What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Couple of LLS with good selections, but high prices:

THH - $599.99

ETL - $249.99

W12 - $149.99

Booker’s - $89.99

ECBP - $79.99

WSR - $79.99

Wasn't really looking for anything today.  However, I always stop by the liquor department in local grocery stores with larger diverse selections.  I noticed a new style bottle for KC 9 year.  I just saw several new cases at another store with the older style bottle.  I assume the newer bottle which looks cool just came out.  It looks to have a curvy side to allow for a better grip.  The photo below if from their website.  It doesn't show it clearly but I recall the bottle had curves at both the top and bottom.

KC_Straight_9YR_1869_HERO_SITE_SHADOW_0.png

• I like it 1

Passed on JB SiB at 108 proof and less than 30 bucks. No barrel info on the label influenced my decision to pass but I’m intrigued. A quick google search afterwards didn’t reveal an age range. Any feedback on these would be appreciated. 

I’m sure a few folks will be like “dang, I would’ve gotten at least one at that price”.  Passed b/c I’m already down too many rabbit holes with this bourbon journey of mine.......

79DF1964-3FDF-40DB-A906-6A5083D856E8.jpeg

• I like it 2

52 minutes ago, parksmart said:

Passed b/c I’m already down too many rabbit holes with this bourbon journey of mine.......

Well played sir!

21 hours ago, parksmart said:

I’m sure a few folks will be like “dang, I would’ve gotten at least one at that price”.  Passed b/c I’m already down too many rabbit holes with this bourbon journey of mine.......

I still would've passed at this price.  I tried this recently and was not impressed.

5 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

I still would've passed at this price.  I tried this recently and was not impressed.

BBC It's all the rage with one of the local groups. They swear by it. It beat GTS repeatedly in blinds...with them. 🤷‍♂️

I passed on a Hancock's for $236. 

• I like it 2

23 minutes ago, Clueby said:

I passed on a Hancock's for $236. 

Were you over on the east side again?

😘

On 1/3/2021 at 2:30 PM, parksmart said:

I may be in the minority on this but no question in my mind it would have come home with me.

• I like it 1

6 hours ago, PhantomLamb said:

Thank you, that's why I'm here, to be saved from myself!

11 hours ago, markandrex said:

I may be in the minority on this but no question in my mind it would have come home with me.

It would with me too - every time.

14 hours ago, Bret Bret said:

Thank you, that's why I'm here, to be saved from myself!

Anytime good sir.  Frankly, I just don't like craft.  Too young, not balanced, and really harsh, but that's me.  Craft beer on the other hand...

Was hunting at a well stocked LLS that has provided a limited number of finds (great selection, but prices are meh).  Saw an OFBB 2020 release hiding out of sight in a glass case.  Staff had to ask the big boss what it was priced at.  $399.99.  Doh!

• I like it 2

10 hours ago, parksmart said:

Was hunting at a well stocked LLS that has provided a limited number of finds (great selection, but prices are meh).  Saw an OFBB 2020 release hiding out of sight in a glass case.  Staff had to ask the big boss what it was priced at.  $399.99.  Doh!

Having tasted the 2020 OFBB, I wouldn’t pay $100 for it, unless it was going to be a gift for someone that knew wanted one or something like that 

• I like it 1

Noticeable discount below MSRP, but still no desire to whip out the card for this........

49C45459-A9E6-4073-B3A5-8F83E85A13A6.jpeg

• I like it 2

5 hours ago, parksmart said:

Noticeable discount below MSRP, but still no desire to whip out the card for this........

Jeebus that is so dumb even at a discount.

• I like it 4

17 hours ago, parksmart said:

I think they screwed up with the decimal point there...

17 hours ago, parksmart said:

So what do the dimwits that buy this do with the box? Hopefully they put it away where the kids can find it for the resale value after they're dead.

Hurts me to say this but this morning I passed on:

-George Remus Repeal Reserve - Series 4

-Willett 4 year Rye

-Weller Special Reserve (1.75)

Among many, many others that I can’t get in New York.

That being said I had a good chat with the managers of the two stores and they said don’t stress they will be available when I return later this weekend.  I’m in Kansas and Oklahoma for work and it’s awesome the difference in variety from NY.  Problem is, can only fit 2 or 3 bottles in my suitcase to fly home. 

21 minutes ago, SteveoT said:

Hurts me to say this but this morning I passed on:

-George Remus Repeal Reserve - Series 4

-Willett 4 year Rye

-Weller Special Reserve (1.75)

Among many, many others that I can’t get in New York.

That being said I had a good chat with the managers of the two stores and they said don’t stress they will be available when I return later this weekend.  I’m in Kansas and Oklahoma for work and it’s awesome the difference in variety from NY.  Problem is, can only fit 2 or 3 bottles in my suitcase to fly home. 

Buy a crap duffle bag and check your clothes and other suitcase fodder on board for the overhead bin. 

• I like it 2

17 minutes ago, SteveoT said:

Problem is, can only fit 2 or 3 bottles in my suitcase to fly home. 

Get yourself one of these:

https://thewinecheck.com

You put a 12 bottle cardboard wine shipper with styrofoam insert in there (or pro tip, put two 6 bottle shippers in, and discard one as needed to put clothes/shoes/whatever in the other half).  Now you can easily transport bottles to and from your destinations.  Great for airlines such as Southwest, where checked in bags fly free, or Alaska which offers a wine flies free program.  And if you have status or credit card with a particular airline you fly, then that also means a free checked bag or more.  

*** I have zero affiliation with this company, but have been on Zoom wine offlines with the founder ***

2 hours ago, SteveoT said:

Problem is, can only fit 2 or 3 bottles in my suitcase to fly home. 

If you are going to multiple stores I would assume you have a car.  You could buy some packing supplies then just ship back to yourself!  No heavy box to lug around and probably less expensive than paying for a checked bag.  

Just don't ship through the US mail, it's illegal.  Use UPS or FedEx, they ship my "olive oil" every time.

• I like it 2

On 1/6/2021 at 2:05 PM, parksmart said:

@parksmart, excuse me, but wha??? May I ask at which of our mutual locals you saw that? 

In the Cognac and high-end brandy world, the Baccarat bottles are usually reserved for those products with very, very old Cognacs in the blend (i.e., pre-phylloxera Cognacs from before the 1870's, or early 20th century EDV's, etc.). That's kind of like apples and oranges compared to this. 

Cheers, 

Nancy

• I like it 1

35 minutes ago, WhiskeyBlender said:

@parksmart, excuse me, but wha??? May I ask at which of our mutual locals you saw that? 

In the Cognac and high-end brandy world, the Baccarat bottles are usually reserved for those products with very, very old Cognacs in the blend (i.e., pre-phylloxera Cognacs from before the 1870's, or early 20th century EDV's, etc.). That's kind of like apples and oranges compared to this. 

Cheers, 

Nancy

Hey Nancy, ‘twas at the Richmond location near you.  Still there as of today, surprise surprise.  Go go go!  😂

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.