Early Times BiB

gurgalunas
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Here’s something I thought about after seeing a few posts mentioning  Ancient Age. Saz used to make an AA BIB. It was pretty darned good, but sadly they discontinued it more than 10 years IIRC. If Saz changes the masbill and it’s anything like the old AA BIB, I’d be a happy camper. That being said, I do like the current version of ET BIB, even though I rarely see it in my area. When I do see it, it’s behind the counter with a limit of one. 😐

Biba! Joe

• 2 weeks later...
On 1/1/2021 at 12:09 PM, FasterHorses said:

Wonder why BF would sell.. ive read where this (ET not ET BiB)is the best selling whiskey worldwide. 

Pretty sure BF is cash-strapped due all of the tarriffs being applied to JD overseas in addition to COVID sales losses in bars/restaurants.  Believe they also sold them Canadian Mist in the deal.  The cash injection was needed and put them back on course for earnings and made investors happy.

19 hours ago, Shizzy said:

Pretty sure BF is cash-strapped due all of the tarriffs being applied to JD overseas in addition to COVID sales losses in bars/restaurants.  Believe they also sold them Canadian Mist in the deal.  The cash injection was needed and put them back on course for earnings and made investors happy.

I assure you B-F is not cash strapped. That company is very healthy. I think they just chose to get rid of a couple of low margin brands to concentrate on their more profitable labels

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

I assure you B-F is not cash strapped. That company is very healthy. I think they just chose to get rid of a couple of low margin brands to concentrate on their more profitable labels

Just reading the tea leaves.  

https://www.thespiritsbusiness.com/2020/06/brown-forman-q4-sales-hit-by-covid-19/

16 hours ago, Old Hippie said:

12 hours ago, Shizzy said:

2020 made even very healthy companies cash-strapped.  Just a fact.

• I like it 1

On 10/1/2021 at 5:06 AM, Old Hippie said:

You are on the right track. At a barrel pick back in August I asked Chris Morris this question and the answer was to streamline the portfolio so they can put the same whiskey into more premium products.

• I like it 2

On 10/2/2021 at 4:40 PM, flahute said:

You are on the right track. At a barrel pick back in August I asked Chris Morris this question and the answer was to streamline the portfolio so they can put the same whiskey into more premium products.

"Uh.....Chris, I appreciate the candor but that doesn't exactly make me want to buy more of your premium products."

• I like it 5

39 minutes ago, BigRich said:

"Uh.....Chris, I appreciate the candor but that doesn't exactly make me want to buy more of your premium products."

B-F CEO upon hearing this:

image.jpeg.46775954398144216c30168057b19a37.jpeg

• I like it 2

Coming soon:  

“Woodford Master’s Collection - Slightly Sweeter Mash, BiB, NAS

msrp: $124.99

The value market is already covered by OF86 and OF 100 (the latter being 5-6yrs old whiskey) so why not take the whiskey going into Early Times, age it another 6 months, and then send it to the OFBP single barrel program where it will sell for $90. Makes perfect sense to me.

• I like it 3

11 hours ago, flahute said:

The value market is already covered by OF86 and OF 100 (the latter being 5-6yrs old whiskey)

Truth be told....that OF 100 Signature is my favorite OF product.  I like some of the other expressions, but I can say I'm over the moon for them.  In fact, there aren't too many BF products I care for (I know this isn't a popular view).  The majority of the ones I do care for actually come out of Tennessee.  That JDBP LE SiB Rye was out of this world.

That all said, isn't most of their whiskey they bottle in the 5-6 year age range?  It'd be nice to see them put out a more aged "premium product"(not named Birthday Bourbon), cuz I don't really buy into their whole heat cycling process.  I think it may round off some rough edges, but I'm a firm believer in there being no substitute for time.

• 2 months later...

Hi All!

This might be my first post, I'm not sure!  I've lurked on here a while since getting interested in bourbon.

I've searched the interwebs and I have not found a review comparing the B-F Early Times BiB to the Sazerac BiB.  I found some articles saying that Sazerac bought the current inventory barrels at the time.

It's one of my favorites, I pick up couple bottles whenever I get the chance.  The last two bottles I picked up, I cracked one of the bottles.  I thought it tasted a little different, so I grabbed one of my older bottles an put them side by side.  you can see that the DSP numbers have changed and they put the Sazerac website address on the one.

I've got my tasting notes but I'm interested if anybody else has done these side by side and could tell a difference?

Cheers!

Mitch

ETBiBFront.jpg

ETBiBBack.jpg

• I like it 1

It looks like both bottles contain whiskey distilled at DSP 354 (Brown-Forman Louisville, KY).

The second one was bottled by the new owners at their location.

Granted, even big batched whiskey may vary a bit.

The big test will be tasting it after the label says distilled and bottled by Sazerac (DSP-KY-12 Barton).

