Worst thing in your bunker

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Worst thing in my bunker I finally polished off this week.   Garrison Brothers,  the first bottle I've tried of their stuff.   It's not bad,  it's not "too young",  I appreciate that it's well crafted,  but it's just not to my taste.  Some sort of dark coffee-roast caste to it that is probably delicious to some,   but was slow going for me.   

It occupied the "craft-experimental" slot on my bar's Open Dozen,   and was replaced by a Laws Whiskey House 6-year bottled in bond.     This is a four grain bourbon that seems to me to taste like a Canadian imitation of bourbon (Remember the Crown Royal Blender's Mash?) 

• 3 weeks later...

pulled an AAA 10 "star" from the bunker. Hope I can get through this one. My OCD has me generally drinking my least favored bottles, which improves the quality of the bunker. This choice certainly fits that bill.

5 hours ago, steven s said:

pulled an AAA 10 "star" from the bunker. Hope I can get through this one. My OCD has me generally drinking my least favored bottles, which improves the quality of the bunker. This choice certainly fits that bill.

Makes a great mixer!

It’s been a year almost. Sometimes I fear  I might keep posting this until the end of time. There is no end to this stuff. 

F1999EFB-75CF-41A9-9109-C71CB98177CC.jpeg

29 minutes ago, Kane said:

It’s been a year almost. Sometimes I fear  I might keep posting this until the end of time. There is no end to this stuff. 

F1999EFB-75CF-41A9-9109-C71CB98177CC.jpeg

just dump it.

life’s too short to drink anything you dislike.

• I like it 4

2 hours ago, 0895 said:

just dump it.

Agreed!

• I like it 1

On 5/2/2021 at 9:22 PM, steven s said:

Thinning the herd!

@The Black Tot would be proud!

• I like it 1

10 hours ago, Kane said:

There is no end to this stuff. 

Oh, there is an end.  It says so right on the label.  

• I like it 6

On 5/2/2021 at 11:22 PM, steven s said:

I don't mind AAA 10S...I think its kind of a "baby Blanton's" with a little harsh edge to it.  Makes a good mixer or on the rocks.  As long as you go in with your expectations set to the appropriate level (even more so based on the price) I think its plenty drinkable.

19 hours ago, Kane said:

I actually have an unopened bottle of this from their first batch. I bought two way back when. One was shared in Bardstown with folks here at one of our get togethers years ago. 🤔

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, Clueby said:

I don't mind AAA 10S...I think its kind of a "baby Blanton's" with a little harsh edge to it.  Makes a good mixer or on the rocks.  As long as you go in with your expectations set to the appropriate level (even more so based on the price) I think its plenty drinkable.

That's exactly right.  When I try to compare it to old AAA 10 year - nope.  But when I think of it as something for my brother in law's bourbon and coke, yea.  I like it better than many other low end, but that's where it is now, low end.

BTW, off topic, AAA 10 year was favored drink of alcoholics for a reason, cheap and very good.

On 5/3/2021 at 10:09 PM, 0895 said:

just dump it.

This bottle served a purpose in the olden days where I could have friends over for intro tastings. It drives home the message that whisky isn’t vodka. I shouldn’t have fallen into the trap of drinking it myself :)

Edited by Kane
  • I like it 4

I have a couple bottles of new make tucked away for this very purpose too, Kane. 

Finished off the first bottle making White Russians. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.