What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Loving your summer at the lake posts!

I can tell you that having this place during the pandemic has been a godsend. We are out of our house and can getaway for a time.   I am happy to share this with the group. 

unfortunately I just pulled the top off a crown so I will need to see my dentist tomorrow. 

• I like it 3

Just cracked the Old Forester Barrel Proof that I picked with my local. Holy hell this is an outstanding whiskey.

• I like it 6

So was going to watch some baseball tonight while enjoying a couple or 3 pours, but political hijinks cancelled that. Screw 'em, I'll find some other ways to spend my entertainment time.

Now on to the pour:  Weller SR 7 Year it is to get things rolling!

21 minutes ago, flahute said:

Just cracked the Old Forester Barrel Proof that I picked with my local. Holy hell this is an outstanding whiskey.

This must be the new BP PS?  How would you compare/contrast to the 1920?

I'm having WT 101 to celebrate the weekend.

Now that my son is in all day kindergarten, weekend means something - no get up early tomorrow. ??

• I like it 1

42 minutes ago, Kepler said:

This must be the new BP PS?  How would you compare/contrast to the 1920?

It is the BP PS. As of now, this is better than 1920. Need a couple more pours and a sbs to confirm but first impressions are that BP is better.

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, PaulO said:

I'm having WT 101 to celebrate the weekend.

Now that my son is in all day kindergarten, weekend means something - no get up early tomorrow. ??

Congratulations sir!

• I like it 1

On 8/26/2020 at 4:29 PM, fishnbowljoe said:

Here's my tentative line up. ?

Biba! Joe

DSC_0001.jpeg

Joe you inspired me.  I think i will climb the Weller ladder tonight. Here is what I've already poured (short pours):

WSR 7 Year paper

12 year bottled 2016

The new orange single barrel

Here's what is on deck coming up:

Full Proof

'17 WLW

(I don't have an OWA bottle open at the moment  and I still never cracked the CYPB (gotta get around to that soon)

Edited by Kepler
WLW
  • I like it 3

9 minutes ago, flahute said:

It is the BP PS. As of now, this is better than 1920. Need a couple more pours and a sbs to confirm but first impressions are that BP is better.

Thanks, very cool to hear. I'll have to be on the lookout for local picks in my neck of the woods.

Opened my first Woodinville 90 proofer the other day and found the neck pour to come across really young.  Which it is, but more than I expected. 

Had my second pour tonight, out of a different glass mind you, but found it to be a much more enjoyable experience. 

• I like it 1

Tonight,  it's been Buffalo Trace Kosher Straight Rye and Kosher Wheat Recipe.    I like the 94 proof on each of these.   

• I like it 1

I really enjoyed my Weller ladder tonight.  But for me a weekend tasting wouldn't be complete without at least some rye-based bourbon.

So I'm closing out the night with some 2009 WT Rare Breed batch 3RB 108.2 proof.  Absolutely different than all the Wellers earlier tonight, ... but that's okay.  

• I like it 4

Had a GW4G or 2ish last nite with S-I-L after a dinner of Char Siu and Chinese veggies over stir-fried Hong Kong-style noodles to celebrate their new house acquisition in Lexington, MA (18 minutes from us instead of 3+ hours in Brooklyn).  They wanted to get out of that hell-hole so badly that they spent a month on Block Island, 2 weeks on Martha's Vineyard (just ended) with various weekend trips to house-hunt up here this summer.  When they actually close on the house, I'll break out the WLW 140.2pf and my last bottle of 1982 Ch. Mouton Rothschild bordeaux for more Wagyu beef sirloin strips to really celebrate.   ?

We have daughter #2, hubby and the grandbabies with us this weekend and the house is filled with the sounds of happy/momentarily sad children.  SWMBO is in 7th Heaven and all is a little more right with the world today.   Daughter #1 is coming over with her kids later this morning and pandamonium will reign supreme for the rest of the day.  Ain't life GREAT?   ?

• I like it 8

12 hours ago, JCwhammie said:

I had heard this pick was good, so I picked this up yesterday for $40 OTD. There were 2 bottles, and I grabbed 1. Upon opening it last night I immediately knew I made a mistake by not grabbing both. I wouldn't have thought a 5 year bourbon would be in the middle of my wheelhouse, and I was wrong. It's good to see MGP with another run of fantastic bourbon. 

This bottle will probably be in the recycling bin relatively soon. 

I was equally impressed by my bottle of PS SAOS from K&L.  Great barrel proof 5yr MGP bourbon for under $50.  Wish I'd bought a couple of backups as the word is out and it's sold out.  ?

10 hours ago, flahute said:

I am very much looking forward to the one we picked. Think we were about 6 weeks after you.  The price is less exciting though. . . 

50 minutes ago, Bob_Loblaw said:

I am very much looking forward to the one we picked. Think we were about 6 weeks after you.  The price is less exciting though. . . 

Yeah, the price is a bummer though not a surprise.

10 hours ago, Kepler said:

Joe you inspired me.  I think i will climb the Weller ladder tonight. Here is what I've already poured (short pours):

WSR 7 Year paper

12 year bottled 2016

The new orange single barrel

Here's what is on deck coming up:

Full Proof

'17 WLW

(I don't have an OWA bottle open at the moment  and I still never cracked the CYPB (gotta get around to that soon)

Very Nice Kepler. Very nice. You have my utmost respect and admiration.  ?

There are folks here that fancy WT, and are members of “The Flock”.  Others love FR’s, and belong to “The  Cult”. Kepler sir, consider yourself a charter member of “The Weller Whorde”. ?  Congratulations, well done. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 3

The good news is that it's missing the engineered somewhat saccharinesque overlay I find in OF 1910 and WRDO-- the bad news, to quote “Roadhouse”-- I thought it'd be bigger. I proofed it up to around 50% with some ECBPA117 and everything fell into place. I think four appearances of TOASTED BARREL on the PDP is a bit silly.

IMG_5012.thumb.jpg.8b2f407a432728d5854394c21daa310f.jpg

• I like it 1

Watched the Qualifying run for the Belgian Grand Prix this morning. Watching Daytona now.  Will watch the F1 race tomorrow morning had a bit of blade and bow tonight. 

4B2C0694-5042-4E60-A691-6A1A7B3CF869.jpeg

• I like it 2

Back from dinner out, and this 4R 2014 SiB LE is killing it.  Great spicy finish, but the nose is such a beautiful, full-on, dried flowers potpourri.  Just great.  

27A00D2E-C325-4689-B104-CF896C63E5A5.jpeg

• I like it 4

14 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

In the mood. Gave it a go and today it's spot on. Tomorrow?

IMG_1630.thumb.jpg.94f16c891d40260781f10334b80d99fc.jpg

Dickel 12 is my “palate resetter” whiskey.  When I get to the point that bourbons just start to all taste alike and really do nothing for me, I pick up a bottle of it.  It’s gone within days, as I do enjoy its uniqueness.  After that, I’m good to go.  

• I like it 1

20 minutes ago, FacePlant said:

In the mood. Gave it a go and today it's spot on. Tomorrow?

IMG_1630.thumb.jpg.94f16c891d40260781f10334b80d99fc.jpg

I dig the happy face cutter. ER in the glass tonight. 

Edited by Bob_Loblaw

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.