What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Cheaped out on my first Rye sampling and bought a bottle of Old Overholt.  I figure if there's anything in it that I like, I'll begin exploring more Rye whiskies in the near future.

• I like it 1

Enjoying a glass of WP 18 while watching the Braves on this Saturday evening.  I love this bottle, and will be sad to see it go.  It is already getting too low for my liking.

Work is cancelled tomorrow due to a tropical storm. Started the night off with a huge pour of pikesville. So big in fact I was unable to finish it before dinner. Beef tenderloin over salad, paired with Justin cab sav. After dinner I added 1 part balcones rye to the 3 parts pikesville I had from earlier. It is currently quite a decedent dessert pour.

Edited by Mattk
Bad spelling

Tonight am having a New Riff SiB Rye that I picked up at the distillery in December. The notes describe the taste as Schnecken. I needed that explained to me while drinking it at the bar prior to the tour.

Pinhook Rye Humor in the glass tonight after a pretty good day.  Relaxing while the wife is listening to the Willie Nelson channel on the Amazon dot.  She finds it funny that I can sing along with almost every song.

• I like it 1

Finished off a WP PiggyBack 6y tonight. 
I think I actually like this better then the standard 10y WP. 
ADC55892-A443-4099-A830-A0AD99306592.thumb.jpeg.a842f7f827781148085beb40f50fda2e.jpeg

• I like it 1

20 hours ago, LCWoody said:

ADC55892-A443-4099-A830-A0AD99306592.thumb.jpeg.a842f7f827781148085beb40f50fda2e.jpeg

I picked one of these up several weeks ago, and have really enjoyed it.  I don’t have a lot of experience with WPs, because the pricing has kept me away.  But, the price on this was relatively decent, so went for it, and I am pretty happy I did.  

• I like it 2

On 8/11/2020 at 7:55 PM, LCWoody said:

I agree with you.

Especially some of the recent WP10 picks.

I think the best way I can describe them is one dimensional and overly spicy.  One local pick is like black pepper water.

Picked up this James E Pepper Barrel Proof and found it to be quite good for $35,  decided to purchase another bottle.

pepper.jpg

17 hours ago, MikeF said:

Picked up this James E Pepper Barrel Proof and found it to be quite good for $35,  decided to purchase another bottle.

pepper.jpg

Very interesting, was it distilled in Indiana, and does it have an age statement?

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

Very interesting, was it distilled in Indiana, and does it have an age statement?

I believe it's 3 year MGP

• I like it 2

Now moved to the older Redemption BP 8 Year in the wax topped bottle. I cant decide which one I prefer. Seems like the 8 year has a bit more of the MGP dill note tonight.

• I like it 1

A SBS with Pikesville vs. Wilderness Trail. The WT my preference and it usually is when I A/B it with other ryes. Somedays the Pikesville is better than others but overall I prefer its  younger sibling Rittenhouse. The sample size is too small yet but so far I seem to prefer younger ryes 4-5yrs ( NR, WT, DADS HAT, WILLET, OLD FORESTER, )and older ryes around 10 or better yrs old ( VW, WP, HW) the middling ages just don't do it for me. I was never more than meh, about my RR SiB and the Pikesville more often than not gets a similar reaction. Maybe its price too? For around 60 bucks I expect to be impressed so neither of these will return to the cabinet anytime soon. 
WTRB has a blend of these middle aged ryes and it has been excellent so score one for the middle agers LOL!!

Grab a liter each or WT101 Rye and OF Rye. Going into the bunker for a rainy day. 

• I like it 1

So that was the most incredible 4 year old birthday party ever. The pony rides and themed entertainment was incredible. I got my daughter a bike, and she made out like a bandit otherwise. 250+ wings down, her idea. But man did they put a dent in it. Not pictured are all the splits, beers, Seltzers, and random opens consumed.

IMG_20200822_230604.jpg

• I like it 2

On 8/22/2020 at 9:05 AM, kcgumbohead said:

A SBS with Pikesville vs. Wilderness Trail. The WT my preference and it usually is when I A/B it with other ryes. Somedays the Pikesville is better than others but overall I prefer its  younger sibling Rittenhouse. The sample size is too small yet but so far I seem to prefer younger ryes 4-5yrs ( NR, WT, DADS HAT, WILLET, OLD FORESTER, )and older ryes around 10 or better yrs old ( VW, WP, HW) the middling ages just don't do it for me. I was never more than meh, about my RR SiB and the Pikesville more often than not gets a similar reaction. Maybe its price too? For around 60 bucks I expect to be impressed so neither of these will return to the cabinet anytime soon. 
WTRB has a blend of these middle aged ryes and it has been excellent so score one for the middle agers LOL!!

Damn this makes me think i should open my Wilderness trail rye!  If only I didn't already have too many ryes open already ...

1 hour ago, Kepler said:

If only I didn't already have too many ryes open already ...

This has never stopped me before.

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Correct answer, you win ?

Haha! We're all such a bunch of enablers around here.

• I like it 1

2 hours ago, Kepler said:

Damn this makes me think i should open my Wilderness trail rye!  If only I didn't already have too many ryes open already ...

Uh, Big Enabler Here!!  I was skeptical when "somebody" here touted WT RYE (which I mistook for an endorsement of Wild Turkey Rye).

SO!  I bought a WildTrail Rye to decide for myself.  I decided weeks ago - One should not count the WildTrail Rye against an arbitrary limit of "ryes open".

HE HATH SPOKEN!

• I like it 3

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.