What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This is the result of the Scotch releases all but evaporating down here… at least one of these has an age statement. The Maker's 101 is certainly set up for holiday gifting-- with a pretty bottle & box and a sub-threshold $33.99 price tag.

IMG_5068.thumb.jpg.a3edc85822fb19e5bf621cd9cebb6a26.jpg

• I like it 5

Today I came across a private store pick of Chattanooga single barrel bourbon.  Barrel proof at 118.  I've never seen a SiB let alone a store pick

before, and I've been contemplating the Chattanooga whiskies anyway so I said wtf and pulled the trigger spur of the moment.

Cracked it open and it's really good, if still on the young side. Age on this SiB is a year older than the regular 91 and 111 bottles so I'm glad I decided to choose this one instead of the other two. I'm really sensitive to "too young" bourbons, but man this distillate is going to quite good when they mature some older stocks in the next couple of years. You can taste a difference in this higher than normal malted grain content. Unique and flavorful.

Edited by Kepler
  • I like it 1

19 hours ago, Kepler said:

Picked up the new JM Cigar Blend.  Now I can drink more of my already opened older batch 9 without trepidation!

@Kepler, which of the new batches of Cigar Blend did you happen to buy? If it is a batch that is 19 and over, you'll probably notice that the proof is significantly higher than your batch #9 would have been. 

5 hours ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@Kepler, which of the new batches of Cigar Blend did you happen to buy? If it is a batch that is 19 and over, you'll probably notice that the proof is significantly higher than your batch #9 would have been. 

Hi Nancy,

This is the batch number 26, just checked the bottle and it is 62% ABV.  The batch #9 is 56.7.  I can't wait to crack this open and give it a spin. 

These are exquisitely balanced and so well crafted.  You do really good work... keep it up please! ?  ?

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

This is the result of the Scotch releases all but evaporating down here… at least one of these has an age statement. The Maker's 101 is certainly set up for holiday gifting-- with a pretty bottle & box and a sub-threshold $33.99 price tag.

IMG_5068.thumb.jpg.a3edc85822fb19e5bf621cd9cebb6a26.jpg

That KC12 is really great.

Swung by a local to p/u a WSR they were holding for me, then headed over to a restaurant to meet some coworkers.

Noticed they still had WSR from the barrel they purchased last fall available at the bar.

Well, it’s a very good single barrel, with the nice red hots candy thing going on, so I drank a few pours this evening and then brought a full bottle home with me.  Not sure how they can sell full bottles, but I don’t really care.

73759A6D-EEDC-4D03-9286-9FA414504745.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Swung by a local to p/u a WSR they were holding for me, then headed over to a restaurant to meet some coworkers.

Noticed they still had WSR from the barrel they purchased last fall available at the bar.

Well, it’s a very good single barrel, with the nice red hots candy thing going on, so I drank a few pours this evening and then brought a full bottle home with me.  Not sure how they can sell full bottles, but I don’t really care.

73759A6D-EEDC-4D03-9286-9FA414504745.jpeg

COVID rules - LOL??

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Well, it’s a very good single barrel, with the nice red hots candy thing going on, so I drank a few pours this evening and then brought a full bottle home with me.  Not sure how they can sell full bottles, but I don’t really

How were the prices? WSR has been creeping up in price around here over the last couple of years or so. It seems to go up in $2.00 increments. It used to be $25.99, then rose to $27.99, then $29.99. I saw a couple a few weeks ago that were $31.99. Of course I bought them because I hadn’t seen any in a while.  I‘m hoping 10 In my cabinet is enough. ^_^

Biba! Joe

1 hour ago, fishnbowljoe said:

How were the prices? WSR has been creeping up in price around here over the last couple of years or so. It seems to go up in $2.00 increments. It used to be $25.99, then rose to $27.99, then $29.99. I saw a couple a few weeks ago that were $31.99. Of course I bought them because I hadn’t seen any in a while.  I‘m hoping 10 In my cabinet is enough. ^_^

Biba! Joe

The bottle from the local store was $25.99.

The restaurant barrel pick was $30 last fall when I got my first bottle and has since increased a bit since then.  It was probably a bit more than I’d ordinarily pay for a WSR, but I really enjoy the pick, and I had a substantial amount of overtime last check, so whatever... Im good with my decision.

Weller SR is still basically a lottery item or back room bottle here.

I realize that to most people it is nothing special, but sometimes I just want a nice easy sipping 90 proofer that I don’t have to think too hard about.

• I like it 2

25 minutes ago, 0895 said:

The bottle from the local store was $25.99.

The restaurant barrel pick was $30 last fall when I got my first bottle and has since increased a bit since then.  It was probably a bit more than I’d ordinarily pay for a WSR, but I really enjoy the pick, and I had a substantial amount of overtime last check, so whatever... Im good with my decision.

Weller SR is still basically a lottery item or back room bottle here.

I realize that to most people it is nothing special, but sometimes I just want a nice easy sipping 90 proofer that I don’t have to think too hard about.

Thanks Eric. Back in January, a store near me finally received a ps WSR that they picked some time last year. They had it bottled in 750’s and liters. It was $27.99 for the 750’s and $33.99 for the liters. I bought one of each, and still have the liter.

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Been enjoying the OF Brown Forman line lately so I picked up an OF Rye yesterday, haven't popped it yet.  Today added two bottles:  a George Remus store pick and a 1792 Bonded.  Haven't opened any of those yet.  Just came home and will pour an OF 100 and be happy. 

• I like it 2

The OF rye is an incredible value by my standards.   Is the house rye on our bar, and  most everyone who tries it neat or in a cocktail becomes a convert.

• I like it 2

I stopped by Safeway today while on my way to the hardware store and bought my first ever bottle of Blanton’s (and an EW BiB).

My two local liquor stores have it in stock a couple times a month for $89-$99 and there’s no way I was ever going to pay that much, but I was happy to get a bottle for $59.

• I like it 3

Passing through Idaho for work. A state run ABC had these at $59.95. Don’t recall trying the B520 so I’ll see if this can stay sealed until I fly out Saturday. 

3BF90771-DA3F-49DE-ABB7-D6F28D73B320.jpeg

• I like it 2

Picked up two wax topped 7 year Bakers while grocery shopping.  You just don’t see these often anymore.

• I like it 2

Picked these up today. WSR is a restaurant pick. Pick of the barrel it came from included.

This is my 3rd bottle of this KC220 pick. Had a $5 coupon burning a hole in my pocket. 

20200915_181353.jpg

20200915_125952.jpg

7 hours ago, markandrex said:

Picked up two wax topped 7 year Bakers while grocery shopping.  You just don’t see these often anymore.

Are they still making these or are the ones on the shelf old stock

29 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

They no longer do Bakers SmB, it's only SiB now

• I like it 1

55 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Old stock.

Made an impulse purchase of Michter’s Toasted Barrel Strength Rye today. I’ve never really thought much of the standard Michter’s line-up (other than to wonder why they cost so much), but I’m a sucker for anything barrel proof.

First opinion on tasting it is quite good. Sweet and I don’t think I would guess it’s a rye if I tasted it blind.

11 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

Not actually today, but over the last several…

IMG_5108.thumb.jpg.1547516ee5b5ba9c1f5fc1416e1167a1.jpg

Good lord, what a haul. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.