following your advice worked out this time. Very enjoyable. I’ll need to keep an eye out for this CS 1.75.

IMG_8782.jpg
  • I like it 3

• 2 weeks later...

Wish there was more cask strength Scotch offerings.  I’d probably drink more...   Had a hankering tonight. 

AFE10D1C-DB6A-4F7F-B59F-3B7E0B7C1F5F.jpeg

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Obeezy1Kaneezy said:

Wish there was more cask strength Scotch offerings.

We must be shopping at different liquor stores.

• I like it 4

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

We must be shopping at different liquor stores.

I was gonna say. We're swimmin' in 'em over in the UK.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.