What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Finishing off an Old Forester Rye bottle. I like to keep one of those in the rotation.

• I like it 2

Said final goodbyes to the last of a KO Batch 1 on Friday.  That bottle will be missed.

Pinhook Rye Humor cask strength. This bottle gets better with every pour.   Definitely one I am glad to have a backup bottle of waiting in the wings. 

Some OF Rye in the flask on the golf course yesterday. Hadn’t swung the wrenches in almost 2 years.

89352628-C703-45B5-98A5-7D6CFCB04867.jpeg

• I like it 2

So I was near a fancy neighborhood who has a super well known store. But today I went to the other one. This is the result. I'm super happy with this iteration. The store does provide tasting. And the guy who helped me out was really knowledgeable. It's going to become a regular stop.

IMG_20200529_144946.jpg

• I like it 1

Cracked the Michter’s BS Rye tonight since the National Guard is setting up downtown tonight, my Lord what a great pour. Will need to find a backup and Toasted Barrel strength Rye as well... Not the biggest Michters fan but those hit hard 

Getting out of the house a little bit and made my first rye purchase since the COVID situation started.  Just restocking some Rittenhouse BIB for cocktails.   I was already headed in for some Campari after seeing smokinjoe's Negroni the other day. 

• I like it 1

On 5/22/2020 at 10:10 AM, kcgumbohead said:

Just purchased a local distilleries annual ( I think) cask strength rye. ASW Resurgens rye. I thought the standard version had potential a few years ago when I tried it so hopefully a couple more years and proof points will reinforce my positive initial impression. Plus it’s nice to support a local that’s actually making their own products. They do some sourcing but are primarily an actual distiller.

Not sure it has gained much age. They tend to bottle it young (as with pretty much all their products) and get it out the door.

On 5/29/2020 at 5:06 PM, Mattk said:

So I was near a fancy neighborhood who has a super well known store. But today I went to the other one. This is the result. I'm super happy with this iteration. The store does provide tasting. And the guy who helped me out was really knowledgeable. It's going to become a regular stop.

IMG_20200529_144946.jpg

Very humble of them to label their pick as "Marvelous Rye"...

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Very humble of them to label their pick as "Marvelous Rye"...

They were not wrong. I PMed a few locals about this one, and I'll be going back for more.

On 6/2/2020 at 6:46 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

Not sure it has gained much age. They tend to bottle it young (as with pretty much all their products) and get it out the door.

I have made the point to them on a few occasions that more age would be to their benefit. I was told this years CS release is "just under 3yrs", how just under? WTF knows. I will say I think the 100% malted rye mashbill is different enough and I didn't hate the standard bottling a few years ago when I tried it at the distillery, so a CS version, especially given the beating local businesses have suffered recently seemed a worthy purchase. They really need to get those ages up to at least 4YRs though as I don't see myself breaking my "at least 4yrs old before considering a purchase" rule again anytime soon. They have also been around long enough now that that shouldn't be too much of a problem. I like that they are doing some cool things with the variety of recipes and these occasional CS offerings. It is nice to have a distillery that's not 6hrs away ( and NOTHING will ever replace those!!). They are IMO doing the crafty thing the right way by not trying to out bourbon the big boys, they can't and won't. I appreciate that they produce unique whiskies and seem to be genuine about the various tangents they explore with recipes, flavor profile targets..., as long as  those whiskies are good and use full size barrels, minimum 4yrs of age.... all that jazz, then yeah, I am will pull for them to succeed and flourish. Hopefully one day soon they will start hitting those marks. In the mean time I am looking forward to this current release, viva ATL.

For those just tuning in, we are referring to ASW distillery in Atlanta.

I'll post a note on this one once I open it, could be as early as tonight depending on how much post work house painting I get done.

Working on a pour of a store pick WP10.  Just went to a local Mexican restaurant for the first time in months, and it felt great to actually go inside and eat some chips and salsa.

• I like it 2

Thunderstorms are rolling through as I'm about to try my first sip of the castle and key sourced rye. My weekend begins.

IMG_20200605_162239.jpg

• I like it 1

So has anyone else tried the rye'd on yet? I'm interested to hear others opinions on this one for sure. Particularly because it might make it into a regular tasting rotation and my pallet and preferences are just different from many others'. I find it on initial inspection to be a completely average rye. A bit lighter on the proof, but in the best possible spot. They really did take the time to dial it in. Not much on the nose, some citrus and vanilla, but faint. Followed by a young tasting spirit, good mouthfeel, but just not old enough to be rounded. But I digress, the whole point of this post I suppose is the finish. I'm getting a lasting creme brulee that is just outstanding. It really makes it hard to reach for another bottle knowing that the finish won't be anywhere near this. How does this compare to your sip?

7 hours ago, Mattk said:

So has anyone else tried the rye'd on yet? I'm interested to hear others opinions on this one for sure. Particularly because it might make it into a regular tasting rotation and my pallet and preferences are just different from many others'. I find it on initial inspection to be a completely average rye. A bit lighter on the proof, but in the best possible spot. They really did take the time to dial it in. Not much on the nose, some citrus and vanilla, but faint. Followed by a young tasting spirit, good mouthfeel, but just not old enough to be rounded. But I digress, the whole point of this post I suppose is the finish. I'm getting a lasting creme brulee that is just outstanding. It really makes it hard to reach for another bottle knowing that the finish won't be anywhere near this. How does this compare to your sip?

I have not tried the rye'd on yet, but the Rye Humor is a great pour.  Half of my first bottle is already gone, and I have not even had it that long.

This certainly met my expectations-- simple, yet deceptively complex at the same time. A great warm-up band.

IMG_4608.thumb.jpg.1d7bb9c5932635cdfe8d4aebc31980f8.jpg

• I like it 2

Smooth Ambler 8 Year Old  116 proof. A little pour neat followed by a little larger pour with a touch of water added.

This 8 year old MGP sings a pleasant melody. 

• I like it 2

On 6/5/2020 at 8:46 PM, Mattk said:

Thanks for sharing your impressions. I have not tasted this one and likely won’t as i am holding our for a couple more years and the debut of C&Ks bib version. I have been following this one since the announcement and I have been very curious to hear how their output fares even at its current age, so far it sounds promising. Sorry I can’t contribute to what you are looking for. 
On topic, I had some more of the Dads Hats bib that I continue to enjoy. A powerhouse of a rye.

It's always a good day when I find one of these. I bought this one home today to meet some of its family.

IMG_20200608_160421.jpg

• I like it 1

On 6/5/2020 at 3:27 PM, Mattk said:

Thunderstorms are rolling through as I'm about to try my first sip of the castle and key sourced rye. My weekend begins.

IMG_20200605_162239.jpg

So, who drank the first bit of the bottle?  ;)

Edited by 0895

On 6/5/2020 at 8:46 PM, Mattk said:

I have been waiting to see if this company continues to bottle C&K with more age on it (and of course C&K will likely release some once it is at least 4yo) and if it is anything close to reasonably priced when they do before considering heading down this particular branch of the rabbit hole.  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.