What Bourbon Are You Drinking Today (Summer 2020)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Sampling my 2 week old mini barrel aging project.

Got the barrel as a gift about 2 years ago and finally decided to give it a go.

Multiple sources recommend breaking it in initially with something you are willing to drain pour, so I got some 80p 3y Heaven Hill (I believe) KSBW for the first run.

First let me say that the control sample is actually not bad.  I’ve had way worse bourbon.

The aged liquid is noticeably less harsh than the original, and has a much more noticeable presence of wood.

Its perfectly drinkable, but for lack of a better term, it’s not good wood.

Let the inappropriate jokes fly... ?

Plan is to eventually do some barrel aged  Manhattans, since @Bob_Loblaw keeps enticing me with his creations.

E64C8095-8E99-462B-96E5-169C0903CFB8.jpeg

• I like it 2

I’m having an old reliable pour(s) after getting home from work today. EW BIB. To quote a saying from the  bowling team Vosgar and I once bowled with, “Same as it ever was.”  ;) 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

Moved onto this... tastes a lot like Elmer T Lee to me, with a familiar mustiness.

It is good, but I think I prefer Weller Special Reserve.

This doesn’t quite scratch the BT wheater itch if you will...

2CC3A310-07C8-4BB0-ADFF-665728853426.jpeg

• I like it 3

Unexpected night off from soccer, A little OF 100 followed by a little WTRB followed  by more OF100.  A little +a little + a little = a lot.  Back to work tomorrow. Taking a "Paint-cation."  Off work, painting, then soccer.

A couple pours from the last few days.

F6567D83-0650-4E32-A5C1-3F8B7A44D11C.jpeg

2C979A9B-514E-4280-AF63-0E57B725C035.jpeg

Edited by marshall9779
  • I like it 1

After doing a BIB night recently I decided to do a BT 90 proof night while watching Hamilton (again).  Started by finishing off an ETL, then a pour of a PS of BT and finished up with ER.

Finally was able to find and dip into the JB DC.  I agree with the widespread positive sentiment here.  For a sub $20 OTD bottle, it’s a great QPR.  @fosmith refers to it as a “baby Baker’s”, and I agree wholeheartedly.  

C80305F6-3FE8-4611-B705-8FD00BAE6C6E.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 9/1/2020 at 3:16 PM, 0895 said:

Sampling my 2 week old mini barrel aging project.

Got the barrel as a gift about 2 years ago and finally decided to give it a go.

Multiple sources recommend breaking it in initially with something you are willing to drain pour, so I got some 80p 3y Heaven Hill (I believe) KSBW for the first run.

First let me say that the control sample is actually not bad.  I’ve had way worse bourbon.

The aged liquid is noticeably less harsh than the original, and has a much more noticeable presence of wood.

Its perfectly drinkable, but for lack of a better term, it’s not good wood.

Let the inappropriate jokes fly... ?

Plan is to eventually do some barrel aged  Manhattans, since @Bob_Loblaw keeps enticing me with his creations.

E64C8095-8E99-462B-96E5-169C0903CFB8.jpeg

Wouldn't know good wood from bad wood.  My wife is the expert on good wood.;):P:D

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, CardsandBourbon said:

My wife is the expert on good wood.;):P:D

Nope. Not gonna do it. ?

Biba! Joe

• I like it 4

Some tasty Baker’s tonight after a unexplainably annoying day at work.

?

Still using my new favorite glass (newly enjoying a glass that’s been here a few years).  Everything tastes great from this glass, so I’ve temporarily sidelined my glens.

394ABD27-2E59-4A89-9D68-DAEFA22601D4.jpeg

• I like it 2

2 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

Nope. Not gonna do it. ?

Biba! Joe

Chicken?:D

I'm having VOB 100.  What else do you say about a great value pour.  I need to go across town to get a couple for the bunker.  I don't need no silly precious unicorn tears nonsense. ??

Kicking off the Labor Day holiday weekend early, with a Bourbon Spritzer. LB3 with Ginger Ale. Always works for me.

Have a fun & safe holiday. 

Cheers

First time to have Rare Breed and it is so good.   Really loving all things Wild Turkey these days.  Need to try some RRSB soon.  

Edited by BlueMonk
  • I like it 2

Enjoying a couple of small pours before bedtime.  I was in the mood for some gentle sipping of Wild Turkey, so I poured myself some MK17 bib and some of the Decades.

• I like it 4

Starting off a long weekend with some Paddleford Creek Bourbon Cream in my coffee. I put this a distant 3rd place behind BTBC and EBBC.  It's almost white.

20200904_091437.jpg

20200904_091353.jpg

3 hours ago, Clueby said:

Starting off a long weekend with some Paddleford Creek Bourbon Cream in my coffee. I put this a distant 3rd place behind BTBC and EBBC.  It's almost white.

20200904_091437.jpg

20200904_091353.jpg

Off question, how long do these keep? Do you store in the fridge?

59 minutes ago, Cigars&Bourbon said:

Off question, how long do these keep? Do you store in the fridge?

I think the bt cream is 6-9 months refrigerated, that is what they said on my tour a couple weeks ago.

• I like it 1

Opened a new weller 107 today and also opened a blantons 375 that is way more sweet and mellow than the last blantons 750 i had.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, Sgtspitter101 said:

I think the bt cream is 6-9 months refrigerated, that is what they said on my tour a couple weeks ago.

I keep in the fridge after opening. They never last long enough to find out how long they should last 

• I like it 3

Having a celebratory pour with a buddy that just got a job offer in California. Helluva way to celebrate. 

20200904_165941.jpg

• I like it 5

39 minutes ago, JCwhammie said:

Having a celebratory pour with a buddy that just got a job offer in California. Helluva way to celebrate. 

20200904_165941.jpg

Nice! When did TW get a WFP PS?

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.