What water of life did you purchase - Spring/Summer 2020

GaryT
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Picked up a Springbank 12yr CS this week (batch 15, Aug 2017).  Kicking myself for not buying one of these earlier, but better late than never :)  

• I like it 1

My 2020 buying drought is starting to get to me.  I ended buying dumb stuff on a lark because it’s been so long....

...although, admittedly I am a big fan of Nick Offerman, Game of Thrones, Mortlach, and Lagavulin.

B9C4DBCE-E888-40D2-B346-F7652A80E9DD.jpeg

Edited by BigRich
  • I like it 1

Another mixed bag of spirits-- the two single malts had been on the shelf for quite some time.

IMG_5046.thumb.jpg.9c19333c8c01a99de905b5fae03f930f.jpg

• I like it 2

Picked up a ardbeg 10 today. I enjoyed a couple pours of it, i cannot say either laphroaig 10 or ardbeg 10 is better but i get a little less smoke and brine on the ardbeg and a little more fruit that i cant place. 

• I like it 1

On 9/7/2020 at 4:19 PM, Marekv8 said:

Another mixed bag of spirits-- the two single malts had been on the shelf for quite some time.

IMG_5046.thumb.jpg.9c19333c8c01a99de905b5fae03f930f.jpg

I have heard that Lincoln Road Chairmen’s Reserve is quite good! Wouldn’t mind a bottle or two of that...  ?

10 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

I have heard that Lincoln Road Chairmen’s Reserve is quite good! Wouldn’t mind a bottle or two of that...  ?

Yes, the two I have (13yo and 19yo Cask 50) are very unusual and distinct from each other. He had the following bottles in stock a week ago:

• Chairman’s Reserve Master Selection 19 yr Cask 20
  • Chairman’s Reserve Master Selection 19 yr Cask 50
  • Chairman’s Reserve  Master Selection 19 yr Split Cask
  • Chairman’s Reserve Master Selection 13 yr
  • Chairman’s Reserve Master Selection 8 yr

On 9/11/2020 at 9:06 AM, Marekv8 said:

Yes, the two I have (13yo and 19yo Cask 50) are very unusual and distinct from each other. He had the following bottles in stock a week ago:

• Chairman’s Reserve Master Selection 19 yr Cask 20
  • Chairman’s Reserve Master Selection 19 yr Cask 50
  • Chairman’s Reserve  Master Selection 19 yr Split Cask
  • Chairman’s Reserve Master Selection 13 yr
  • Chairman’s Reserve Master Selection 8 yr

That is a lot of barrels! Wish I lived closer. Or maybe I don’t... ?

I managed to find several 750ml bottles of Black & White Scotch, covered in a fine layer of dust.  These were semi hidden in a store with lots of inventory.  I quite enjoyed the 1.75L bottle from a while ago.  My hopes are high.

• I like it 2

Went a wee bit out of my way today… but was pleasantly surprised. Left a real treat on the shelf that's now getting under my skin-- but going back for a bottle is bad luck in my book.

IMG_5090.thumb.jpg.a67618a3485ec3d4891fd9a4da91678b.jpg

• I like it 5

1 hour ago, Marekv8 said:

Went a wee bit out of my way today… but was pleasantly surprised. Left a real treat on the shelf that's now getting under my skin-- but going back for a bottle is bad luck in my book.

IMG_5090.thumb.jpg.a67618a3485ec3d4891fd9a4da91678b.jpg

Wow. OP 35, what a dream. And I can't wait to find an OFSBBS near me. I can only imagine the treat. 

3 hours ago, Auracom said:

supplies

98246751-8FAE-45E7-86C6-97CD93E8D4AF.thumb.jpeg.b6a8b226049d7918436df3ff02b75551.jpeg

Assuming that is the 2019 21? If so it is one of the best Springbanks I've had. 

1 hour ago, beasled said:

Assuming that is the 2019 21? If so it is one of the best Springbanks I've had. 

this is 2020. had a short window of availability at a few different places the past week or so.

Cool day tracking down this dead distillery pair over a 450 mile haul-- really good and helpful folks out there.

IMG_5098.thumb.JPG.beebb88d7ec52ada9742f780040ff0d8.JPG

• I like it 4

• 2 weeks later...

It's a sad sign that my traveling days are all-but-over when I have to purchase a bottle of Fernet-Branca.

Thanks Jeff for the opportunity to acquire the dusty Deanston 30.

IMG_5154.thumb.jpg.7accdd04f36d40664f0d2a0fb28e375b.jpg

Edited by Marekv8
  • I like it 2

2 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

It's a sad sign that my traveling days are all-but-over when I have to purchase a bottle of Fernet-Branca.

Will be particularly curious about your thoughts on the two new CB bottlings. I have had them both now and am curious if others have a similar experience to mine. 

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Thank you! The new Hedonism hasn’t landed here yet, but hopefully next week. I hope I like it as much as the Rogues’ Banquet. 

11 hours ago, tanstaafl2 said:

Will be particularly curious about your thoughts on the two new CB bottlings. I have had them both now and am curious if others have a similar experience to mine. 

Bruce, I have a bottle of Rogues’ Banquet and think it’s pretty darn good. The new Hedonism LE hasn’t hit the shelves here yet, but it’s supposed to soon. I’ll probably get one for myself when it gets here. What did you think of both of these new CB bottlings? There’s also more CB LEs coming soon...it’s hard to keep up!

On 9/26/2020 at 12:04 PM, tanstaafl2 said:

The LS owner had an open sample of the Hedonism Felicitas that I was able to try. My first impression was that they used too much of the young Port Dundas and needed to keep the proof higher than normal to retain any snap. I've got an evil bottle of 30yo Blackadder Invergordon (64.3% ABV) that I can doctor it with if needed.

On 9/27/2020 at 12:30 AM, lcpfratn said:

Bruce, I have a bottle of Rogues’ Banquet and think it’s pretty darn good. The new Hedonism LE hasn’t hit the shelves here yet, but it’s supposed to soon. I’ll probably get one for myself when it gets here. What did you think of both of these new CB bottlings? There’s also more CB LEs coming soon...it’s hard to keep up!

21 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

The LS owner had an open sample of the Hedonism Felicitas that I was able to try. My first impression was that they used too much of the young Port Dundas and needed to keep the proof higher than normal to retain any snap. I've got an evil bottle of 30yo Blackadder Invergordon (64.3% ABV) that I can doctor it with if needed.

Interesting as we are kind of opposite on these two. Rogues Banquet for me started nicely but had no real finish and just kind of died on the vine to my palate. Several other people trie it and thought the same. Maybe it was just my bottle though as others seem to like it more. 

I liked the Felicitas and the 19yo Port Dundas wasn't a concern for me. The 30yo Strathclyde that made up a third of it brought a lot of solid vanilla character that made it work to my palate. 

Next up will be the Peat Monster "Arcana" and that could interesting. Oldest whisky is a bit of 16yo Ardbeg but the 73% 14yo Talisker sounds interesting.

• I like it 1

Speaking of Port Dundas… the single grain may have better appeal to the palate and wallet of bourbon drinkers.

IMG_5178.thumb.jpg.442c5dfdb62eeca53be5e080e4710d94.jpg

• I like it 1

19 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Speaking of Port Dundas… the single grain may have better appeal to the palate and wallet of bourbon drinkers.

IMG_5178.thumb.jpg.442c5dfdb62eeca53be5e080e4710d94.jpg

Haven’t been paying much attention to Orphan Barrel of late (or for that matter seen any recent releases including this one) so I wasn’t even aware they had single grain release! Will need to see why we aren’t hearing about them. 

is it any good?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.