What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

It's spring time, at least in the Northern Hemisphere, so what did you pass up today?

I've been seeing ECBP just sitting on shelves lately.

I also passed an empty shelf with a great sale price on MMCS.

Four Roses SiB SP, 4 different picks from 2019. They all seemed to have a mashbill with 35% Rye, $49. I wasn't sure what that rye level might taste like, so I didn't give it a try.

Didn't seem to be anyone in the store that could offer thoughts on it.

On my way back from a Costco run, checked out a few spots on the way:

Orphan Barrel Rhetoric 24 year - $199

Blanton’s - $100

WTRB - $49.99

Not 'today'; but a couple days ago when I was in my favorite retailer's establishment, he confided that he had two bottles of Booker's that had just come in.   

He's good about not marking up most stuff; but even at Michigan State Minimum Price it was a pass for me.

11 minutes ago, Richnimrod said:

Not 'today'; but a couple days ago when I was in my favorite retailer's establishment, he confided that he had two bottles of Booker's that had just come in.   

He's good about not marking up most stuff; but even at Michigan State Minimum Price it was a pass for me.

How much Rich?  Best price around here is $75.00.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

3 hours ago, yobber76 said:

Four Roses SiB SP, 4 different picks from 2019. They all seemed to have a mashbill with 35% Rye, $49. I wasn't sure what that rye level might taste like, so I didn't give it a try.

Were they the 100 proof OBSV or BS? If they were the 100 proof, that's a little high in price. If they were BS PS picks that's a wonderful price. 

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, JCwhammie said:

Were they the 100 proof OBSV or BS? If they were the 100 proof, that's a little high in price. If they were BS PS picks that's a wonderful price. 

They were 100 proof OBSV. I wasn't sure what the higher rye would taste like, the price while a little high, didn't concern me, I don't have a lot of experience with FRSB

11 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

How much Rich?  Best price around here is $75.00.

Biba! Joe

$79.99.    Too much for 6+- year-old Beam.    Booker's was once a "go to" high-proof option for me, and usually delivered; but in recent years, rather less so.   This younger stuff rarely satisfies in the same way, though it isn't bad Bourbon.    But, at these prices?   Sorry!    I still have several Booker's batches left from when it could be had for $45 or so (occasionally on sale for under $40!... just not in The Mitten State).    My favorite Booker's batch was the Toogie's Invitation from a few years ago.   ...Very caramel-forward mixed with even sweeter brown sugar notes, and some honey-roasted peanuts beneath.   A round table batch from a couple years earlier was very close, as well; but I have none of that left.   I have one unopened Toogie's remaining and a few ounces left in an open bottle, as well.    Nowadays, the KC SB 120 is a way better option, and some of the private pix I've had are better than most of the Booker's batches.

• I like it 5

Yesterday I passed on a $59.00 McKenna 10 year.   Passed on a Pikesville Rye for the same price.     I didn't leave empty-handed, though.   Snagged a handle of EWBIB and a bottle of Scotch, (Laphroaig) instead.

19 hours ago, yobber76 said:

Both 4R mashbills are considered high rye and that is the higher of the 2. 49.00 is an EXCELLENT price for 4RBS. I would pick up one of each, but then again, I am a card carrying cult member :).

48 minutes ago, kcgumbohead said:

Both 4R mashbills are considered high rye and that is the higher of the 2. 49.00 is an EXCELLENT price for 4RBS. I would pick up one of each, but then again, I am a card carrying cult member :).

Store pick SB 100 proof bottles go for ~ $40 usually around here. The regular SB is $37ish.

On 3/20/2020 at 1:27 PM, Clueby said:

Store pick SB 100 proof bottles go for ~ $40 usually around here. The regular SB is $37ish.

Here too, I took that post to mean SBBS which used to go for around 50.00 (thankfully I accumulated a bunch back in the day). If the OP was referring to 100p OBSV SBs then 49.00 is too high and moves to the PASS column.

