What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Winter 2019)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

3 hours ago, Whiskey Junkie said:

You are a gentleman and will be blessed your whole life.  Doing the right thing should never be questioned.

Thanks - but I firmly believe that the vast majority of the folks here on SB.com would have done the same thing.  And this after meeting and drinking with many of these scoundrels in Bardstown last April!   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 3

With the way people go on and on about SW bourbon I expected a higher price than those past auctions. I guess the boom is over. 

Edited by mal00768

On 3/10/2020 at 5:05 PM, GeeTen said:

Ok, now I feel so, so  . . . . . . .  dirty.   ?

Just did some research online about the Very Extra Old Fitzgerald bottle.  Barreled in 1956, bottled in 1966.  Distilled by legendary Julian (Pappy) Van Winkle I at the Stitzel-Weller distillery and bottled a year after his death by his son, Julian Van Winkle II.  Presented in a felt-lined lock-and-key box with two (2) 1oz. glasses.

Recently went for 3,600 pounds (can't get special characters to work) or $4,630 +/- at auction in May, 2018 without the key (I don't have the key either).

So, I called my wife's friend and asked for my money back, letting them know what I've found out about their bottle, and offered to take them to Skinner's Auctions to put the whole she-bang under the hammer.  I could have kept the bottle for myself but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it or drinking the whiskey.  I know, I know - I'm such a wimp.  But this has got to be some sort of bourbon zen, no?   ?

At least I can sleep easily tonite.   Grandpa Weller's Four Grain over a mint spherical ice cube is also helping ease the pain.  ?

One night at the Gazebo gathering about fifteen years ago, Omar Montejo produced a 1957 bottle of this that he had found on a dusty hunt earlier in the day. Other than Cliff's SW "Barrel C", I'd have to say it's the most beautiful bourbon I've ever consumed.

• I like it 6

22 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Picked up three OGDBIB 750s in anticipation of staying home for the next two weeks or so.  Now that the NCAA tourneys and Spring Training are suspended, they may not last two weeks.  I may have to dip into my bunkered 114s.

Whadda we do now Harry?  Binge watch Live PD?  :o

On thread, WT101 and OF Sig. 

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

Whadda we do now Harry?  Binge watch Live PD?  :o

On thread, WT101 and OF Sig. 

Bought nothing although I am pining for the WT MK Cornerstone Rye I passed on when picking up those OGD BIBs.  What to do?  Well, MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) has started showing "classic" Orioles vs. somebody and Nats vs. somebody.  It's something baseball-related.  I may have to go clean the moss and mold off my catcher's mitt if I can find it and beg the neighborhood kids to play catch with the old faht.

8 hours ago, jbutler said:

One night at the Gazebo gathering about fifteen years ago, Omar Montejo produced a 1957 bottle of this that he had found on a dusty hunt earlier in the day. Other than Cliff's SW "Barrel C", I'd have to say it's the most beautiful bourbon I've ever consumed.

Oh no. Frank can barely swallow now. No good dead goes unpunished. :) 

• I like it 2

This stuff has made an appearance in Northern Illinois. Stopped at Costco to grab a few things and grabbed a bottle as well... toilet paper be damned. 

20200313_195119.jpg

• I like it 5

6 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

Bought nothing although I am pining for the WT MK Cornerstone Rye I passed on when picking up those OGD BIBs.  What to do?  Well, MASN (Mid-Atlantic Sports Network) has started showing "classic" Orioles vs. somebody and Nats vs. somebody.  It's something baseball-related.  I may have to go clean the moss and mold off my catcher's mitt if I can find it and beg the neighborhood kids to play catch with the old faht.

You’re a catcher?  Figures.   Well, I used to have a pretty good fastball, and I don’t mind saying a damn good “double over handed yellow hammer” curve ball.  Don’t be surprised if I show up at your door one day and kidnap you and take you to a Nats game a la “Field of Dreams”.  Afterwards, we’ll have a catch.  ?

I’ll bring the 15 yr KC PS I picked up today, to then medicate our broken arms... ?

20 hours ago, jbutler said:

Hey Boss,

Way cool!  So I should go back and grab it off the auction block and keep it for the thundering horde in Bardstown, yes???   Or I could bring it to Sonoma, meet you and yours for dinner at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa (daughter #2 was the Director of Leisure Sales there)  and share a fine bottle of wine and a wee dram or three of the amber gold the next time we go visit my Mom in Fremont?  And I'll bring a gold pen for you to sign my SB.com Glencairns, too.  Just sayin'.   ?

Edited by GeeTen
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, GeeTen said:

Hey Boss,

Way cool!  So I should go back and grab it off the auction block and keep it for the thundering horde in Bardstown, yes???   Or I could bring it to Sonoma, meet you and yours for dinner at the Fairmont Sonoma Mission Inn and Spa (daughter #2 was the Director of Leisure Sales there)  and share a fine bottle of wine and a wee dram or three of the amber gold the next time we go visit my Mom in Fremont?  And I'll bring a gold pen for you to sign my SB.com Glencairns, too.  Just sayin'.   ?

