What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2020-2021)

CardsandBourbon
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Time just got away from me today.  First, I was going to do a little road trip.  Then, I thought a store close by.  Then it's like, dang, I have to go get my son from school soon.  No worries, hit the bunker.  It was either going to be WT or Rittenhouse.  I went with the Rittenhouse.  It had been a long time - very tasty, almost Bourbon. 🙂

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yeah but the bin tag says KC Rye so I suspect that wasn't the actual price for the 12.

Yes, the KC12 was in the wrong place. Actual price $61.

• I like it 1

15 hours ago, Kepler said:

Yeah but the bin tag says KC Rye so I suspect that wasn't the actual price for the 12.

Ahhh... okay, now I don't feel so bad about paying $53.99 for it.  I've seen them as high as $78.00 around here, which is a very hard pass.

• 2 weeks later...

I had some extra pocket cash from some per diem reimbursement, so I wanted to buy something special. After much thought and a little research I decided on Remus Repeal Reserve IV, which I swore my local had around $85. Well, I showed up and found only one left, but it was $110, so I passed. Not sure if they raised price, or my memory was just faulty.

Anyway, $25 is not going to break the bank by any means, but it’s mostly out of principle. I don’t want to get in the habit of paying above a Benjamin for bourbon with any regularity, as it will just make it that much easier next time, and I know there’s plenty of great stuff at half that price or lower.

Think I’ll just grab a RRSiB or OF1920 instead for the weekend and save some money from what I had mentally budgeted. 

• I like it 8

This may be my new favorite thread because all of the stores I go to are loaded with insane prices and I'd love to share my frustrations.

Passed on a WSR at $300 and Weller 12 also at $300 this week. I would love to try a Weller but I don't know if that will ever happen at these prices. What are the Weller MSRP's? I don't even know what range I should even entertain them because they all seem to be that high.

7 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

This may be my new favorite thread because all of the stores I go to are loaded with insane prices and I'd love to share my frustrations.

Passed on a WSR at $300 and Weller 12 also at $300 this week. I would love to try a Weller but I don't know if that will ever happen at these prices. What are the Weller MSRP's? I don't even know what range I should even entertain them because they all seem to be that high.

You're shoping in all the wrong stores, my friend.  PM inbound.   😉

• I like it 5

We’ll be going out later today. I’ll be passing Binny’s. 🤪 More specifically, MM FAE-01. I have a renewed appreciation for MM, but $64.99 is pushing it a bit, even for a limited edition release. FWIW, I’d much rather have two MM 101’s. 😉

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, LvR Mike said:

I don't even know what range I should even entertain them because they all seem to be that high.

Currently 

WSR retails for about $25/750ml

&

W12 retails for about $50/750ml

around here.

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, 0895 said:

Currently 

WSR retails for about $25/750ml

&

W12 retails for about $50/750ml

around here.

Sounds dreamy compared to the $250+ price tags I've seen.

I spent the week in the north woods with my brothers. I did hit a few places along the way in the hope of finding a deal, but mostly found run of the mill stuff for way too much- basic MM for $33, KC for $40, BT for $30, etc. The only decent thing I saw was a single ECBF A121 for $64, but passed.

On 3/25/2021 at 9:15 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

I had some extra pocket cash from some per diem reimbursement, so I wanted to buy something special. After much thought and a little research I decided on Remus Repeal Reserve IV, which I swore my local had around $85. Well, I showed up and found only one left, but it was $110, so I passed. Not sure if they raised price, or my memory was just faulty.

Anyway, $25 is not going to break the bank by any means, but it’s mostly out of principle. I don’t want to get in the habit of paying above a Benjamin for bourbon with any regularity, as it will just make it that much easier next time, and I know there’s plenty of great stuff at half that price or lower.

Think I’ll just grab a RRSiB or OF1920 instead for the weekend and save some money from what I had mentally budgeted. 

