Worst thing in your bunker

StarSurfer55
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Ive got a 375 of TX Whiskey gifted to me for Christmas as part of an Old Fashioned Cocktail making set, but I am pretty sure it will be re-gifted next Christmas.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/12/2021 at 9:48 AM, RT Fan said:

I wouldn’t use the term worst, rather “oddest”, Mellow Corn. I bought 2 bottles after reading some positive reviews. It has an oiliness to the body that is unique. Wasn’t bad just not my cup of tea. I killed off the other bottle making hot toddy’s. Any recommendations for cocktails that Mellow Corn would work in? 

I may be in the minority here, but I love MC.  My bourbon buddies laugh at me about it, but I really do enjoy it.   There are times when I crave the oily, corn-flavored profile, and it really hits the spot.    It's a staple in our freezer.

• I like it 1

On 1/12/2021 at 11:53 AM, Phil T said:

Absolutely! Several on here use it regularly in a bloody. And as Joe said, always a couple pieces of bacon! Don't forget to dust the rim with celery salt!!

MC is tasty out of the fridge in the summer!

It's pretty tasty out of the freezer too!

• 2 weeks later...

Worst--by far no contest. Bird Dog Blackberry Flavored Whiskey

Given to me as gift. 

Followed by Kirklands 7yr Bourbon, hate it. 

Non Bourbon -- Crown Roya Apple, gift also to be saved for the mixers in my life.

10 hours ago, Cajuin said:

Non Bourbon -- Crown Roya Apple, gift also to be saved for the mixers in my life.

I have to double down with you here...

I was gifted one at the same time of tasting from another. It was presented to me as "man, have you tried this"?

It was unceremoniously re-gifted... 😖

• I like it 1

Worst that I have is Makers Mark 46.  I tried to like it, wanted to enjoy it, but it just does nothing for me.  It's what I get out when friends come over.  It's nearly gone, and i won't buy another one.  

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Mule Skinner said:

Worst that I have is Makers Mark 46.  I tried to like it, wanted to enjoy it, but it just does nothing for me.  It's what I get out when friends come over.  It's nearly gone, and i won't buy another one.  

Whether it's your cup of tea or not, if that's your worst; Your Bunker Is Friggin' Awesome!!!

• I like it 1

Right now my worst is the new release of McKenzie bottled in bond wheated bourbon.  The 2018/19 release of this was awesome and has been unavailable for some time so I was excited when this new batch came out and bought two bottles.  Wow!  What a disappointment.  This bears no resemblance to the last release.  The nose is grainy and musty.  The palate is bitter and astringent.  The finish is, unfortunately, way to long.  This is one you hope would end quickly.  I don't know what happened here but this is seriously flawed. 

21 hours ago, Mule Skinner said:

When it was new, I ran out and bought one.  It reminded me of vanilla extract. 🥴

Several years passed.  I tried it again.  This time, it seemed much closer to standard MM.  It's still not really my thing.

4 hours ago, fosmith said:

Right now my worst is the new release of McKenzie bottled in bond wheated bourbon.  The 2018/19 release of this was awesome and has been unavailable for some time so I was excited when this new batch came out and bought two bottles.  Wow!  What a disappointment.  This bears no resemblance to the last release.  The nose is grainy and musty.  The palate is bitter and astringent.  The finish is, unfortunately, way to long.  This is one you hope would end quickly.  I don't know what happened here but this is seriously flawed. 

DAMMIT!!! I bought multiples of this, based on the glowing reviews of the last release. Ah well, #whiskeylife.

Looks like I'll be drinking my worst for a while longer. Womp womp.

17 hours ago, The Black Tot said:

^I was able to get my order transformed into something else. 

@fosmith, that's a pour I owe you! Your post saved the day.

Glad my post helped you out.  I sent a note the the spirits buyer at K&L and they are refunding my money.  What a great outfit they are...

• I like it 5

On 2/17/2021 at 10:13 AM, fosmith said:

That's too bad! The last batch was amazing, still have one left in the closet. Wonder what happened? I have a few bottles of the new one on order, but am going to go ahead and cancel that.

