What’s on the menu????

fishnbowljoe

16 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

You guys are making me look like I’m slumming it. Fried chicken and a cob salad for supper this evening. Tomorrow will be another story though. 😋

Biba! Joe

Not a thing wrong with that; especially if you are good at frying chicken!

It's the one thing that I am totally inept at, in the kitchen; Consistently...

7 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Not a thing wrong with that; especially if you are good at frying chicken!

It's the one thing that I am totally inept at, in the kitchen; Consistently...

She picked up the already cooked chicken and salad at the grocery store so she could start getting things ready for today. Ham, mashed  potatoes, etc on the menu today for Easter dinner at my son and dil’s house. Soon. 😋

• I like it 1

image.thumb.png.55f5372a6e853b36369087ec10f5bb83.png

Awesome weather in the UK today. I had some racks of lamb that I was going to roast in the oven then decided this morning it would be rude not to grill them. 

I marinated them in minced garlic and rosemary, added salt and pepper before roasting on a 250c grill for 20 mins, cut them open then seared for a couple of minutes each side to add some extra flavour, then squeezed some fresh lime over to add some well needed acidity.  

The potatoes were boiled but I finished those by smoking them on the grill, the smoke generated from the lime and chilli butter falling off the corn onto the hot coals, with some charred asparagus to finish. 

All washed down with ice cold Bitburger with a coffee and Tapatio Excellencia Extra Anejo tequila to finish. 

Happy Easter all!

• I like it 7

Roasted bison tenderloin.  On my brother's recommendation.  Really hope this works out as it was a 5.6 slab of meat.  Seasoned with butter, garlic, lemon zest, thyme, rosemary, salt and pepper.  Had to cut it in half to fit the pan so will grill the thinner end in a couple of days and see how that comes out.

IMG_7041.thumb.jpg.ac5391b270f90405ebc581628a23e222.jpgIMG_7042.thumb.jpg.b3616e4ebb0c1f8bf1c8039fe4542290.jpg

• I like it 6

Easter dinner.  Prime rib, Yorkshire pudding, Brussels sprouts. Happy Easter everyone!

6B18407F-9F56-423E-A6EE-8BC5F11DCFE9.thumb.jpeg.458a254f6e6e6edbb3a902bf19c1bc93.jpeg6EC090A5-F8FE-419E-865B-E3DCC8B99B85.thumb.jpeg.77782369643e06a09a229ce3f6cd0110.jpeg9C286409-9E9E-4D2D-9747-BAE353E1A6BE.thumb.jpeg.d17ab7358f8955e0e582455b57095525.jpeg

• I like it 7

We had my wife's mom and brother over for Easter.  I made charro beans from scratch.  I also served coleslaw.  Main course was sirloin roast with small potatoes and carrots.  Dessert was peach pie with whipped cream.  I think it was a hit.  I sent some nice leftovers and Easter candy home with mil too.   

• I like it 4

My wife and I went to our son and dil’s house for Easter dinner. While the ladies were in the kitchen getting things ready, my son shared a couple different beers from Leinenkugel with me.

Easter dinner, OMG! Turkey and dressing, ham, mashed potatoes and gravy, green bean casserole, homemade crescent rolls, veggie tray w/pickles, and my wife’s wonderful mini chocolate cheese cakes for desert. 😋

We brought Easter baskets for the grandkids, and they had ones for us. 😁 After dinner, I settled in on the couch. Their golden retriever, Harper, and one of their cats, Simon, settled in next to me. 🥰 It was a truly great afternoon. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 7

It’s been cool and rainy here over the last few days. The type of weather that calls for some chili. The grandkids came over yesterday, so I made a batch of my chili. My grandson surprised me a little. He wanted to help me in the kitchen, so I let him. 😁 Fun times. Good chili. Great day. 😎

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, fishnbowljoe said:

It’s been cool and rainy here over the last few days. The type of weather that calls for some chili. The grandkids came over yesterday, so I made a batch of my chili. My grandson surprised me a little. He wanted to help me in the kitchen, so I let him. 😁 Fun times. Good chili. Great day. 😎

Biba! Joe

That is so cool Joe. Amy is my sous chef but I can't wait until Tyson is by my side.

Prost!!  Phil 

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

Decided to make some corned beef from a brisket flat. Brined for 8 days, simmered in the oven at 300f (150c in real money) for 3hrs 15ms. Turned out ridiculously good. Very tender and breaks apart in your fingers. 

