What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Went out for a nice drive today and came across this in Illinois.

Curiosity got the better of me, and why not... I need more rye in my life. 

8B1687CD-E1B4-4B12-8DD1-E08F51C35F7F.jpeg

Other than Sazerac and THH, what other ryes, if any, does BT distill?

14 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Other than Sazerac and THH, what other ryes, if any, does BT distill?

Colonel E.H. Taylor Rye comes to mind.

Biba! Joe

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Colonel E.H. Taylor Rye comes to mind.

Biba! Joe

oops, forgot about CEHT Rye.  

31 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

oops, forgot about CEHT Rye.  

You can safely call it a Sazerac product, but the label would lead you to believe it is not solely distilled at BT.  Barton is also mentioned on the label.

I'll also add that I absolutely do not like it.  I keep trying it at parties to see if it was a one off occurrence, but it is still not good to me several tastes years later for whatever reason.

• I like it 3

17 hours ago, flahute said:

A couple years ago a friend set up a double blind tasting of ryes. There was one particular rye that was the consensus least liked. Most of us hated it. It was BT distilled Saz 18. I can't remember if it was the first or second year of it being all their distillate but I think it was the first.

I also have not liked the new Saz18, but enjoyed the old tanked stuff. Interestingly, when VWFRR switched to new BT juice, I still liked it. But, I think the general understanding is that they are different mashbills. I know there was speculation that the new VWFRR was going to be from the EHT rye mashbill, but I’ve never heard anyone directly confirm that either

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

I also have not liked the new Saz18, but enjoyed the old tanked stuff. Interestingly, when VWFRR switched to new BT juice, I still liked it. But, I think the general understanding is that they are different mashbills. I know there was speculation that the new VWFRR was going to be from the EHT rye mashbill, but I’ve never heard anyone directly confirm that either

Rumors abound, and I ain’t gonna ask. ? BT or Barton maybe?  

Biba! Joe

On 11/2/2020 at 7:15 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Rumors abound, and I ain’t gonna ask. ? BT or Barton maybe?  

Biba! Joe

Or blend of some sort as the old VWFRR was reported to be.

image.thumb.jpeg.3ceecac2392b69fb25c05e1493b97fbb.jpeg
Wanted to see why the Peerless was so high so I bought a pint. Still wondering.
Also ran across a Willett with a little age last week. 

• I like it 3

Today is our 11th anniversary, and the wife’s favorite is High West.

This bottle only comes out once a year.

??

F1258AA9-ADE3-441E-BAB6-13E7646A0A52.jpeg

Edited by 0895
  • I like it 6

56 minutes ago, 0895 said:

??

Happy Anniversary!

• I like it 2

Sipping a real nice one -  Stoll & Wolfe,  distilled in Virginia, aged 46 months,  and representing the mashbill and skill of Dick Stolll,  the last distiller at the (real) Michter;s.   

This is being billed as Pennsy Rye,   but it's really true Kentucky style,  really more like a high bourbon that's balanced and approachable at a sunny-day 90 proof.    As good as Saz, which I think it resembles?   I'd say so.   

• I like it 1

On 11/7/2020 at 2:57 PM, 0895 said:

??

Looks delicious.  Happy anniversary

• I like it 1

Polished off the last 6 (or so) ounces of a WT 101 last night.  It was good enough to open another one tonight. 

Gotta' stay safe, y'all… 

• I like it 1

Definitely a good pour!  According to the label it is their distillate , young but definitely one to keep on hand.  
Had a few during the CMAs, and posted in the 2019 thread.  I need more of this if it make me forget 2020!

7F71FC38-D5E2-483C-A6A8-D06D193CCE25.jpeg

• I like it 2

So I haven't been consuming much over the last couple of weeks, but I have still been buying. I've found no unicorns yet this fall, but did come across a few bottles of rye that I was either interested to try, or knew I liked and wanted a backup.

IMG_20201115_095911.jpg

This week, I've polished off the aforementioned WT101, a very nice JEP BP and a WPiggyback.  Each one having brought different levels of enjoyment, I'm currently reminding myself of how nice it is to have such a variety of really solid, readily available expressions as we do now.        

• I like it 3

I took a drive today to clear my head. Probably stopped through 20 stores or so. It was a country drive, so these stores were not exactly close to one another. But the few bottles I did get were pretty cool. The white dog is for a buddy of mine who really likes all things BT.

IMG_20201115_163423.jpg

On 11/5/2020 at 9:10 PM, FasterHorses said:

image.thumb.jpeg.3ceecac2392b69fb25c05e1493b97fbb.jpeg
Wanted to see why the Peerless was so high so I bought a pint. Still wondering.
Also ran across a Willett with a little age last week. 

Almost missed that. A ten year Willett rye? 

6 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yes its a 10. Never thought i would see one much less buy one. At msrp thanks to a very cool manager. 

• I like it 2

Just discovered Wild Turkey Rare Breed  Barrel Proof Rye.  Never been that much of a Wild Turkey fan, but lately I'm a convert.  This rye is great!

• I like it 1

12 minutes ago, troyce said:

Just discovered Wild Turkey Rare Breed  Barrel Proof Rye.  Never been that much of a Wild Turkey fan, but lately I'm a convert.  This rye is great!

I had some from that same bottle, and I concur on how good this rye is.   

So I haven't had a drink in a week and a half. I just haven't wanted one since my grandmother's funeral. Until today. Having a pour of one of my favorites. Cheers my friends.

IMG_20201117_160814.jpg

• I like it 5

On 11/15/2020 at 4:52 PM, Kepler said:

Those were released “nationally” (within the normal WFE distribution area) a couple years back.  2018  I believe.

The ones I saw were around $200-300 (not sure what msrp is/was).

Anyway, the important part is that it’s batched MGP 10y rye at 115p.

Good stuff right?

Also at around the exact same time, a batch of Redemption 10 year (batched MGP rye) came out at 116.something proof for $90-100 per.

I firmly still believe the only significant difference between the two bottles is the price (both msrp and secondary), but I’ll confess to never having tried the WFE.  I just found it slightly coincidental that they both seemed to show up around the same time.... almost like Willett got some rye from the same stocks as the redemption and bottled it as a quick cash grab, knowing the WFE bottle would command a premium.

?‍♂️

10 minutes ago, 0895 said:

Those were released “nationally” (within the normal WFE distribution area) a couple years back.  2018  I believe.

Good stuff right?

Also at around the exact same time, a batch of Redemption 10 year (batched MGP rye) came out at 116.something proof for $90-100 per.

I firmly still believe the only significant difference between the two bottles is the price (both msrp and secondary), but I’ll confess to never having tried the WFE.  I just found it slightly coincidental that they both seemed to show up around the same time.... almost like Willett got some rye from the same stocks as the redemption and bottled it as a quick cash grab, knowing the WFE bottle would command a premium.

?‍♂️

I've had the good fortune of trying both. Although I was not privy to the WFE source when trying them, I did enjoy both. But they are substantially different. Bulleit came out with a 12 year shortly after and it was nowhere near the redemption. But was equally far from the redemption as far as the pine, botanical flavors went. As opposed to the dark fruit, fresh bread of the willett. IMO the 5th old carter takes the cake for fancy mgp atm..., The 6th not so much. But at the price point, I happily drink the bone snapper, or the sib old pepper which is somehow distilled in both Kentucky and Indiana.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

Good stuff right?

?‍♂️

Interesting and thanks for the info.  I have several of the Redemption 10 yr BP rye and it is quite good.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.