Passed on a bottle of Blanton's for $58 while at the store picking up ECBP A120 today. Normally, at that price, I would be happy to take it off their hands. However, not knowing what tomorrow will bring and if the paycheck will still be landing in the bank account every two weeks, time to scale back the purchasing a lot more than I already had been.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, kcgumbohead said:

Here too, I took that post to mean SBBS which used to go for around 50.00 (thankfully I accumulated a bunch back in the day). If the OP was referring to 100p OBSV SBs then 49.00 is too high and moves to the PASS column.

He confirmed a few posts back that: "They were 100 proof OBSV"

58 minutes ago, elmossle said:

Passed on a bottle of Blanton's for $58 while at the store picking up ECBP A120 today. Normally, at that price, I would be happy to take it off their hands. However, not knowing what tomorrow will bring and if the paycheck will still be landing in the bank account every two weeks, time to scale back the purchasing a lot more than I already had been.

I would have had to buy the blantons. I can’t say it’s my favorite but when I only have an empty bottle left of it and the one LS here local only gets 1bottle a month, I’d buy it.

EH Taylor: Good bourbon at a fair price. As mentioned by other posters; Normally I pick this up but with so much uncertainty I left it at the store. When was the last time the whisky market was confused?

5FB1F0CD-54AF-4F94-873E-95A157E41B3F.jpeg

Stepped into a LLS that I’ve passed by dozens of times.  Very nice selection of bottles on tip top shelf behind the register.  Steeled myself for disappointment, and asked what the HH7 BIB was priced at.  $59.99.

Didnt bother asking about anything else.  Could see price tags for allocated, in-demand bottles, and NOPED outta there.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

Stepped into a LLS that I’ve passed by dozens of times.  Very nice selection of bottles on tip top shelf behind the register.  Steeled myself for disappointment, and asked what the HH7 BIB was priced at.  $59.99.

Didnt bother asking about anything else.  Could see price tags for allocated, in-demand bottles, and NOPED outta there.

Ridiculous!  I think it's overpriced at $40. 

• I like it 3

My buddy sent me a photo of some bourbon that's allocated in this market (Blanton's, ER10, EHT SmB, Baby Saz) that a store just a few miles away put on the shelves. I couldnt tell what prices were, but this place doesnt go over MSRP. I'm going to say this was 40% me currently having bourbon zen and 60% covid-19 (ok, more like 5% and 95%, respectively), but I decided to let the next fella have them. And yes, I'm being serious about all those being allocated here. 

Edited by JCwhammie
The more I think about it the more I realize the bunker could use another EHT SmB. Oh well.

2 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

My buddy sent me a photo of some bourbon that's allocated in this market (Blanton's, ER10, EHT SmB, Baby Saz) that a store just a few miles away put on the shelves. I couldnt tell what prices were, but this place doesnt go over MSRP. I'm going to say this was 40% me currently having bourbon zen and 60% covid-19 (ok, more like 5% and 95%, respectively), but I decided to let the next fella have them. And yes, I'm being serious about all those being allocated here. 

Heard about that as well.  I'd rather stay home.

On 3/20/2020 at 8:15 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yesterday I passed on a $59.00 McKenna 10 year.   ...

WTF?  Here in Virginy it's hard to grab, but when it shows up it's 38 bills.  That evan williams BIB and Laphroig you opted for instead is excellent choice

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, B.B. Babington said:

WTF?  Here in Virginy it's hard to grab, but when it shows up it's 38 bills.  That evan williams BIB and Laphroig you opted for instead is excellent choice

I still have a couple of $30.00 bottles that have been gathering dust.

1 hour ago, B.B. Babington said:

About 2 months ago I passed on a bottle for $99...the day after buying one down the street for $31.99. The guy claimed I had no idea what I was talking about for his shelf of "allocated" bourbons. I remember CEHTSmB on there for around $100 and Baby Saz for maybe $80 as well.

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.