Jump to content

What Bourbon Did You Pass On Today (Winter 2020-2021)


CardsandBourbon
 Share

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Recommended Posts

Hey Nancy, I have heard from a reputable source, none of the corn for that edition came from stalks that had been grafted.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/8/2021 at 11:27 AM, parksmart said:

Get yourself one of these:

 

https://thewinecheck.com

 

You put a 12 bottle cardboard wine shipper with styrofoam insert in there (or pro tip, put two 6 bottle shippers in, and discard one as needed to put clothes/shoes/whatever in the other half).  Now you can easily transport bottles to and from your destinations.  Great for airlines such as Southwest, where checked in bags fly free, or Alaska which offers a wine flies free program.  And if you have status or credit card with a particular airline you fly, then that also means a free checked bag or more.  
 

*** I have zero affiliation with this company, but have been on Zoom wine offlines with the founder ***

I have a similar but different bag - and it works beautifully!   Big fan - have 2 of them for our Napa trips.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

4 hours ago, mal00768 said:

Local store. What a waste..

C0F91208-B3D0-4B0F-AC2D-154CB6BDFE0B.jpeg

 

Some rich 'tater will bite.  Ain't gonna' be me!   ☺️

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/3/2021 at 3:30 PM, parksmart said:

I’m sure a few folks will be like “dang, I would’ve gotten at least one at that price”.  Passed b/c I’m already down too many rabbit holes with this bourbon journey of mine.......

 

79DF1964-3FDF-40DB-A906-6A5083D856E8.jpeg

Bought another Batch #3....it was that good. 👍🏻

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

I was at a local Meijer today and found a shelf deep with Remus Repeal Reserve IV.  This is interesting because it is a limited release and I haven't seen it in recent trips to liquor stores.  I assume it had been in the area and was gone.  I bought a bottle last Fall at Costco for $65.  I believe the MSRP is $85.  The bottles I saw today were $75.   I have really enjoyed the bottle that I bought.  I passed today but will go back this week.  I am not too concerned about it flying off the shelves.  The only things that fly off the shelves at this Meijer are BT products and Knob Creek.  They are more likely to have a run on Hamm's.

  • I like it 3
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Come on man, sometimes that Hamm's is like $11 a 30 pack. 🤣

 

But seriously, I've been surprised.  Meijer puts some higher priced bottles out there (occasionally).  Not all of them are stuff I would want (even at MSRP) but it's interesting.  They get a few single barrel selections too.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Stopped in an ABC store in a small town yesterday hoping they might have some treasures due to being less picked over compared to the stores near where I live, but I ended up leaving empty handed.

 

The only thing of note they seemed to have was a few bottles of Booker’s, but I just can’t bring myself to pay $89.99 for that with KC120 is sitting there for $49.99

 

They did have the 11 year Dickel BiB for $34. I knew that had some positive reviews but I’ve never tried it, and for whatever reason I left it there. I never see that around here so now I’m wondering if I should’ve grabbed one.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

A local Total Wine had a private select WTKS, with a bottle open for sampling.  I thought it was good, but not $59.99 good.  Not as good as an average RRSiB, and not ~ $20 better than WTRB.   For those reasons, I was out.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

6 minutes ago, bourbon-n00b said:

A local Total Wine had a private select WTKS, with a bottle open for sampling.  I thought it was good, but not $59.99 good.  Not as good as an average RRSiB, and not ~ $20 better than WTRB.   For those reasons, I was out.

Yep - this is why I pass on WTKS unless I can try it first (which is rare). The last one I bought was simply to grab the old fantail bottle style before it got discontinued. 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, flahute said:

Yep - this is why I pass on WTKS unless I can try it first (which is rare). The last one I bought was simply to grab the old fantail bottle style before it got discontinued. 

 

"Fantail" good.  "WTRB Look Alike" not so much, IMHO.  😂

  • I like it 4
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Passed on a woodford very fine rare bourbon at 190. I have a hard time believing bourbon gets better over the 80-100 dollar range.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

Passed on 3 yesterday that had some crazy high prices. You don't find them much here and when you do they hike up those prices.