• I like it 4

• 3 months later...
On 1/1/2021 at 1:55 PM, flahute said:

Distilled in one, bottled in the other.

Sazerac Company purchased Early Times in 2020 and moved distillation, aging, and bottling production to its 1792 Distillery in Bardstown, KY only in Summer 2021.  Since Bottled-in-Bond whiskies must be produced in one distillation season (January–June or July–December), by a single distiller at one distillery - and must be aged for at least four years:  I would think that the current Early Times Bottled-in-Bond bottles are still Brown-Forman inventory that Sazerac acquired.  We’ll likely not see Sazerac-produced Early Times BiB until 2025. 

Edited by Shell
  • I like it 6

Indeed, because of bottled in bond requirements, these changes will be listed on the label as the DSP numbers.  One number if distilled and bottled by the same place, or it could be two different numbers, distilled one place, bottled another.

One great thing about bonds - you know what you're getting, or at least from who and where.

Transition bottles will be distilled B-F, bottled by Barton.

• I like it 1

• 2 weeks later...

The thing I believe will influence the taste the most (in the nearer term) is moving aging from B-F heat cycled rickhouses to the Barton rickhouses. 

• I like it 4

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Bourbon Junkies cracked a new style bottle about a month ago and thought it was inferior; a blind SBS followup backed up their first impressions. Keeping an eye out for more experiences on the matter, although since I haven't seem any ET around here in about a year it's kind of a moot point.

32 minutes ago, lemonman said:

It will be interesting to see how this turns out. Bourbon Junkies cracked a new style bottle about a month ago and thought it was inferior; a blind SBS followup backed up their first impressions. Keeping an eye out for more experiences on the matter, although since I haven't seem any ET around here in about a year it's kind of a moot point.

I actually just brought a new style bottle home yesterday to sbs with my open old one.

It’s for science, so it doesn’t count as buying another bottle right?

• I like it 6

30 minutes ago, 0895 said:

I actually just brought a new style bottle home yesterday to sbs with my open old one.

Agreed.  Who can put a price on science ;) Need to remember to set one of my bottles aside so I have one left in 2025 to compare against (although not like if the new one sucks I'll hop in the Delorean and go get more of the old)

36 minutes ago, 0895 said:

That's the can-do spirit this place thrives on!

Edited by lemonman
bad link
  • I like it 3

52 minutes ago, GaryT said:

(although not like if the new one sucks I'll hop in the Delorean and go get more of the old)

19B400E9-A04B-4381-A897-83F7F0507765.jpeg

• I like it 3

• 4 weeks later...

Now that some reviews/comparisons are out, it looks like most tasters consider the Sax product markedly inferior to the BF product.  Some have said that the juice that used to go into the BF ET BIB will now go to Cooper's Craft Reserve.  Dunno.  Both Cooper's Craft and ET BIB were not distributed here in CA, but a friend got me a bottle of the Cooper's Craft Reserve (yummy) and ET BIB is dropping in CA now that Saz owns it (I've seen it as low as $17 and as high as $26 so far).  I have a friend with a bottle of the BF ET BIB so I am hoping to get a bottle of the Saz BIB and do a blind with BF ET BIB, Saz ET BIB, OF 100, OF Signature (I have an old bottle of Signature that IMHO is way better than the current OF 100), and Cooper's Craft Reserve.  I will report my findings if the blind happens.

58 minutes ago, IamMatt said:

Now that some reviews/comparisons are out, it looks like most tasters consider the Sax product markedly inferior to the BF product.  Some have said that the juice that used to go into the BF ET BIB will now go to Cooper's Craft Reserve.  Dunno.  Both Cooper's Craft and ET BIB were not distributed here in CA, but a friend got me a bottle of the Cooper's Craft Reserve (yummy) and ET BIB is dropping in CA now that Saz owns it (I've seen it as low as $17 and as high as $26 so far).  I have a friend with a bottle of the BF ET BIB so I am hoping to get a bottle of the Saz BIB and do a blind with BF ET BIB, Saz ET BIB, OF 100, OF Signature (I have an old bottle of Signature that IMHO is way better than the current OF 100), and Cooper's Craft Reserve.  I will report my findings if the blind happens.

It's still all the same "juice" distilled at BF, correct? I suppose its the short time spent aging at Barton and the different bottling line and water source for proofing that accounts for any differences.

• I like it 1

2 minutes ago, Clueby said:

It's still all the same "juice" distilled at BF, correct? I suppose its the short time spent aging at Barton and the different bottling line and water source for proofing that accounts for any differences.

When I was at Barton in October I asked a guy. He said they got the barrels designated for ET BIB, so that's what they'll use for a few years. But, this same guy told me it was 6 year product in the bottle, which we all know OF wasn't doing that. 

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.