What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

13 hours ago, Mattk said:

I'm awaiting it's arrival in MD with drooling lips. Please give me tasting notes as I might ruin my pants soon.

While it is set to be  a national release and a permanent line extension verses LE, this initial shipment is farly slim so I don’t know that it will be 12 deep on the shelf whenever it does arrive. Make a couple of calls and see if someone might alert you when it does hit or you might be waiting awhile. The store that alerted me admitted they only got “very few” and they were going fast. None were on the shelf and the only one I saw was in the back cabinet tagged with my name.

18 hours ago, Mattk said:

I'm awaiting it's arrival in MD with drooling lips. Please give me tasting notes as I might ruin my pants soon.

Drooling lips, tasting notes, and ruin my pants...I’m not liking the visual of this...  Besides probably being illegal in 38 states, I think it’s anatomically impossible... ?

Edited by smokinjoe
  • I like it 1

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Drooling lips, tasting notes, and ruin my pants...I’m not liking the visual of this...  Besides probably being illegal in 38 states, I think it’s anatomically impossible... ?

Sipping it now.  Can't say my lips are drooly or my pants are wet, but it's a good thing.   The whiskey that is!

Edited by scratchline
  • I like it 1

Picked this up yesterday.  Part of a barrel selection I took part in back in November of 2019 at Willett,

38858E2E-C064-47C7-9FB2-54EA986CBDE9_1_201_a.jpeg

CF23E7D2-24D5-4A27-8F7D-5468A79AEB41_1_201_a.jpeg

78BCB6D1-7E19-48F2-BE19-F7BBD9F65D78_1_201_a.jpeg

• I like it 1

SBS of RRBS rye and RB rye. I have never been blown away with my particular RR rye, it has improved over time but never to the level to warrant its price tag IMO. I Expected a stellar rye and got anything but. The  initial pour was unpleasant but evolved into a good but nothing special second half of the bottle. RB rye is also 60.00 and while only one pour in it is everything I hoped RR would have been. Sweet entry, big spice, long lingering finish, no off or weird flavors. RB rye joins WP10, New Riff bib rye, Dads Hat bib and Wilderness Trail rye at the top of my rye list. While I am a longtime WT fan, I have had shitty luck with the off the rack SB expressions, my only WTKS should have been blended away into the 81p mixer and there had to have been better rye barrels than what I got, RB is proof of that. Anywho...if you like rye, really like it, if you see RB rye I doubt you’ll be dissatisfied.

• I like it 3

Ending my night once again with the copper fox original rye. It's not straight. Nor is it typical. However it is a great final sip. It's a heavily malted rye with much wood smoke flavors, but the least of them oak. I can't believe I let this one laps from my rotation for even a bit.

1595384411750383101457.jpg

I opened a fresh bottle of OF 100 Rye.  It had been a while.  This stuff really hits the spot. 

I hope B-F doesn't mess this up, and keeps making it.  Less than $20 at the grocery store - man, you can't beat that deal with a stick.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, PaulO said:

I opened a fresh bottle of OF 100 Rye.  It had been a while.  This stuff really hits the spot. 

I hope B-F doesn't mess this up, and keeps making it.  Less than $20 at the grocery store - man, you can't beat that deal with a stick.

That is a fine pour, mine had a weird green bell pepper note during the first 1/3rd of the bottle, not weird bad just nothing I ever tasted in a whiskey before and while its not my favorite note, I was glad it dissipated as the bottle drained, its great now.

On topic, I retired my sub par RRSB rye last night, finally.

WTRB Rye. I'm in love. Thick mouthfeel. More pepper and spice than 101 Rye. I'm a huge fan after 1 sitting. 

D23CBB5F-C2F9-447B-895E-34A5968C361D.jpeg

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

WTRB Rye. I'm in love. Thick mouthfeel. More pepper and spice than 101 Rye. I'm a huge fan after 1 sitting. 