 

EH Taylor small batch - $120

Larceny Barrell Proof - $129

Sazerac Rye - $50 (this wasn't too bad and thinking if I should go back and try, but still in question)

 

Link to comment
Share on other sites

5 hours ago, Cmont44 said:

Passed on 3 yesterday that had some crazy high prices. You don't find them much here and when you do they hike up those prices.

 

EH Taylor small batch - $120

Larceny Barrell Proof - $129

Sazerac Rye - $50 (this wasn't too bad and thinking if I should go back and try, but still in question)

 

Wouldn't even think about going back for the Saz at that price.  Let em collect dust.

  • I like it 5
Link to comment
Share on other sites

Seriously though... did I screw up passing on that blue labelled Dickel BiB for like $35ish?

If so, I might try to see if it's still there since I'll potentially be back in that area in a few weeks.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

7 hours ago, k-train said:

Seriously though... did I screw up passing on that blue labelled Dickel BiB for like $35ish?

If so, I might try to see if it's still there since I'll potentially be back in that area in a few weeks.

 

I'm not sure if you screwed up, depends if it's something you want to try or not.

I want to try it so I found some and bought one the other day as i saw they had 2 left at my local Total Wine. I believe it was like $36. Haven't tried it yet but will in the next few days. 

Edited by Cmont44
typo
  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

8 hours ago, k-train said:

Seriously though... did I screw up passing on that blue labelled Dickel BiB for like $35ish?

If so, I might try to see if it's still there since I'll potentially be back in that area in a few weeks.

I thought the 11 year was really great for a $35ish whiskey. I didn’t pick up any mineral flavors from it

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

On 1/28/2021 at 8:50 AM, Cmont44 said:

Passed on 3 yesterday that had some crazy high prices. You don't find them much here and when you do they hike up those prices.

 

EH Taylor small batch - $120

Larceny Barrell Proof - $129

Sazerac Rye - $50 (this wasn't too bad and thinking if I should go back and try, but still in question)

 

No way Saz Rye is a $50 bottle.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

13 hours ago, Cmont44 said:

 

I'm not sure if you screwed up, depends if it's something you want to try or not.

I want to try it so I found some and bought one the other day as i saw they had 2 left at my local Total Wine. I believe it was like $36. Haven't tried it yet but will in the next few days. 

Let me know your thoughts. It's not one I'm dying to try, but one of the few things that stood out to me at that store I visited. Since I have never seen it around here otherwise, I don't know anyone personally who has tried it, and I don't have much experience with Dickel products, or Tennessee whiskey in general. So, I don't have any particular expectations It's just that after I passed on it, I decided to look into it & I saw a lot of reviews which seemed to be favorable, and some online retailers seem to be hiking up the price for it. So just curious if it's being hyped up for some reason, or if it is a legitimately good whiskey at MSRP.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

I saw a ton of WTKS picks (selected by Eddie for the state of NC) for $59.95 at a local ABC store today, but I passed on it.

Back when they were unloading the remaining fantail bottles, they marked them down to $35 & I grabbed two. The first one I tried was good, but nothing particularly special. The other one was fantastic. Strangely enough, those are from the same barrel.

I also have a RRSiB the was picked by Eddie for NC, and that's one of the best bourbons I've ever had. Picked up a second bottle of that a while back & it was equally amazing.

Now, I'm wondering if I need to try this WTKS pick. I've seen more knowledgable folks on here mention that the newer WTKS in the WTRB bottle isn't typically that great... but maybe these picks are an exception?

Link to comment
Share on other sites

55 minutes ago, k-train said:

Let me know your thoughts. It's not one I'm dying to try, but one of the few things that stood out to me at that store I visited. Since I have never seen it around here otherwise, I don't know anyone personally who has tried it, and I don't have much experience with Dickel products, or Tennessee whiskey in general. So, I don't have any particular expectations It's just that after I passed on it, I decided to look into it & I saw a lot of reviews which seemed to be favorable, and some online retailers seem to be hiking up the price for it. So just curious if it's being hyped up for some reason, or if it is a legitimately good whiskey at MSRP.

My experience with Dickel is its either a love it or hate it thing due to the mineral/Flintstones vitamin note that is present in almost everything they release.  Some things have it to a lesser degree.  Many people have said the BIB didn't have much of it but I could taste (and smell) it immediately. To me, it is a very off-putting note that I don't enjoy.  Once I smell or taste it, its all I can focus on so even any of the other positive attributes don't make it thru for me.  I would suggest you try a pour of it somewhere first.  OTOH, $35 is a good price for a gamble if you like it, and I'm sure someone would be happy to take it from you if you don't.  It is definitely one that got hyped up and over-priced.  If you like it, its a well-aged BIB at a very reasonable price.

