Jump to content
CardsandBourbon

What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

Recommended Posts

fishnbowljoe
1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Awesome! Was pullin for you to get a full proof at least!

Thanks FH. Once again, I have to thank my son. He’s been surprising me a lot lately. 👍

 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses

Joe.. looking forward to your opinion on the full proof. I havent had one that blew me away. I think OWA is better and this was really an unnecessary addition. 
It will be enlightening to hear from someone with a much more refined palate for Weller.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JSpartan
10 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Joe.. looking forward to your opinion on the full proof. I havent had one that blew me away. I think OWA is better and this was really an unnecessary addition. 
It will be enlightening to hear from someone with a much more refined palate for Weller.

I cracked open my Binny’s Weller FP pick last week and I was a big fan. I think I had low expectations from mixed reviews of standard bottles and didn’t want to build it up too much, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth the $59.99 spent on the bottle.

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JoeTerp

Went to a local whiskey event this week.  The goal was the ORVW and I got in line with about 20 to spare.  By the time we got into the store they had nothing left that was interesting so I passed and waited on the lotto for 71 bottles of GTS.  Unfortunately I walked away empty handed but @Jazz June was fortunate enough to get one.  Got back in line for a 2pm rush but after finding out there were only 12 Four Roses LESmB me and a friend gave up slots 21 & 22 to grab lunch and hunt for bottles at a few liquor stores in a neighboring county.  That trip ended up being very fruitful as I got the 10 yr OESV, Russell's pick, Brandy finished Double Rye!, Murray Hill Club, Wilderness Trail (sub 98 proof barrel proofer), and the Epoch Rye which I've heard good reviews and a customer in the store was raving about how good it was.  Went back to the whiskey event for some 5 pm raffles and got lucky with the Lot B.  Great day for finding some whiskey and having some fun.

IMG_2479.jpg

  • I like it 10

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
mross
Grabbed this and made it in. looks to be sold out already.
 
russell-s-reserve-single-barrel-17_900x.jpg.4ca4f4948cda3b34f5a973846af7425c.jpg
Ok, realized when it arrived it was much more interesting. That appears to be a stock photo, here is what I bought 20200119_135236.jpg20200119_135223.jpg
  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Moose3218

810D6E60-FDCC-41AF-B4AF-8C0CF4A43891.jpeg.39990c9ee81ca5f35ca5f4ebd4004345.jpeg
I may have went a touch overboard today

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
flahute
17 minutes ago, Moose3218 said:

810D6E60-FDCC-41AF-B4AF-8C0CF4A43891.jpeg.39990c9ee81ca5f35ca5f4ebd4004345.jpeg
I may have went a touch overboard today

Nah. Looks normal.

  • I like it 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
16 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Joe.. looking forward to your opinion on the full proof. I havent had one that blew me away. I think OWA is better and this was really an unnecessary addition. 
It will be enlightening to hear from someone with a much more refined palate for Weller.

 

16 hours ago, JSpartan said:

I cracked open my Binny’s Weller FP pick last week and I was a big fan. I think I had low expectations from mixed reviews of standard bottles and didn’t want to build it up too much, but I really enjoyed it. Definitely worth the $59.99 spent on the bottle.


I’m a fan too. Weller whore that I am, I honestly and truly tried to keep an open mind when I cracked mine open after lunch today. I admit I was a bit taken aback. The first sip I took instantly reminded me of one of my favorites, the 117.9 proof 2007 WLW. It surprised me so much that I had to do a sbs. IMHO, there is only a slight difference between the two. The WLW seems to have a tad more of an old time butterscotch/caramel flavor and chewiness to it. The FP drinks maybe just a bit hotter.  It’s still very, very good. It isn't an exact mirror of the WLW, but all the characteristics are there, and the differences are quite minuscule. Mind you, this is just my opinion. YMMV. 

 

Biba! Joe

  • I like it 9

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Vosgar
1 hour ago, Moose3218 said:

810D6E60-FDCC-41AF-B4AF-8C0CF4A43891.jpeg.39990c9ee81ca5f35ca5f4ebd4004345.jpeg
I may have went a touch overboard today

A very nice haul and by no means did you go overboard! 👍

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Whitewhale
2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

 


I’m a fan too. Weller whore that I am, I honestly and truly tried to keep an open mind when I cracked mine open after lunch today. I admit I was a bit taken aback. The first sip I took instantly reminded me of one of my favorites, the 117.9 proof 2007 WLW. It surprised me so much that I had to do a sbs. IMHO, there is only a slight difference between the two. The WLW seems to have a tad more of an old time butterscotch/caramel flavor and chewiness to it. The FP drinks maybe just a bit hotter.  It’s still very, very good. It isn't an exact mirror of the WLW, but all the characteristics are there, and the differences are quite minuscule. Mind you, this is just my opinion. YMMV. 

