What Rye are you Drinking/Purchase (2020)

LCWoody
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

So I've just been super happy with the new castle and key sourced rye from pinhook, but haven't had a mgp from them in a while. Decided to pick one up to sbs them. On Evey level I'll take the rye'd on over the bourbon n rye every time. I'm glad I went back to try another mgp pinhook for the comparison, but it's really no contest to me. The castle and key stuff is way better already, even in it's infancyIMG_20200829_170520.thumb.jpg.9b0fe4cf07bf98b3ef59746444a03e06.jpg

• I like it 1

On 8/28/2020 at 8:18 PM, Marekv8 said:

The new Noble, 16 years at 68 bucks— I’m in. 

DD216937-5DE7-4B4F-8905-23A2F927EE0E.jpeg.13e0d2d0ab1d023fa0e418ce64cadee9.jpeg

Dang, I’ll buy that just for the sweet looking bottle. 

On 8/30/2020 at 6:22 PM, smokinjoe said:

Dang, I’ll buy that just for the sweet looking bottle. 

Always a sucker for pretty baubles...

?

On 8/29/2020 at 5:12 PM, Mattk said:

So I've just been super happy with the new castle and key sourced rye from pinhook, but haven't had a mgp from them in a while. Decided to pick one up to sbs them. On Evey level I'll take the rye'd on over the bourbon n rye every time. I'm glad I went back to try another mgp pinhook for the comparison, but it's really no contest to me. The castle and key stuff is way better already, even in it's infancyIMG_20200829_170520.thumb.jpg.9b0fe4cf07bf98b3ef59746444a03e06.jpg

That seems fair to me. The C&K rye seems to have great potential if the price doesn’t get too ridiculous when they release one under their own name.

6 hours ago, marshall9779 said:

Killed the last of this the other day. Need to pick up another soon.

DBB679B8-AAB8-4916-BE05-442F577B26F4.jpeg

Ugh. I am so annoyed I can't get this anymore. It was available here in the whiskey wasteland (also known as Oklahoma) but right as COVID hit it has disappeared. My buddy at the liquor store says they just can't get it. It was all over the place and my favorite easily accessible rye...and poof its gone. Drives me crazy. 

6 minutes ago, Phil T said:

Some KC twice barreled rye. Hey @flahute , where are we?

15994263246723915688878334973705.jpg

Looks like you're at the Raddison in Northern Kentucky. Balcony view or the revolving restaurant on top?

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Looks like you're at the Raddison in Northern Kentucky. Balcony view or the revolving restaurant on top?

Ding ding ding ding. Balcony view.

Just now, flahute said:

What brings you to town?

Went to the Hard Rock, then TPS, now just chillin for the evening. 

• I like it 1

I don't post about these every time I buy or drink one, but oddly for me it has been a while. Got myself another Rittenhouse today. I probably get one every three purchases, except lately. What a solid pour. I really should just buy a case.

Edited by Mattk
  • I like it 1

My 2020 resolve continues to breakdown.  I pulled the trigger on a WhistlePig PS 12yr aged on cognac casks today...along with a Delord 25 year, a way too spendy Glendronach, and PS Sherry finished Joseph Magnus. 

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, BigRich said:

My 2020 resolve continues to breakdown.  I pulled the trigger on a WhistlePig PS 12yr aged on cognac casks today...along with a Delord 25 year, a way too spendy Glendronach, and PS Sherry finished Joseph Magnus. 

That WP sounds delicious!

Found myself in a weird mood, with an unusual craving tonight after dinner.

(This is not something I usually drink in the summer)

64A8D366-ABC1-43A8-8D15-EC0B70E2470A.jpeg

I finally tried the Rare Breed rye. i certainly enjoyed it, and thought it was plenty's smooth neat. Would take a couple of these over one bottle of Cornerstone I think.....

Today I bought the first edition of the pinhook rye vertical series. I hope it's good, because I'm planning on saving it for 9 years at this point to actually do the vertical tasting at the end.

^^^^^^That’s gonna be a hell of a long wait!?

I’ve enjoyed the Pinhook 2 yr, and am very optimistic about this rye as they move forward with older distillate/future releases.  

Comparing them as 2 yr olds, IMO, they are way ahead of where Willett stood at this age/stage of their rye development.

YMMV...

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Paddy said:

^^^^^^That’s gonna be a hell of a long wait!?

I’ve enjoyed the Pinhook 2 yr, and am very optimistic about this rye as they move forward with older distillate/future releases.  

Comparing them as 2 yr olds, IMO, they are way ahead of where Willett stood at this age/stage of their rye development.

YMMV...

I actually agree greatly with you on the 2 year castle and key. I've probably already had a dozen of the rye'd on. But unfortunately the vertical series is just bottled at castle and key, but sourced from mgp. So it's definitely less exciting then it could be. But I think it may be fun.

Started the weekend with a standard Knob Creek Rye and it just didn't do it for me (or my wife). I moved on to a Union Horse Reunion Barrel Strength Rye. I like this better because it has more character to it.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.