What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

With the current national health crisis, I haven't been going into stores we need groceries.  Today was the day.  I noticed a Rebel Yell 10 in the glass case at the grocery store for $58.99.  I wasn't in much of a mood to hang around or even stop to look at it so I kept walking.  I haven't seen a Rebel Yell 10 in quite a while and have never purchased one.  I am not sure if $58.99 is even a good price.  I am up for something different but it just wasn't the right time.

37 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

With the current national health crisis, I haven't been going into stores we need groceries.  Today was the day.  I noticed a Rebel Yell 10 in the glass case at the grocery store for $58.99.  I wasn't in much of a mood to hang around or even stop to look at it so I kept walking.  I haven't seen a Rebel Yell 10 in quite a while and have never purchased one.  I am not sure if $58.99 is even a good price.  I am up for something different but it just wasn't the right time.

I might have picked that one up....

4 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

From what I recall seeing other people post, around $50 was the cheapest for RY 10 year.  Keep in mind it's single barrel.  So there's that variability aspect to it.

Recently I've found RY 100 proof (no age statement, so assume 4 years) at two different chains @ $19.99.   

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

For certain barrels that's a BIG bargain. Others...so, so. Cover up, wash yer hands, and go back! At a reasonable distance ask them to please bag that for you, and let us know which barrel you found. :) 

• I like it 1

K&L just posted Booker's 2020-1, Granny's Batch, but the price has gone up to $70 so I'm out.  Heck, they still have Beaten Biscuits and ECBP for $60.  I know, for some, that's not bad since Booker's has passed $80 in some areas but, IMO, Beam is making a mistake in pushing the price up so far without increasing the age statement or quality of the releases.  Up until now, I would never not get at least one bottle of each batch but, from now on, I'll just drink up my backups from prior years and/or other, just as good and cheaper, barrel proofers.   

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

K&L just posted Booker's 2020-1, Granny's Batch, but the price has gone up to $70 so I'm out.  Heck, they still have Beaten Biscuits and ECBP for $60.  I know, for some, that's not bad since Booker's has passed $80 in some areas but, IMO, Beam is making a mistake in pushing the price up so far without increasing the age statement or quality of the releases.  Up until now, I would never not get at least one bottle of each batch but, from now on, I'll just drink up my backups from prior years and/or other, just as good and cheaper, barrel proofers.   

I agree! Sometime when I wasn't paying attention, it has climbed to $90 here in NC ABC's. That's two bottles of KC Single Barrel. Almost Two bottles of ECBP

Kentucky Owl Confiscated for $125. I actually had some extra cash this month and was tempted enough that I carried it around for a few minutes while I shopped, but I left with an 8yo EWSB and a bottle of Botanist Gin (a little voice was whispering "you want a Gibson tonight") instead.

17 hours ago, mbroo5880i said:

That was MSRP on the RY10. I've purchased one bottle and it was decent but it's not one I've sought out since. 

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

From what I recall seeing other people post, around $50 was the cheapest for RY 10 year.  Keep in mind it's single barrel.  So there's that variability aspect to it.

Recently I've found RY 100 proof (no age statement, so assume 4 years) at two different chains @ $19.99.   

The RY100 has become one of my everyday drinkers at $20. One of my new favorites.

• I like it 3

Driving home today, stopped in Rochelle to get gas ($1.67!) & food in the drive thru. There was a LS next door, so I was obliged. They had a the 5-bottle set of BTAC. When asked, I was told $5k. I laughed.

I tried early Sunday morning shopping for groceries.  We can't buy alcohol before 12 p.m. so everything was a pass.  However, I ran into several nice bottles at a great price for a grocery store.  A few of the bottles have been hanging around on the shelves for a while.  I will keep them in mind for my next bulk purchase.  They had ECBP C919 for $62.99, RY10 $58.99 and Ezra BP for $42.99.  Interestingly, they were out of or low on some basic bourbons like FR.  If I miss out, I miss out. Such is bourbon zen. 

They also had Horse Soldier which I don't know much about.

• I like it 1

3 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^^

Never heard of it before.

Lucky you. ?

Biba! Joe

1 minute ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Lucky you. ?

Biba! Joe

That's what I was thinking.

Everybody safe and well at your house Joe?  Wife is working out of the house now and since I'm retired I'm her coffee boy and tech support.  Coffee I'm good at, the tech support . . .  well let's just say I hope her computer doesn't crash.

45 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

That's what I was thinking.

Everybody safe and well at your house Joe?  Wife is working out of the house now and since I'm retired I'm her coffee boy and tech support.  Coffee I'm good at, the tech support . . .  well let's just say I hope her computer doesn't crash.

We’re all doing okay here Kevin. Thanks for asking. I started staying home early. Surgery on my shoulder March 6th. Doing my pt excercises, listening to music, and watching a little tv. Having no live sports sucks. <_<

Biba!  Joe

8 minutes ago, fishnbowljoe said:

We’re all doing okay here Kevin. Thanks for asking. I started staying home early. Surgery on my shoulder March 6th. Doing my pt excercises, listening to music, and watching a little tv. Having no live sports sucks. <_<

Biba!  Joe

Tell me about it.  I've watched every Youtube video I can find of my favorite team.  Although that NBA/WNBA H-O-R-S-E competition sounds pretty interesting (LOL!).

On 4/5/2020 at 9:40 PM, mbroo5880i said:

I tried early Sunday morning shopping for groceries.  We can't buy alcohol before 12 p.m. so everything was a pass.  However, I ran into several nice bottles at a great price for a grocery store.  A few of the bottles have been hanging around on the shelves for a while.  I will keep them in mind for my next bulk purchase.  They had ECBP C919 for $62.99, RY10 $58.99 and Ezra BP for $42.99.  Interestingly, they were out of or low on some basic bourbons like FR.  If I miss out, I miss out. Such is bourbon zen. 

They also had Horse Soldier which I don't know much about.

We continue to shop using pick up for many items.  However, I still need to go to the store to pick up essential items.  Who would have thought there would be a run on things like flour, yeast, and dishwasher soap?  I noticed these little puppies were still sitting in the case.  The trigger is getting itchy but not yet pulled.  It was early when I went to the store, around 8 a.m., and I didn't see the liquor manager.  My will is getting weak.  I suspect they will either not be there on my next visit or they will come home with me.

I’ve passed on everything lately, but today the only tough choice was passing on 375 ml bottles of MMCS for $15.99. I don’t drink much Makers these days but at $32/750 for MMCS is a great deal, and a good little item to bring to a party or whatever 

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

and a good little item to bring to a party or whatever 

Party? What's that?  Oh yeah I remember those. ?  ?

• I like it 1

EC 18 for $200, Joseph Magnus Murray Hill Club for $99.99 and JB Signature Craft 12 year for $39.99 at a LLS today.  

• I like it 2

Old Forester 1910 (2) and left one on the shelf.. love that stuff!

Edited by JT3NSB

We were running low on milk and coffee, so I stopped at the grocery store on the way home from my doctors appointment Tuesday. As per what has become my normal routine, I took a slight detour through the liquor department.  ?    I passed on a SAOS. It was even a Sarah bottle, but the price of $49.99 was a bit too high. What can I say? :mellow:

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

4 minutes ago, JT3NSB said:

Old Forester 1910 (2) and left one on the shelf.. love that stuff!

I saw more of the last release than the first one.  I still see it on the shelf.  I do like it but find it to be too sweet at times.  I prefer it blended 50:50 with 1920, which I also like but sometimes find too hot.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.