On 2/16/2021 at 1:05 PM, Mule Skinner said:

I’ve had only one bottle of this. It tasted like grass clippings to me.

On 2/16/2021 at 5:32 PM, bayouredd said:

Whether it's your cup of tea or not, if that's your worst; Your Bunker Is Friggin' Awesome!!!

I'll take that!  It's a bit limited compared to some around here.  

• I like it 1

Bought a new label EWBIB because of the discussion about it. It's now the worst thing in my bunker. I know that a lot of you love this one and I don't doubt your palates. I'm just weird in that HH distillate at 4 years tastes like wet cardboard to me. I get it in all the variants. It's why I lamented the loss of HH6BIB so much. That one rocked.

• I like it 5

I actually prefer EW black to EW BIB for similar reasons.  Buy some fizzy lifting drinks!  

The JTS BIB is the only younger HH I like neat.  The VB at 7 years and EC at 10+ are much more to my liking.  

TGIF, y'all! 

19 hours ago, flahute said:

Bought a new label EWBIB because of the discussion about it. It's now the worst thing in my bunker.

I just picked it up 'cause it was $3 for 375.  At the price point, I liked it okay.  Reminded me of pecan extract infused in hospital grade alcohol.  Not that I mind such a blend.  I'll keep it ready to hand when brother-in-law visits.

• I like it 2

As long as I can buy WT101 for $18.99 per fifth, I don't see me buying a whole lot of EWBiB at $12.99.  Can't think of a better way to spend 6 bucks.

Exception could be for the extremely occasional thing like Christmas eggnog (EW black or BiB make an excellent eggnog) ... or when I'm specifically wanting a young HH bourbon to use with another older HH in my own home vatting blend.  For that EWBiB is perfect.  

18 hours ago, B.B. Babington said:

Reminded me of pecan extract infused in hospital grade alcohol.  

That sounds so..............wonderful?

On 2/18/2021 at 11:12 PM, flahute said:

Bought a new label EWBIB because of the discussion about it. It's now the worst thing in my bunker. I know that a lot of you love this one and I don't doubt your palates. I'm just weird in that HH distillate at 4 years tastes like wet cardboard to me. I get it in all the variants. It's why I lamented the loss of HH6BIB so much. That one rocked.

EWBIB gets consumed at my house quite a bit, but as my standard mixing bourbon, not a neat pour. They raised the price here recently but at the new higher $25 price for a handle, it works when I want to drink bourbon & ginger ale. 

2 hours ago, BottledInBond said:

EWBIB gets consumed at my house quite a bit, but as my standard mixing bourbon, not a neat pour. They raised the price here recently but at the new higher $25 price for a handle, it works when I want to drink bourbon & ginger ale. 

Yeah, it's now at the bar and will be consumed in cocktails going forward.

I don't have a bunker, I just have a cupboard that gets full way too quickly. When something goes, I replace it... maybe with the same thing, probably with something different.

As far as bourbon goes, the current inventory is:

ECBP B520
ECBP A121
RRSIB PS
RR10
WTKS (fantail) 
WTRB
WT101
OGD BIB x2
OGD114
MM101
OF 1910
1792 SmB
BT

In my opinion, the worst thing in that group is easily the Buffalo Trace.

• I like it 5

• 3 weeks later...

I have to echo @k-train as I have a small cabinet where my bourbon shares space with my barbecue spices and rubs. My cabinet has:

Blantons Original

Bookers Pigskin

OF 1920

McKenna BIB

OGD 114

Elijah Craig Single Barrel store pick

RR SB

I also have a liquor table with my cocktail making stuff and some other liquor. The bourbon I have on this table is Jim Beam white label (handle). 

Worst of this is Beam white although I like it. I just like the others better. 

• I like it 1

• 5 weeks later...

Not sure of which is worse, the JD (no offence to JD fans) or the PX.  Mixed with the Maraska maraschino, both will definitely not go to waste.  The JD is ok and I will drink neat.  The PX is better in the cocktail but not so neat.  So many choices to make, so many combinations to try.  The best in the picture is the Maraska.  These are just the relative worst, I love the rest of my bunker.

0410211621b.jpg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.