Worst thing in your bunker

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

No, I assumed that it was more a reference to the distinctive  smell of freshly mown Bermuda grass.  I was just being a smarta!! with you.   While the grassy note is okay with some spirits like Chacaca, I find it off putting in Bourbon.

3 hours ago, StarSurfer55 said:

No, I assumed that it was more a reference to the distinctive  smell of freshly mown Bermuda grass.  I was just being a smarta!! with you.   While the grassy note is okay with some spirits like Chacaca, I find it off putting in Bourbon.

Have you any dogs? If so, have you ever smelled a dog treat called a "Greenie"? The odor of those things is probably as close a you'll come to what I detect in the whiskey. Whether or not that's a good thing ...

9 minutes ago, jbutler said:

Have you any dogs? If so, have you ever smelled a dog treat called a "Greenie"? The odor of those things is probably as close a you'll come to what I detect in the whiskey. Whether or not that's a good thing ...

It’s good for your teeth, then! 😁

• I like it 3

18 hours ago, jbutler said:

Yes,  i have some the green dental chews for my dog.  I bought the Kirkland version from Costco and even the dog is not wild about them.  Thanks for the tasting note and apologies for the ball busting earlier.

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

It’s good for your teeth, then! 😁

You bet it is, Joe! Here's a lollipop! 🍭

I love this question!!!  Worst thing in my bunker is Arcola Whiskey from Wyoming, 80 proof.  I wish it was better because the people are surely fantastic people, but when they wrote "distinctive notes of warm caramel, peach, vanilla and grain" they were taking some fantastic liberties.  I get notes of shower farts and expired leftovers.  It is awful, I wish I could dump this far away from me to not smell any part of it as it goes away.  The taste is not much better, though for a whiskey drinker who likes drinking Jack Daniels neat, this might fit your wheelhouse.

• I like it 2

I have a NEW, NEW worst ever.  So the kid is over to the house and says, "we should make our own with a still" I said, have you ever seen that TV show that highlights Moonshiners?  I said that stuff is damn raw and not really aged.  I would rather have a company that has been in business a long time making quality spirits produce what I drink. 

Note: I was a homebrewer for beer and got sick of waiting the few weeks before I drank the stuff.  I sure don't have years for it to age.

Then, I REMEMBERED THAT I HAVE A BOTTLE OF SHINE IN THE FREEZER.  It was from a guy who knew that I liked the juice and he gifted it to me to try. 

I poured a little of that in two Glencarins.  One for my son, one for me.  Looked at the color - damn pale.  On the nose it was ethanol, and it was just nasty stuff. 

No more dreams of a home still, life is too short for shitty Bourbon. 

• I like it 5

My coworker told me he picked up a bottle of Woodinville because it was on sale. I mentioned that I’ve been meaning to try it but always end up buying something else, so I’ve never had it.

He was kind enough to bring me a sample a few days later, and I tried it last night after having a pour of OGDBiB.

The nose was super strange... almost like rubber. I took a sip & was immediately confused. It tasted like bad scotch. Like literally nothing going on with it resembled any bourbon on Earth. It was bizarre. I even had my wife try it just to make sure I wasn’t crazy. She said it was way off & reminded her of cheap blended Scotch like Dewar’s.

I asked him if he mixed up the sample, or perhaps used a container which had previously been used to store scotch & wasn’t thoroughly cleaned. He said he had no idea why it was like that, and that he wasn’t experiencing the same things.

I think it’s gotta be mixing with leftover scotch funk in that container. And so, I still have no idea if Woodinville is worth trying... but what’s left in that sample bottle is hands down the worst thing in my stash.

Edited by k-train

I wouldn’t use the term worst, rather “oddest”, Mellow Corn. I bought 2 bottles after reading some positive reviews. It has an oiliness to the body that is unique. Wasn’t bad just not my cup of tea. I killed off the other bottle making hot toddy’s. Any recommendations for cocktails that Mellow Corn would work in? 

Mellow Corn is a cult classic straight outta the 40s.  Use it for a unique twist on the Bloody Mary.  

• I like it 2

1 hour ago, RT Fan said:

I wouldn’t use the term worst, rather “oddest”, Mellow Corn. I bought 2 bottles after reading some positive reviews. It has an oiliness to the body that is unique. Wasn’t bad just not my cup of tea. I killed off the other bottle making hot toddy’s. Any recommendations for cocktails that Mellow Corn would work in? 

