What Dram Are You Enjoying Fall 2019

Auracom
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, flahute said:

A few days late but I had a couple nice pours on Christmas Day due to being with some folks who prefer Scotch over bourbon.

Most of you know that my experiences with Scotch are still new and limited. I brought over a Glenlivet 21 which was a gift from a client a few years back, along with a Macallan Edition No. 5, which was my first expensive Scotch bottle purchase. This was my first Scotch single malt side by side that included the Glenlivet 21 and I was taken by how the Glenlivet seemed to be on a different level. There's no age statement on the Macallan, but it appears the extra age on the Glenlivet really seems to shine. 

I can see the rabbit hole getting bigger.....

59 minutes ago, lcpfratn said:

Strong is the force of the scotch side! emoji6.png

Even stronger is the force of the rabbit hole...

• I like it 2

I was complaining about this a few weeks back, but I'm happy to report that it turned out to be one of those bottles that magically transform from shit to hit with some air exposure. First couple pours were bland, almost neutral tasting with just a hint of sweetness. Now it's bursting with marshmallows. This could be the only Compass Box I like.

IMG_20191229_225047.jpg

• I like it 1

A few days late but I had a couple nice pours on Christmas Day due to being with some folks who prefer Scotch over bourbon.
Most of you know that my experiences with Scotch are still new and limited. I brought over a Glenlivet 21 which was a gift from a client a few years back, along with a Macallan Edition No. 5, which was my first expensive Scotch bottle purchase. This was my first Scotch single malt side by side that included the Glenlivet 21 and I was taken by how the Glenlivet seemed to be on a different level. There's no age statement on the Macallan, but it appears the extra age on the Glenlivet really seems to shine. 
I can see the rabbit hole getting bigger.....

IMG_8603.jpg
  • I like it 2

Enjoying some samples of Tamdhu - their 120th anniversary single cask and Dalbeallie Dram.  Both are pretty delicious, and my first Tamdhu pours.  New Year's Resolution . . . buy some Tamdhu ;)  

• I like it 1

Signatory Blair Athol in the glass to begin the evening. It's 11 yrs old and 46% abv, but is un-chillfiltered and very flavorful. This is my first experience with whisky from Blair Athol but won't be the last if this is any indication of what they have to offer.

Edited by Vosgar
  • I like it 1

36 minutes ago, Vosgar said:

Signatory Blair Athol in the glass to begin the evening. It's 11 yrs old and 46% abv, but is un-chillfiltered and very flavorful. This is my first experience with whisky from Blair Athol but won't be the last if this is any indication of what they have to offer.

One of my favorite distilleries. There’s a Signatory Cask Strength Collection 25yo (59% ABV) banging around out there that’ll add two years to your life. 

Rye spice & all things nice!

Thanks 2019! Welcome 2020!

Cheers from the North!

35B816B1-C83F-47F4-B5F3-C9291BA794A5.jpeg

• I like it 1

A couple of real fine peated malts, reconfirming that Ballechin is the top of the heap for me.

y4mNzLMErVfqGHdnzBIBN3rrYj7dtj0kXldcwUcl

y4mDYF81gkLFIMcIz1ZoRAhV9bfucLJc93faAMRA

Fortunately had a cork that fit the Longrow as the one in it came with was no longer of any use. 

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, BigPapa said:

Anyone try this years Kilkeran 8 year cask strength in sherry cask?

Just wondering if it a buy or not

Have heard good things from friends who have, I'd say go for it.

• I like it 1

Pairing a CB GKS Marrying Cask with some homemade chili - and loving that combo!  Wasn't sure it would hold up to the spice of the chili (not that it is super-spicy), but the spice tamps down some of the savory elements a tad and lets the sweeter side of the dram shine through.  

Longrow 21, the new bottling. This has had a month or so to open up, the peat is still present but a bit more subdued and disguised as burnt fruit (grilled pineapple maybe?). 

I've a backup bottle of this and I'm tempted to open it now just to let it sit for a long time. 

