What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Spring 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 4/11/2020 at 1:32 AM, steven s said:

CEHT rye, $80. Got other goodies, had to draw the line somewhere

I would have had a hard time passing that up, only because I have never seen one here in Florida. I picked up a bottle in KY where it is not such a unicorn for $75 last year and it was a fabulous rye.

I've passed on literally everything for well over 40 days. I'm not Catholic but I took part in a lent inspired commitment and this year I gave up buying any new liquor, among other commitments. 

Granted, our Wuhan coronavirus lockdown ended up making it way easier than I originally planned on to give up liquor store visits, so I'm not going to overstate my achievement. But nevertheless this is the longest time I've gone without purchasing a new bottle since my whiskey obsession kicked into high gear several years ago. Believe me, with the size of my bunker, this is definitely progress!! ?

• I like it 9

5 hours ago, Kepler said:

I've passed on literally everything for well over 40 days. I'm not Catholic but I took part in a lent inspired commitment and this year I gave up buying any new liquor, among other commitments. 

Granted, our Wuhan coronavirus lockdown ended up making it way easier than I originally planned on to give up liquor store visits, so I'm not going to overstate my achievement. But nevertheless this is the longest time I've gone without purchasing a new bottle since my whiskey obsession kicked into high gear several years ago. Believe me, with the size of my bunker, this is definitely progress!! ?

Oommmm, oommmm, oommmm.  Bourbon zen meditation?   ?

• I like it 2

A 15yr 10mo KCSIB. A local store just posted on their Facebook page that they got their barrel in. As much as I love KCSIB and oaky bourbon, there is no way I am paying the $70 they are asking for it. I was already thinking I wouldn't shop there anymore due to pricing, this just seals the deal.

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

A 15yr 10mo KCSIB. A local store just posted on their Facebook page that they got their barrel in. As much as I love KCSIB and oaky bourbon, there is no way I am paying the $70 they are asking for it. I was already thinking I wouldn't shop there anymore due to pricing, this just seals the deal.

Yikes that's a pricy compared to the usual. If it's a truly good 15yr old bourbon it's worth $70 but I completely understand your position for a big price jump like that.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, flahute said:

Yikes that's a pricy compared to the usual. If it's a truly good 15yr old bourbon it's worth $70 but I completely understand your position for a big price jump like that.

Yeah, if I tried it and thought it fantastic, I may go that high, but I have been really dissatisfied with this store. Also, any tastings are out due to the pandemic - our state is only allowing curbside pickup.

13 hours ago, Soberiquet said:

Yeah, if I tried it and thought it fantastic, I may go that high, but I have been really dissatisfied with this store. Also, any tastings are out due to the pandemic - our state is only allowing curbside pickup.

If I'm dissatisfied with a store, if I think they are gouging, or patronizing, my business goes elsewhere.  On the other hand, I'm a loyal to places that are good to me. 

I experienced the curbside pickup scenario on Friday.  I didn't realize that was mandated by the state.

2 hours ago, PaulO said:

I experienced the curbside pickup scenario on Friday.  I didn't realize that was mandated by the state.

Yeah, it's definitely a strange scenario. I think it is definitely hurting stores (I'm not saying it isn't the right call) because I have seen local stores running promos to get more business. One local had a 25% off any whisky sale. They have a nice selection and I would have loved to get something, but it was on the other side of town and I couldn't make it.

11 hours ago, PaulO said:

If I'm dissatisfied with a store, if I think they are gouging, or patronizing, my business goes elsewhere.  On the other hand, I'm a loyal to places that are good to me. 

It makes it difficult on the liquor stores since you can browse the liquor section in a grocery store.

• I like it 1

9 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

It makes it difficult on the liquor stores since you can browse the liquor section in a grocery store.

That's exactly what I was thinking.  

Even a large grocery store won't have some things available in a liquor store.  End of quarantine, I'm going on a grand tour. ?️

• I like it 3

A quick cut to the chase for once. ? I passed on MM 46 today @ $28.46. Lowest price I can remember seeing. Yes, I was tempted, but managed to resist.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

4 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

A quick cut to the chase for once....

Biba! Joe

Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...Thud...

(Sounds of SB members falling out of chairs and heads hitting floors...  ?)

• I like it 8

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.