What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I had one bottle of the 13 year and thought it was laden with vitamin.  Would have loved to have been lucky and gotten a bottle with none.

I have not yet tried the BiB. 

Vitamin laden...lol. When discussing Dickel products or those sourced from Dickel I propose a shorthand VL or NVL tasting note. ;)

• I like it 1

I picked up a couple bottles before Christmas.  Some of the finest WTRR I have ever tasted.   Mine went at a Christmas Eve party.  My local had about 18 cases and sold out before New Year’s Eve.

Today I swung by a different Kroger and they still had about 8 cases.  The manager said he couldn’t believe they still had it.

Now they have 7.

96FBA6BB-C83E-43A6-83E6-E7B13FBC22A3.jpeg

BA9C955E-E60C-41EC-B64F-9E1331C853B9.jpeg

• I like it 10

2 ‘17 Stags at MSRP at local shop.  All hail the King!!  :D

E7D5F1D6-D9B8-47F2-B814-3D6DC03EF515.jpeg

• I like it 3

51 minutes ago, markandrex said:

I picked up a couple bottles before Christmas.  Some of the finest WTRR I have ever tasted.   Mine went at a Christmas Eve party.  My local had about 18 cases and sold out before New Year’s Eve.

Today I swung by a different Kroger and they still had about 8 cases.  The manager said he couldn’t believe they still had it.

Now they have 7.

Love that the newer design has the stats on the bottle.  I’m really anal about that sort of thing .

• I like it 2

51 minutes ago, markandrex said:

Now they have 7.

I have barrel 1334 lol from same exact warehouse and floor.  Kroger pick and when I went back for more he said all gone.  One of the better store picks.

• I like it 1

20200127_201316.thumb.jpg.665003068ce154c3a033d5002709ee56.jpg

20200127_201330.thumb.jpg.3db3446fcebb6d74ef7b2fd8053a4aae.jpg

Are those JB white labels a store barrel pick? Also didn’t know they did McKenna in a mini stoneware jug, only seen the regular ones. Lastly Benchmark is yo there on my list.

20200127_201316.thumb.jpg.665003068ce154c3a033d5002709ee56.jpg

20200127_201330.thumb.jpg.3db3446fcebb6d74ef7b2fd8053a4aae.jpg

Are those JB white labels a store barrel pick? Also didn’t know they did McKenna in a mini stoneware jug, only seen the regular ones. Lastly Benchmark is yo there on my list.

11 hours ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I had one bottle of the 13 year and thought it was laden with vitamin.  Would have loved to have been lucky and gotten a bottle with none.

I have not yet tried the BiB. 

My SOAS was too much vitamin for my liking too. Hopefully they won’t be using Dickel ever again.

Decided to delve back into 4 Roses with a bottle of 4RSiB. Forgot how much I liked that floral nose and oak driven taste it provides.

Was surprised to see this at Total Wine yesterday.  Heard many reports it had gone away.  Picked up two bottles with 10% off coupon. 

distillers cut.jpg

• I like it 6

12 hours ago, HoustonNit said:

I dont think they are store pics, but must have been used as swag for companys or something like that.

20200128_091816.jpg

• I like it 1

Last night I killed a (presumably CN) A, so today I replaced it with a different barrel from (presumably CN) A. I also snagged a Rossville spicy blend rye. I got to sample it and the sweet blend rye from Rossville. The sweet was like a barely legal rye or high rye bourbon: very nice, just not what I was wanting. 

20200128_160134.jpg

On 1/27/2020 at 6:25 PM, markandrex said:

Now they have 7.

That's how it's done ladies and gentlemen.  Bravo.

22 hours ago, JSpartan said:

My SOAS was too much vitamin for my liking too. Hopefully they won’t be using Dickel ever again.

Yeah the MGP SA spoiled us all!

• I like it 2

I picked up my third bottle of a KC SiB, approximately 13-14 YO, at the fine price of $41+tx. The liquor dept has had bottles from the same barrel for at least six months and the only reason I can come up with there aren't that many people with taste buds that run in the same direction as mine. I know Gurgalunas has bought his share. On my way home I decided to take a detour past a LS that has been known to have a some tasty bottles in their back room on occasion. I inquired about the availability of Stagg Jr which has gone into allocation in the KC area and the fine gentleman behind the counter retrieved a bottle from the back room for me. Not having seen any in stores for almost a year, I didn't bother to ask the price before I was told to put my Visa in the card reader. At only $50+tx, I smiled and signed on the digital line.  I don't think I'll wait until the Superbowl until I crack it open. Chiefs fan or not, good whiskey is meant for drinking.

• I like it 11

Been away for a few days (computer mother board crash).  Also, fought the urge to buy anything so far this year.  Had to go grab a bottle of wine for a retirement present for a former co-worker and ended up doing some BSS (Bottom Shelf Shopping).  Picked up these two.  The Fighting Cock isn't age stated anymore but I grabbed one anyway.

FIGHTING COCK.jpeg

• I like it 4

Decided to splurge and get Gold Status at FL ABC Fine Wine & Spirits to get access to their Vault.

While not all bourbon, I thought you guys and gals might appreciate this.

20200129_191618.jpg

• I like it 3

Decided to splurge and get Gold Status at FL ABC Fine Wine & Spirits to get access to their Vault.

While not all bourbon, I thought you guys and gals might appreciate this.

20200129_191618.thumb.jpg.28f6bc6050ce0f7d0fdd0a13b537604e.jpg
I see good use of their sourced and certified extra points.

Empery is probably my favorite pour right now. Very complex.

I've been eyeballing the Glen Moray, for probably the same reason you bought yours. I'm trying to dabble in Scotch to expand my palette and I think the 18y may be my next purchase.

2 hours ago, jwperry said:

I see good use of their sourced and certified extra points.

Empery is probably my favorite pour right now. Very complex.

I've been eyeballing the Glen Moray, for probably the same reason you bought yours. I'm trying to dabble in Scotch to expand my palette and I think the 18y may be my next purchase.

You hit the nail on the head! Outside of the Knob Creek Cask Strength Rye and Dalmore 12, all of the others were in fact Sourced and Certified (including the Bowman Bros.). It's amazing how quickly those add up with the double points.

The Empery is such an incredible rum! We tried a small pour of it last night and it was genuinely surprising.

That Glen Moray was a super rich, deep fruit bomb, with an amazing sweet maltyness. You could definitely tell how the years have matured it. Let me know how the 18 Year turns out when you get it.

Bonus Points: The Glen Moray was distilled the same year that my wife was born, and she is a scotch drinking girl, so it just made that bottle extra special

• I like it 2

I walked into a little hole-in-the-wall place on my way home.  I think I’ve been in twice in twenty years.  These were there to greet me.  OTD for $99.98 and tax.  Stagg jr. was no question and I’m hopeful the ETL may regain some of it’s past glory.  Hey, a guy can dream.  Hard to find, even around here.

EC639C8C-DB66-4248-8A54-FD398C1CB977.jpeg

Edited by markandrex
  • I like it 11

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.