Well absolutely contact me next time you're out, and we'll get together for dinner or what have you. Of course you should buy it and drink it with me. I may be crazy, but I'm not stupid! As for signing the Glencairns, we'll have my wife do it. Stephanie's version of my signature looks more like my signature than my signature does ... or something like that.

• I like it 5

Once this Covid-19  thing passes, I might just have to take the family to Dyersville to see the Field Of Dreams again. My wife and I have been there twice. Both times it was fun. On one trip, we accidentally timed it just right. A couple of times a year, they have days when the ball players come out of the corn field and start playing catch. Now that was cool! 

Biba! Joe 

• I like it 2

12 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

You’re a catcher?  Figures.   Well, I used to have a pretty good fastball, and I don’t mind saying a damn good “double over handed yellow hammer” curve ball.  Don’t be surprised if I show up at your door one day and kidnap you and take you to a Nats game a la “Field of Dreams”.  Afterwards, we’ll have a catch.  ?

I’ll bring the 15 yr KC PS I picked up today, to then medicate our broken arms... ?

If we can find a hitter, I'll shag the fly balls. I used to be a pretty good right and center fielder.

On 3/10/2020 at 8:05 PM, GeeTen said:

Ok, now I feel so, so  . . . . . . .  dirty.   ?

Just did some research online about the Very Extra Old Fitzgerald bottle.  Barreled in 1956, bottled in 1966.  Distilled by legendary Julian (Pappy) Van Winkle I at the Stitzel-Weller distillery and bottled a year after his death by his son, Julian Van Winkle II.  Presented in a felt-lined lock-and-key box with two (2) 1oz. glasses.

Recently went for 3,600 pounds (can't get special characters to work) or $4,630 +/- at auction in May, 2018 without the key (I don't have the key either).

So, I called my wife's friend and asked for my money back, letting them know what I've found out about their bottle, and offered to take them to Skinner's Auctions to put the whole she-bang under the hammer.  I could have kept the bottle for myself but I wouldn't be able to enjoy it or drinking the whiskey.  I know, I know - I'm such a wimp.  But this has got to be some sort of bourbon zen, no?   ?

At least I can sleep easily tonite.   Grandpa Weller's Four Grain over a mint spherical ice cube is also helping ease the pain.  ?

Winning bidder should pour you three fingers.

Two bottles of JBDC. Was at an express checkout counter and saw them on the shelf. $21.99 seemed worth it given the high praise.

• I like it 1

33 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Two bottles of JBDC. Was at an express checkout counter and saw them on the shelf. $21.99 seemed worth it given the high praise.

Feel it’s a little high. 15-16 is average I feel. That said... I’d happily pay $25 ?

On 3/14/2020 at 12:14 AM, smokinjoe said:

I have the bent fingers to prove what I was.  Took me a year to learn to cover the ball in the mitt with a CLOSED fist.  Good news was it was Little League before pitchers could change speeds - I'd have LOST fingers because my depth perception sucks. Sliders and fast balls and change-ups all looked the same to me.

And, I have to admit - why was I a catcher?  Because I couldn't catch doodoo unless it was thrown right at me.

• I like it 1

Found a bottle of KC 12yr at a Total Wine in SW FL. I got their last bottle.

Found a bottle of EC FP C918 at a small store in Naples, FL. Got their last bottle too.

yesterday.... old ezra 7 year old (first time purchase), eagle rare (restocking but price was  39.99 , highest i have ever seen), 1792 full proof (first time purchase), and buffalo trace (restocking) in CT

• I like it 1

picked up a Booker's 2019-03 Country Ham while out running errands during lunch today. With my office and the wife's office making the decisions today to have people work from home for an unspecified amount of time this bottle may not last long.

Ohio and Michigan both are panicked over The possibility of the closing of liquor stores. I kind of bought in and went to my honey hole and grabbed 2 OGD BIB, 2 WT101 & a bottle of Weller SR. A tad over $100 plus tax. 

Super happy to see the delivery guy today... mostly for a brief moment of social interaction.  I’ve been talking to the cats a lot this week... ?

57787368-E28F-4F29-848B-E9838B104C17.jpeg

• I like it 6

Stopped into a small local store today to try and pick up some stuff to support them, and picked up this Maker’s Slam Dunk bottle.  First one I’ve ever seen on a shelf.  I suppose, since there’s no March Madness this year to keep me entertained for the next 3 weeks,  this slam dunk will have to do... ?

097EC4F1-4F43-402F-8781-964661A70E55.jpeg

• I like it 5

15 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

Stopped into a small local store today to try and pick up some stuff to support them, and picked up this Maker’s Slam Dunk bottle.  First one I’ve ever seen on a shelf.  I suppose, since there’s no March Madness this year to keep me entertained for the next 3 weeks,  this slam dunk will have to do... ?

097EC4F1-4F43-402F-8781-964661A70E55.jpeg

That's awesome.  

I keep hearing (on the distillery tour) that the employees do this occasionally.

I've never seen one either in the store.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.