14_06_01.thumb.jpeg.dadc7f31d943d748756d13b515e69857.jpeg

• I like it 8

• 2 weeks later...

Yesterday was simply beautiful!!!

That type of day paired with this time of year, gets you a crawfish boil!!!

20210501_151819.thumb.jpg.8ab4501e909ccad85ef75a33b1f3c620.jpg

Goodies included with crawfish; peanuts, mushrooms, potatoes, conecuh sausage, little smokies, garlic, onions & corn.

The little beauty glistening in the sun; a freezer pour of OWA!!!

20210501_151954.jpg.85284cab9f3ba57a7df41c28b34da227.jpg

• I like it 7

• 2 weeks later...

Just a simple salad for supper after a couple of end of week pours...

20210514_175251.thumb.jpg.40ddbe4609ddacb260c34b2073c8070c.jpg

It does however, contain various lettuce & spinach, pickled asparagus, pickled quail eggs, grilled scamp & sweet pepper...

Happy Friday, All!!!

• I like it 3

• 3 weeks later...

Happy Memorial Day to the women and men who gave the ultimate sacrifice for our great country. We will never forget. 

Cooking up some sausage gravy and biscuits with Benton's country bacon on the flattop before we head to the cemetery. 

Prost!!  Phil 

16224694567912337883864200752867.jpg

16224695828665936086332571235786.jpg

• I like it 4

My son and I went to the Cubs game today. Ballpark food was in order. I had a hot dog and a pretzel with cheese sauce. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 5

On 6/4/2021 at 9:05 PM, Skinsfan1311 said:

Crabs!!

20210604_164931.jpg

Flashback!!!

When I saw crabs & Old Bay, I immediately thought "Maryland"; spent a year at Ft Meade. Looked at your location and thought, it figures.

Ya'll steam, we boil. I hate to live on the difference. Either = Excellent... 👍

• I like it 1

54 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

Flashback!!!

When I saw crabs & Old Bay, I immediately thought "Maryland"; spent a year at Ft Meade. Looked at your location and thought, it figures.

Ya'll steam, we boil. I hate to live on the difference. Either = Excellent... 👍

A lot of folks up here steam shrimp too.   I've never understood why.

Boiling shrimp is the way to go. 

I've never had boiled crabs. My Maryland-born and bred wife would never allow that😎

• I like it 2

16 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

A lot of folks up here steam shrimp too.   I've never understood why.

Boiling shrimp is the way to go. 

I've never had boiled crabs. My Maryland-born and bred wife would never allow that😎

After years of eating, I have developed some do's and don'ts - mostly, if locals are eating something fixed one way, it probably tastes best fixed that way.  Hence, I eat dungeness crab on the West Coast boiled, but I eat blue crab on the East Coast (and Gulf Coast) steamed.  Shrimp gets boiled as trial and error has taught me I can drink beer and boil shrimp but NOT drink beer and steam shrimp without messing them up.

Did beer-battered Pacific cod on the grill last night - 1/4 inch of peanut oil in an iron skillet (BUT WATCH OUT FOR THE OIL TEMP AS IRON DOES NOT COOL DOWN IF YOU OVERSHOOT!!).  Let the oil temp CREEP up to 350; you can even cheat by starting the fillets at 325 OR add some COLD oil if you start going over 350.  About 3-4 minutes a side.  Careful not to splash oil onto the coals as it LIKES to burst into flame and spread soot everywhere.  No pics - didn't think about it until we were lolling in our LazYBoys with brandy cocktails for dessert.  Tonight is Huli Huli chicken on the grill.  No oil, so I be sipping bourbon instead of making sure I don't splash.

• I like it 3

Tonight was huli huli chicken - chicken halves cooked with lid closed over charcoal with mesquite wood chips then slathered with a reduced ginger-soy sauce syrup.  Recipe is from page 90, America's Test Kitchen All-Time Best Grilling Recipes, 20 Anniversary edition (2012).  Cook time on the grill  is about 40 minutes (20 per side).  4R YL got me through the cook, and OGD BIB followed a dessert of blueberry crumble with vanilla/marshmallow/blueberry ice cream.  Happy hour appetizers were Ritz crackers w/pimento cheese and a cocktail of 2 oz. Malibu rum (about 20% ABV), 1/4 oz. blue Curacao (about 20% ABV), 2 OZ. pineapple juice, ice. 

Pics of the food follow.  No pics of the bourbon - we KNOW what it looks like.

IMG_1170.JPG

IMG_1171.JPG

IMG_1172.JPG

• I like it 2