 

Biba! Joe

Thanks for the review everyone.  Looking forward to opening my bottle.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Three quarks

Some more OGD 114. The current bottle I have is excellent. Very oily. If I could find Weller in WV, that's all I would drink, but since it's rarely available, I must improvise.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler

Stumbled across a 2018 JD Heritage barrel just sitting on the shelf. Regular price too. I haven't been crazy about my 2019 version so far, but by all accounts the 2018 is supposedly noticeable better so I decided to pick it up. Looking forward to comparing them in the near future.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
geclbxf
8 hours ago, Kepler said:

Stumbled across a 2018 JD Heritage barrel just sitting on the shelf. Regular price too. I haven't been crazy about my 2019 version so far, but by all accounts the 2018 is supposedly noticeable better so I decided to pick it up. Looking forward to comparing them in the near future.

I like both the 2018 and 2019 - with the slight edge to 2018.   I think the extra year in the barrel did not help the 2019 out - more oak for certain.   Both just scream out butterscotch to me.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Old Dusty

Vacation exuberance caused me to buy two Blanton’s SFTB. Can’t get it at home and I have myself convinced it’s really the 6th BTAC

  • I like it 8

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
15 hours ago, geclbxf said:

I like both the 2018 and 2019 - with the slight edge to 2018.   I think the extra year in the barrel did not help the 2019 out - more oak for certain.   Both just scream out butterscotch to me.

Yes it's the oakiness that keeps me from loving the 2019.  I usually like oakiness but I got some dry and tannic notes. Thanks for your input and I'm glad to hear that about the 2018. Looking forward to trying it soon.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
FasterHorses
On 1/19/2020 at 2:47 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

 


I’m a fan too. Weller whore that I am, I honestly and truly tried to keep an open mind when I cracked mine open after lunch today. I admit I was a bit taken aback. The first sip I took instantly reminded me of one of my favorites, the 117.9 proof 2007 WLW. It surprised me so much that I had to do a sbs. IMHO, there is only a slight difference between the two. The WLW seems to have a tad more of an old time butterscotch/caramel flavor and chewiness to it. The FP drinks maybe just a bit hotter.  It’s still very, very good. It isn't an exact mirror of the WLW, but all the characteristics are there, and the differences are quite minuscule. Mind you, this is just my opinion. YMMV. 

 

Biba! Joe

Well thats strong praise.. i guess i need  to do further research. Glad you liked it. Ive not been fortunate to try the 07 but theres a local place that has the 2019 for $25 a pour.  I’ll see if i gain a better appreciation for the blue label.

Edited by FasterHorses

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
fishnbowljoe
8 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

Well thats strong praise.. i guess i need  to do further research. Glad you liked it. Ive not been fortunate to try the 07 but theres a local place that has the 2019 for $25 a pour.  I’ll see if i gain a better appreciation for the blue label.

FWIW, this was a private pick, so it might be a little better.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Bbstout
16 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yes it's the oakiness that keeps me from loving the 2019.  I usually like oakiness but I got some dry and tannic notes. Thanks for your input and I'm glad to hear that about the 2018. Looking forward to trying it soon.

Funny you say this. My first pour of 19 was average to good. I picked up the tannin you mention. Then I had it another day and enjoyed it alot. 

 

I always hear that a bottle being open for awhile can change the taste/flavor. While oxidation can change a bottle over extended periods, I think the difference I perceive is more related to what I ate, my mood, health....etc. I bet the second time my nose was plugged up more then the first time and I didn't notice the tannins as much.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
JGriff

A bit of good fortune on a Thursday.   

D9621A96-39C2-41D7-9092-1B200D4B63F0.jpeg

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Harry in WashDC
On 1/11/2020 at 1:30 PM, Supercharger said:

Had one of these in November. They still have some on the shelf. Fantastic MGP. May end up going back for more...but feels a bit overboard. 

F0A56555-2C08-407C-BD30-355FB876EC0D.jpeg

Late to this particular thread.  To catch up - Lemme say this about this - your haul now equals my bunker.  I am impressed by your perspicacity as it matches mine.B)

  • I like it 2

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Kepler
2 hours ago, JGriff said:

A bit of good fortune on a Thursday.   

D9621A96-39C2-41D7-9092-1B200D4B63F0.jpeg

That looks like the 13 yr Tennessee distillate bottles if I'm not wrong. Has anyone done a direct comparison to the George Dickel Bottled in Bond 13 year yet?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
clearmoon247
11 hours ago, Kepler said:

Has anyone done a direct comparison to the George Dickel Bottled in Bond 13 year yet?

I have both at home currently and tonight I can do that for you.

  • I like it 3

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
0895

A70DD72F-2378-403B-AAA2-2C8B82FAA0B6.jpeg

  • I like it 4

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Special Reserve

This may be rather mundane, but yesterday a bought a Blantons and a Weller SR at the state of Michigan minimum price.  I haven't seen either at the minimum price in several years.

 

The most recent prices were >100%  over state minimum price for WSR and >50% for Blantons.

 

I don't mind paying up a bit but more than double the price, I'm out.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
shawnt
52 minutes ago, Special Reserve said:

This may be rather mundane, but yesterday a bought a Blantons and a Weller SR at the state of Michigan minimum price.  I haven't seen either at the minimum price in several years.

 

The most recent prices were >100%  over state minimum price for WSR and >50% for Blantons.

 

I don't mind paying up a bit but more than double the price, I'm out.

The supply on both of these seems to be picking up lately, here.  Miraculously, this might actually be reflected in pricing.

  • I like it 1

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.