  • I like it 2
Link to comment
Share on other sites

14 minutes ago, Clueby said:

My experience with Dickel is its either a love it or hate it thing due to the mineral/Flintstones vitamin note that is present in almost everything they release.  Some things have it to a lesser degree.  Many people have said the BIB didn't have much of it but I could taste (and smell) it immediately. To me, it is a very off-putting note that I don't enjoy.  Once I smell or taste it, its all I can focus on so even any of the other positive attributes don't make it thru for me.  I would suggest you try a pour of it somewhere first.  OTOH, $35 is a good price for a gamble if you like it, and I'm sure someone would be happy to take it from you if you don't.  It is definitely one that got hyped up and over-priced.  If you like it, its a well-aged BIB at a very reasonable price.

Thanks! Very good point about trading it to someone who wants it for something I know I'll like should I find out I don't dig the Dickel.

Link to comment
Share on other sites

2 hours ago, k-train said:

Let me know your thoughts. It's not one I'm dying to try, but one of the few things that stood out to me at that store I visited. Since I have never seen it around here otherwise, I don't know anyone personally who has tried it, and I don't have much experience with Dickel products, or Tennessee whiskey in general. So, I don't have any particular expectations It's just that after I passed on it, I decided to look into it & I saw a lot of reviews which seemed to be favorable, and some online retailers seem to be hiking up the price for it. So just curious if it's being hyped up for some reason, or if it is a legitimately good whiskey at MSRP.

Never tried anything Dickels before but I have been intrigued to try this one with all the favorable reviews and hype it was getting. At $36 I decided to bite and see if I like, if not then hey at least I know. I'll let you know my thoughts but ofcourse everyone's palate is different.

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

1 hour ago, Clueby said:

My experience with Dickel is its either a love it or hate it thing due to the mineral/Flintstones vitamin note that is present in almost everything they release.  Some things have it to a lesser degree.  Many people have said the BIB didn't have much of it but I could taste (and smell) it immediately. To me, it is a very off-putting note that I don't enjoy.  Once I smell or taste it, its all I can focus on so even any of the other positive attributes don't make it thru for me.  I would suggest you try a pour of it somewhere first.  OTOH, $35 is a good price for a gamble if you like it, and I'm sure someone would be happy to take it from you if you don't.  It is definitely one that got hyped up and over-priced.  If you like it, its a well-aged BIB at a very reasonable price.

This is good to know for when i get to try it! Thanks

Link to comment
Share on other sites

21 hours ago, Clueby said:

My experience with Dickel is its either a love it or hate it thing due to the mineral/Flintstones vitamin note that is present in almost everything they release.  Some things have it to a lesser degree.  Many people have said the BIB didn't have much of it but I could taste (and smell) it immediately. To me, it is a very off-putting note that I don't enjoy.  Once I smell or taste it, its all I can focus on so even any of the other positive attributes don't make it thru for me.  I would suggest you try a pour of it somewhere first.  OTOH, $35 is a good price for a gamble if you like it, and I'm sure someone would be happy to take it from you if you don't.  It is definitely one that got hyped up and over-priced.  If you like it, its a well-aged BIB at a very reasonable price.

The Dickel 13yr BiB was the 2019 release and it won some award from, I think, Whiskey Advocate.  Because of that, a LS near me marked it up to $497.99 lol.  It was a pretty good pour but it did have that distinct mineral note.  The 2020 release is 11yo and, while I haven't opened mine yet, most reviews I've read say it has much less of that mineral note.  Anyway, that's probably the one you're seeing on the shelf and, at that price, I'd say it's worth a try. 

 

On the mineral note, to me, if there's just a hint, it adds complexity and is not off putting at all.  I recently opened a bottle of a Barrell Bourbon SiB store pick which was distilled in Tennessee.  I'd bet the farm that it's Dickel because of a hint of that mineral note but, man, is it delicious! 

  • I like it 1
Link to comment
Share on other sites

 Share

×
×
  • Create New...

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.