What Bourbon Did You Purchase Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Kicking myself that I should’ve picked up more than the one handle that I did.........

BE767E04-7C85-4FC9-89A8-7FE6C430B051.jpeg

• I like it 5

Bought, opened, and am drinking a 750ml of WT 101 (the usual 1L were sold out for some reason, and now that I think of it, my LS has also been out of RB for like 2 months). It's been a while since I've had a bottle of this open. Always a surprise how rich this stuff is.

• I like it 5

Could have been in the purchased, opened, or drinking threads. States it was selected in November of 19. Not sure when it was actually dumped and bottled...so its 9 to 10 years. 

It's way better than expected even. Nice depth and sweetness with a strong hit of oak at the end. The Beam "peanut/funk" is very slight to the point where I have to search for it 

20200828_203339.jpg

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, parksmart said:

Kicking myself that I should’ve picked up more than the one handle that I did.........

BE767E04-7C85-4FC9-89A8-7FE6C430B051.jpeg

Yes.

You should kick yourself for not buying more.

?

37 minutes ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Yes.

You should kick yourself for not buying more.

?

Thanks, mom.

?

• I like it 2

On 8/26/2020 at 7:09 AM, Bob_Loblaw said:

Wow! I am not sure I recall seeing one anywhere near that age! Very curious to hear your thoughts on that one. 

You and me both.  It's in the long queue to be cracked, but it might be awhile.

Bought two bottles of BT today. First time I've seen it around here in western PA for a little while. 

I've spent years hearing about how great a lot of RRSiB picks are, and I figured that i was kinda SOL on ever getting my hands on one since I'm in a control state. Then I recently found out that NC does actually do private barrel selections for stores in various counties. When the RRSiB pick showed up on the NC ABC monthly price reductions list I got super psyched because I assumed that meant there was a RR pick headed somewhere near me.

I spent the entire month reaching out to various stores in the areas (and even sent a message to the NC ABC Commission) to ask if/when this was going to be available. Nobody seemed to have any clue what I was talking about. With the month winding down, I seriously started thinking it just wasn't in the cards. I made a last-ditch call to the county ABC board office & spoke to a lady there who also didn't really know whatI was talking about. However, she began to look things up & she discovered that the county had indeed placed an order for the RR pick back in June. She said it wasn't in stock at the moment, and she had no way of telling when it would arrive... if at all. She advised me to watch the NC ABC warehouse inventory site, which I already do religiously.

I was about to give up hope when out of the blue I got a call yesterday from the guy who orders the spirits for the county. He informed me that the RR pick came in the day before, and he let me know which store had it. He also let me know that there are Woodinville & Bulleit store picks happening at other stores in the county.

So after a long day at work, I headed to that store & finally, at long last, I have a RRSiB pick! ?

692341266_RussellsReserveSiBPrivateSelection-12b.thumb.jpg.9f2a0491daed3a2e7dae9b47e22c4f9b.jpg
1573779685_RussellsReserveSiBPrivateSelection-11b.thumb.jpg.4f4c1628aff6c0c80f311fd1dbe81743.jpg

• I like it 10

was walking around costco today and they had eagle rare for $25. so came home with 2 bottles that i didn't expect to get

17 minutes ago, k-train said:

I've spent years hearing about how great a lot of RRSiB picks are, and I figured that i was kinda SOL on ever getting my hands on one since I'm in a control state. Then I recently found out that NC does actually do private barrel selections for stores in various counties. When the RRSiB pick showed up on the NC ABC monthly price reductions list I got super psyched because I assumed that meant there was a RR pick headed somewhere near me.

I spent the entire month reaching out to various stores in the areas (and even sent a message to the NC ABC Commission) to ask if/when this was going to be available. Nobody seemed to have any clue what I was talking about. With the month winding down, I seriously started thinking it just wasn't in the cards. I made a last-ditch call to the county ABC board office & spoke to a lady there who also didn't really know whatI was talking about. However, she began to look things up & she discovered that the county had indeed placed an order for the RR pick back in June. She said it wasn't in stock at the moment, and she had no way of telling when it would arrive... if at all. She advised me to watch the NC ABC warehouse inventory site, which I already do religiously.

I was about to give up hope when out of the blue I got a call yesterday from the guy who orders the spirits for the county. He informed me that the RR pick came in the day before, and he let me know which store had it. He also let me know that there are Woodinville & Bulleit store picks happening at other stores in the county.

So after a long day at work, I headed to that store & finally, at long last, I have a RRSiB pick! ?

Haha congrats man!!  You earned it. Enjoy!  ? 

But let's not forget for those reading this,,... we shouldn't sleep on the regular (non-private pick) RR Single Barrel product.  I've had several and they are all really excellent bourbons.

But I'm totally on board with your quest. Exploring the private picks are just a helluva lot of fun! ?

• I like it 3

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Haha congrats man!!  You earned it. Enjoy!  ? 