D23CBB5F-C2F9-447B-895E-34A5968C361D.jpeg

Preach!! :)

On 7/1/2020 at 2:58 PM, JCwhammie said:

? 

That is very odd. I picked mine up at a TW in Louisville in October (I believe). Either it's a crazy coincidence that we all got bottles from the same barrel or some people in Danville, KY have some 'splainin' to do

20200701_134707.jpg

So here's the answer

Screenshot_20200724-191514.png

• I like it 1

51 minutes ago, Mattk said:

So here's the answer

That's for that info, Matt. 

Enjoying this generous sample from a buddy.

smokey and malty and chocolaty all wrapped up into one.

I probably won’t buy a bottle of this, but Im really glad to have tried it from an experience standpoint.

F04EF6F5-1B27-4524-90C5-6FA768B38F47.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:17 PM, Mattk said:

So here's the answer

Ok I am confused. The reply references a different expression than what you asked about. The question relates to “single barrel” rye, the bottle lists a barrel #. The reply is about small BATCH bourbon  instead of RYE and the method behind their batching codes vs a SINGLE barrel which would seem to require little explanation or a least a very different one that what was given.

4 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Ok I am confused. The reply references a different expression than what you asked about. The question relates to “single barrel” rye, the bottle lists a barrel #. The reply is about small BATCH bourbon  instead of RYE and the method behind their batching codes vs a SINGLE barrel which would seem to require little explanation or a least a very different one that what was given.

It would appear they used the same method for both. So the section labeled barrel # is still just barrel date and dump date now.

7 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

3 hours ago, Mattk said:

It would appear they used the same method for both. So the section labeled barrel # is still just barrel date and dump date now.

I follow the label method they describe but on my bottle the rear label lists "Bottle 100 of 183" it is handwritten so at bottling they knew it was a single barrel and the bottle yield as well. Why muddy the waters with a vague 15D17 in the "barrel" field of the label if it doesn't denote the actual barrel? They are still growing so I get it,  there are little bugs like this to work out. I recall buying this in the GS and figuring I had bottle 100 from Barrel 15D17, then I saw 15D17 on bottles here in GA and others in other states. At least some of what they are listing makes sense now. 

All this wilderness Trail talk sent me back to my GS 2019 purchase. It is.... FANTASTIC!!!

On 7/26/2020 at 4:30 PM, 0895 said:

Enjoying this generous sample from a buddy.

smokey and malty and chocolaty all wrapped up into one.

I probably won’t buy a bottle of this, but Im really glad to have tried it from an experience standpoint.

F04EF6F5-1B27-4524-90C5-6FA768B38F47.jpeg

Yeah it's a weird one. I don't have a bottle but I've picked up a couple of minis just to try it out. Something's missing here (maybe age I dunno ?) but it's not bad, just odd.

4 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Rye Spice

Bingo that could be it. Been awhile since I tried it but I think you might have nailed it

• I like it 1

Just got myself one of these. I haven't had one in my possession for a few years now. I hope it's as good as I remember.

IMG_20200729_160051.jpg

• I like it 1

On 7/24/2020 at 7:17 PM, Mattk said:

So here's the answer

If they give you the exact date of barreling why not give you the date of bottling as well rather than just a pretty non-specific year indication? Seems odd.

On ‎7‎/‎29‎/‎2020 at 4:37 PM, Mattk said:

Just got myself one of these. I haven't had one in my possession for a few years now. I hope it's as good as I remember.

IMG_20200729_160051.jpg

You are going to love it!

So it's either a weird pallet day or I got an atypical bottle. But the ritt bib is hitting today. Got rained out earlier, so I'm starting a bit early but this is one of the best Rittenhouses I've ever had. The floral rose note is prevalent, even out of a slope sided glass. And the cherry note on the taste is dominant. Might have to try some other HH ryes today just to see, but man is it going to be hard to want to change this up. And it's corn sweet. I don't know what exactly is going on here, but I hope it's repeatable.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.