Remus Repeal Reserve is wonderful,  but you're right, it's a $85 bottle  (and worth it),  not $110.   The flipping phenomenon and the greed it has spawned has ruined one aspect of the hobby for me,  but thankfully there are other aspects to investigate and savor.   Like a superb bottle of off-the-shelf  4R Single Barrel I wrote about a couple of weeks ago;  not a special edition or a store pick,  just quality bourbon that can't be beat.    Or discovering those special craft bourbons that rival the Kentucky big boys.   

I won't turn down a limited edition if I run into one,  but I'm resigned to the reality I'll never see (at sane prices)  all the stuff I keep hearing about on the bourbon blogs.   Me, I'll just buy another bottle of WTKS,  or Four Roses single barrel,  or Old Forester in one of its many delightful and unallocated manifestations,  and enjoy the summer sunset just as much as I would if I'd had paid 200 bucks to some store owner more interest in a quick buck than building goodwill.   

Edited by Jazzhead
  • I like it 3

Here’s one to shake things up a bit around here.

😱

I passed on a 9y+ 4R PS BS OBSQ because it just wasn’t very good to me.  Usually this store picks great stuff, but this one wasn’t my thing after tasting it.

• I like it 1

On 3/27/2021 at 10:07 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

We’ll be going out later today. I’ll be passing Binny’s. 🤪 More specifically, MM FAE-01. I have a renewed appreciation for MM, but $64.99 is pushing it a bit, even for a limited edition release. FWIW, I’d much rather have two MM 101’s. 😉

Biba! Joe

Damn right!

Especially when MMCS is so reasonable these days.

• I like it 1

On 3/25/2021 at 9:15 PM, BigSkyDrams said:

I am a cheap bastard and I respect your principles.  I am ok with paying a fair price but you did well to pass on Remus Repeal IV for $110.  I bought two bottles, both in the $68 range.  The MSRP in the Indy area is $85.  I really like it but even $85 is pushing it a little.  

Either of your choices plus an OGDBIB or OF100 and you get two great bottles and save some money.

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 1

On 3/27/2021 at 10:07 AM, fishnbowljoe said:

Biba! Joe

I am with you on this.  I did enjoy the previous MM Finishing Series SE4-PR5.  I paid $53.99.  I see the FAE-01 at the same store but there is no shelf label so the price is unknown.  It seems like everything in Indy went up in price about 10% since the beginning of the year.

Finally found an Elijah Craig Barrel Proof and it's the B518, but it was $79.99

Might still pick it up, if I'm in that neighborhood again.

Was in the city today and came across a cool looking cabinet that I took a peak into:

EHTSmB for $150 and Blanton's for $120

Passed on both

• I like it 1

16 hours ago, LvR Mike said:

Was in the city today and came across a cool looking cabinet that I took a peak into:

EHTSmB for $150 and Blanton's for $120

Passed on both

I wonder which cost more the two bottles of bourbon or the cabinet?

Edited by mbroo5880i
  • I like it 2

1 hour ago, mbroo5880i said:

I wonder which cost more the two bottles of bourbon or the cabinet?

Since stores like this are usually pretty well versed about keeping up with secondary markets and what people are after/chasing on a hourly basis:

I feel like it would be slightly hilarious if we (people on this forum)  would all get a bunch of friends to all go into these stores with tater cabinets like this and everyone keep trying to buy their cabinet from them.... like seriously negotiate about it....

Just to make them wonder for a few brief moments what the hell is going on.

🤣

• I like it 4

7 hours ago, 0895 said:

Since stores like this are usually pretty well versed about keeping up with secondary markets and what people are after/chasing on a hourly basis:

I feel like it would be slightly hilarious if we (people on this forum)  would all get a bunch of friends to all go into these stores with tater cabinets like this and everyone keep trying to buy their cabinet from them.... like seriously negotiate about it....

Just to make them wonder for a few brief moments what the hell is going on.

🤣

IN!   🥰

• I like it 2

Heard good things about the KO bourbon batch 10 and it was on the shelf at my LS for 2 weeks... Could not pull the trigger at $300

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.