1 hour ago, Guss West said:

Mellow Corn is a cult classic straight outta the 40s.  Use it for a unique twist on the Bloody Mary.  

^^^Yes!!!  Great rec.  Also, drop a couple pieces of crispy bacon (don’t blot off the grease!) in there, too!  Such a tasty Bloody Mary...

• I like it 3

1 hour ago, Guss West said:

Absolutely! Several on here use it regularly in a bloody. And as Joe said, always a couple pieces of bacon! Don't forget to dust the rim with celery salt!!

MC is tasty out of the fridge in the summer!

Edited by Phil T
  • I like it 1

On 11/10/2020 at 9:10 PM, flahute said:

Preach!

Oh, come on now, we all know you’re really a closet Dickel whore! 😉

Sorry, I couldn’t resist! 😂

• I like it 1

Rectified!!! 🙀

After multiple attempts drinking and even a couple cooking sessions, The Smooth Ambler Big Level moved from my shelf to the sink!!!

My bunker is a pretty meek one so, it's all good now...

• I like it 3

I probably have some other bottle buried in a box or tucked in the back of a shelf or cabinet somewhere that I’m forgetting about that may be worse, but this is the worst thing that I can think of that I currently have in my bunker. It’s not opened because I also had a smaller bottle that I managed to choke down most of before I finally poured the remainder down the drain. I don’t know why I don’t just go ahead and dump it, but I keep hoping that maybe I’ll find a use for it someday. 

13F2D5EC-F8BB-4134-BC38-7D1924B74C37.jpeg

By far, my worst bottle is a now several year old Five Father's Rye. 

I wanted to give a new distillery a chance (Pogue) and have regretted this purchase ever since.  

Most of the time I can find something good in every bottle I go through.  If nothing else a learning experience for my palate and mind. 

This one is quite simply a young, green and grainy hot mess.  

Not a bourbon or American but i bought a bottle of powers irish and couldnt finish the first glass. Im sure its not bad but it just isnt my preference. It will be gifted soon.

Cleveland whiskey......I like supporting local businesses and when this came out many years ago I rushed out and bought a whole case....I'm still working on the first bottle.

20 hours ago, ThirstyinOhio said:

Cleveland whiskey......I like supporting local businesses and when this came out many years ago I rushed out and bought a whole case....I'm still working on the first bottle.

Maybe you'd be better off if they would sneak away in the middle of the night headed for DC !!!

Sorry I couldn't resist...

• I like it 1

Maybe you'd be better off pouring that stuff into your vehicle's windshield washer reservoir for winter.

• I like it 6

13 hours ago, PaulO said:

Maybe you'd be better off pouring that stuff into your vehicle's windshield washer reservoir for winter.

I dunno.  Cleveland hasn’t exactly had the best history with putting potentially flammable substances into a body of water........ 😬

• I like it 3

2 hours ago, parksmart said:

I dunno.  Cleveland hasn’t exactly had the best history with putting potentially flammable substances into a body of water........ 😬

Heehee!!  That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in quite a while!  😂😂😂

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Heehee!!  That’s the funniest thing I’ve heard in quite a while!  😂😂😂

My wife has relatives who grew up and lived their lives in Cleveland.  Every family reunion/wedding/funeral there ALWAYS included jokes about the Cuyahoga River fire and how we all contributed to it with our excessive consumption and elimination.  HEY!! JAY!!  How you doing???

EDIT - On a serious note, it was my wife's Uncle Joe who introduced me to 2:1 OO Rye BIB: Dolens Red w/Angostura on the rocks Manhattans.  He perfected this recipe as a fighter pilot in Northern France during WW II.  When he heard that Old Overholt was stopping its production of the bonded, he bought multiple cases.  Took me YEARS to get that secret out of him.

Edited by Harry in WashDC
  • I like it 3

2 hours ago, Harry in WashDC said:

EDIT - On a serious note, it was my wife's Uncle Joe who introduced me to 2:1 OO Rye BIB: Dolens Red w/Angostura on the rocks Manhattans.  He perfected this recipe as a fighter pilot in Northern France during WW II.  When he heard that Old Overholt was stopping its production of the bonded, he bought multiple cases.  Took me YEARS to get that secret out of him.

OK..........that's amazing.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.