But let's not forget for those reading this,,... we shouldn't sleep on the regular (non-private pick) RR Single Barrel product.  I've had several and they are all really excellent bourbons.

But I'm totally on board with your quest. Exploring the private picks are just a helluva lot of fun! ?

Totally correct. A while back I had a coupon for a local Total Wine pick of RRSiB. They only had one left when I got there so I bought the standard version along with it. Cracked them both and the standard version was far superior.

Since this cask strength has been replaced with a static 108.3 proof version, I decided to add a couple to the bunker while i still could.

20200829_155756_HDR.jpg

• I like it 2

Picked these up today.  The EW 1783 is for my wife.  She loves her Evan and isn't too particular for her cocktails.  Saw a couple bottles I haven't seen lately, including HMcK BIB. The RB was the same price, so I passed on the McKenna.  

IMG_20200829_182058984.jpg

28 minutes ago, TwoFingers said:

Saw a couple bottles I haven't seen lately, including HMcK BIB. The RB was the same price, so I passed on the McKenna.  

Good choice if prices are equal.  That is either a great price on RB or a not so great price on HMK. 

10 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

Good choice if prices are equal.  That is either a great price on RB or a not so great price on HMK. 

The price was $36 and change.  Good price for RB and not a bad price for the HMK.  I haven't had good luck with the HMK, so it was not a hard decision.

• I like it 2

Lucked into a Blantons today. My local sends out email notices of when they’re going to put a case out. Most are mid-week, so I don’t go. But I happened to be driving right near the store today about 15 minutes before they put it out and remembered the email, so stopped in and picked one up. The case of 12 was all purchased or accounted for by the folks in line behind me by the time I left the store.

Edited by BigSkyDrams

On 8/20/2020 at 9:19 AM, TehRegion219 said:

I went in hoping for Weller single barrel, but came out with this instead.

~$50 Otd, First one I’ve owned let alone seen in the wild. 

7B01E973-68E7-4250-A8C1-A964FB9B4A4C.jpeg

Sure wish you could find that here in Maryland. This is in my top 2-3 of all time, and sadly, it has gone the way of that waskely wabbits who but just to sell. 

13 minutes ago, BigSkyDrams said:

Lucked into a Blantons today. My local sends out email notices of when they’re going giro put a case out. Most are mid-week, so I don’t go. But I happened to be driving right near the store today about 15 minutes before they put it out and remembered the email, so stopped in and picked one up. The case of 12 was all purchased or accounted for by the folks in line behind me by the time I left the store.

Had a similar experience two weekends ago here in Maryland. A store in Clinton, Maryland received 252 bottles  of the sweet nectar. I rushed up there after a friend informed me.....glad I made all the green lights, as soon as the owner handed me the last two bottles, there was another gentleman asking for the same thing. All 252 bottles gone in under 24 hours.....limit 2 per person. They were also kind and did not gouge us @ $70/bottle. I can occasionally find in Montgomery County Gov't stores for ~$66.

Edited by WD40
  • I like it 1

1 hour ago, TwoFingers said:

Picked these up today.  The EW 1783 is for my wife.  She loves her Evan and isn't too particular for her cocktails.  Saw a couple bottles I haven't seen lately, including HMcK BIB. The RB was the same price, so I passed on the McKenna.  

IMG_20200829_182058984.jpg

Where I am, Mckenna is usually $90 and up if you can find it; Rare Breed was available at Total Wine for $46, so I would grab the McKenna. 

I found Barrell Bourbon batch 24 today at VA ABC of all places. I can find Dovetail in a few locations near here, but this is the first time I've seen the regular bourbon releases in VA. I think NoVa gets some in small amounts, but all of the other bottles I have were purchased out of state. 

It was $90 and they had exactly one bottle in the back that took some hunting to find.

IMG_0341.JPG

• I like it 1

Started in on a family size BT.  Unfortunately having one of those bad pallette nights.

Oops, this was supposed to be in the what are you drinking thread.  Well, I did buy it...but it was last year.  So I guess this is a belated what I bought ?

Edited by Bourserker

2 hours ago, silverc said:

I found Barrell Bourbon batch 24 today at VA ABC of all places. I can find Dovetail in a few locations near here, but this is the first time I've seen the regular bourbon releases in VA. I think NoVa gets some in small amounts, but all of the other bottles I have were purchased out of state. 

It was $90 and they had exactly one bottle in the back that took some hunting to find.

IMG_0341.JPG

Dovetail is fantastic

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, BigSkyDrams said:

The case of 12 was all purchased or accounted for by the folks in line behind me by the time I left the store.

Just as an FYI, Blanton’s is packed 6 to a case...

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Just as an FYI, Blanton’s is packed 6 to a case...

The store I buy from called the amount they put out for release a “case”. Hence the reference.

EDIT: I re-checked the email, I stand corrected. Funny enough they had the cases sitting at the register so I should have been aware of that had I thought about it.

Edited by BigSkyDrams
I’m wrong.
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.