I can't post an image due to my exceeded attachment quota, but a wee Balvenie 25 Single Barrel to celebrate the completion of my single-handed bottle move. The new space is super tight and not for the claustrophobic, but the benefit is that everything (including the bar) is in a single room versus spread out over several. It'll take several more weeks to get everything in order-- but it's all secure-- with only one bottle broken during the move.

• I like it 4

On 1/6/2020 at 6:07 PM, Marekv8 said:

I can't post an image due to my exceeded attachment quota, but a wee Balvenie 25 Single Barrel to celebrate the completion of my single-handed bottle move. The new space is super tight and not for the claustrophobic, but the benefit is that everything (including the bar) is in a single room versus spread out over several. It'll take several more weeks to get everything in order-- but it's all secure-- with only one bottle broken during the move.

(bowing my head in a moment of silence for the bottle that didn't make it, as I'm sure it was a beaut) :(  

Enjoying a dusty CB Asyla tonight, and liking it more than the first pour from the bottle - which is encouraging!  I mean - if it gets better with each pour . . . ;) 

• I like it 1

Staying on brand with a dusty CB Eleuthera.  A damn nice, balanced dram - bit of smoke and peat with vanilla and honey and trailing spices.  And pairs nicely with some nog on the side!  (or maybe the nog is making everything better . . . or vice versa?)

On 12/29/2019 at 11:08 PM, Kane said:

I was complaining about this a few weeks back, but I'm happy to report that it turned out to be one of those bottles that magically transform from shit to hit with some air exposure. First couple pours were bland, almost neutral tasting with just a hint of sweetness. Now it's bursting with marshmallows. This could be the only Compass Box I like.

IMG_20191229_225047.jpg

A couple years ago at Whisky Fest Wash DC, John Glaser's Compass Box booth was across the aisle from High West.  After I sampled some HW Yippee-Kai-Yay (or however it is spelled), Mr. Glaser asked if I'd like to sample some CBs.  I told him, honestly, that I have NEVER found a scotch I liked.  He suggested Hedonism which, he said, he'd blended to appeal to bourbon drinkers.  I was skeptical.  I tasted.  I now have several H's on hand and have branched out to Spice Tree in its several iterations.  MORAL OF THE STORY - Watch the wallet with CBs as they will sneak into your heart.

• I like it 3

3 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

A couple years ago at Whisky Fest Wash DC, John Glaser's Compass Box booth was across the aisle from High West.  After I sampled some HW Yippee-Kai-Yay (or however it is spelled), Mr. Glaser asked if I'd like to sample some CBs.  I told him, honestly, that I have NEVER found a scotch I liked.  He suggested Hedonism which, he said, he'd blended to appeal to bourbon drinkers.  I was skeptical.  I tasted.  I now have several H's on hand and have branched out to Spice Tree in its several iterations.  MORAL OF THE STORY - Watch the wallet with CBs as they will sneak into your heart.

Oh now this is a really great tip! I've never had Hedonism but I do have a bottle of Spice Tree that I really like. Looks like I need to snag some Hedonism.

• I like it 1

Fwiw, I quite dislike Spice Tree. It's as if CB cherry picked everything I don't care for in my Scotch and put them in a bottle. Hence I went into Hedonism with low expectations but was pleasantly surprised later. The lesson learned is there is only one way to find out if you're going to like your next bottle.

• I like it 1

21 minutes ago, Kane said:

The lesson learned is there is only one way to find out if you're going to like your next bottle.

Preach.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, GaryT said:

Enjoying a dusty CB Asyla tonight, and liking it more than the first pour from the bottle - which is encouraging!  I mean - if it gets better with each pour . . . ;) 

I continue to pass up Asylas I come across on store shelves.  I've had Oak Cross, which is just fine, but unremarkable.  Most reviews of Asyla seem to be along the same lines.  You think Asyla is worth a pick-up around $50?

5 hours ago, jeffrey r said:

I continue to pass up Asylas I come across on store shelves.  I've had Oak Cross, which is just fine, but unremarkable.  Most reviews of Asyla seem to be along the same lines.  You think Asyla is worth a pick-up around $50?

Asyla is not currently being made as they don't feel they have what they need to blend the taste they want. So for that reason alone it might be worth trying one.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.