What beer are you drinking 2021?

Phil T
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

4 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

🎵 It’s the most wonderful tiiiiime of the beer yeeeeaaarrr!!!  🎼 

Sam Adams Octoberfest leading it off for me, again this year!  

EDD444BE-1F84-42C0-AB66-8F940F83963E.jpeg

Oh my! That looks good!

No pictures right now, but bought a 12 pack of Yuengling Octoberfest and have worked my way through 3/4 of it.

Initial thoughts, on point with SA Octoberfest.  Not sure if that a reference for this style of beer or not.

But it's my only comparison.  Nice malty sweetness without being overly filling.  For me, it winds up being a session beer.  Really good.

I've tried almost every Oktoberfest I can get my hands over the past 3-4yrs and Sierra Nevada makes the one I like the most.  Some others are good, but then there are those that aren’t true enough to the style or have a house flavor that ruin it for me.

• I like it 1

I saw the Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada and will get to them, but I am focusing locals first. I actually like some variety over strict adherence to style but this option from Tucker is pretty much right down the middle.

PXL_20210904_154751610.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.102448f1b25ae26fd24455c3578baf52.jpg

Edited by dad-proof
  • I like it 2

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

This Bell’s Octoberfest is solid.

I don't think I've tried that one.  I'll keep a lookout.

I'm having a fluffy IPA while I wait for the grill to heat up.

IMG_8237.thumb.jpg.d71d574e441e7b41a41e0467c7f63234.jpg

• I like it 1

The lederhosen can design is a nice touch. Otherwise a distance 3rd compared to the Arches and Tucker.

PXL_20210904_225704794.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.e3afb898f3dfd279d785084a7363d87e.jpg

• I like it 1

Highland Brewing Oktoberfest.  I don’t know if it’s the extremely ripe and delicious honeydew melon I just ate, but there is a nice sweetness mid palate on this that I working really well.  

9EFD1BD5-57A5-48F0-AB12-BE73D95B1679.jpeg

• I like it 4

Leaning into the fall.  Post-Ida the temp has dropped and the sky has cleared.  Probably too early to call it but the seasons they are a changin.

IMG_8267.thumb.jpg.91b0d917cdeaee3d5d6ac57ee325b757.jpg

• I like it 4

Need to do a liquor store run. I have no Octoberfest style beer in my fridge. Had a few Yuengling’s with my 5 Guys takeout dinner tonight. No pics, just empty bottles.

22 hours ago, CreepFactor10 said:

Since I love beer, I need to get some Märzen (Märzenbier) lager...I've never tried it. Always expand your horizons...

This will do for now...

IMG_2852 - Copy.JPG

First Sierra Nevada Oktoberfest of the season.  By far the creamiest of those I’ve tried this year.  Not enough on the first 2/3s of the palate to keep up with the SA for me, but it is nearly as good.  My second favorite this season, so far.

7551C913-BFFB-49F0-A92F-36BB16B06597.jpeg

• I like it 1

On 9/4/2021 at 11:52 AM, dad-proof said:

I saw the Sam Adams and Sierra Nevada and will get to them, but I am focusing locals first. I actually like some variety over strict adherence to style but this option from Tucker is pretty much right down the middle.

PXL_20210904_154751610.PORTRAIT.thumb.jpg.102448f1b25ae26fd24455c3578baf52.jpg

I have a method to my Oktobetfesting, too.  🤪Sam Adams is always my starter for the season on September 1.  I then spend the rest of September going through every American iteration I can find.  Come October 1, I move fully to the Germans.  
Trying the Tucker, now.  I agree with you.  This is right down the middle.  A little thin to my palate, but nice malty notes.  

777689A2-578F-467D-BB53-7DB5243A3ADA.jpeg

• I like it 2

Played music at a local brewery Friday night. Their beer is legit. I bought some of the "Dark as Funk" to take home and had one with dinner last night. It was aged in a Jim Beam barrel. He has a lot of stuff aging in various MGP barrels, brandy barrels, etc. 

Had a Founder's Velvet Rush for dessert. It is definitely dessert. Coffee, cocoa, vanilla, milk sugar.

Today having a Stone IPA after yard work. Not really my thing. 

20210917_212200.jpg

20210918_173312.jpg

20210919_142955.jpg

• I like it 2

Bought a six-pack of TUCHER (Nurnberg, Germany) Octoberfest because it is that time of year.  Just as UNdrinkable now as it was in 1969.  You'd think that they'd have changed the formula in 50 years.

HOWEVER! the Lowenbrau Export Octoberfest is pretty good, and the Devils Backbone (Virginia) O'fest is pretty close to what I remember the Haufbrau Haus liter mugs tasted like in 1968.  Indeed, I learned that the German beers tended to be in the under 5% ABV range so one could drink ALL DAY if one paced oneself and ate food (like, small half chickens, brats mit brochen, and kartoffel salad), one could sit and drink for HOURS. 

I remember a bunch of us US Army guys planning a trip to Munich for Octoberfest (mid-SEPT to 1st week of Oct) to the Haufbrau Haus on a weekend.  We packed 14 people into three cars.  As we were driving South down the autobahn on the "first" day of Octoberfest, we noticed buses travelling North stopped and parked in the median strip.  Turns out that Octoberfest officially started at MIDNIGHT, and these were buses heading HOME and making "pit stops".

Like a couple other posters noted, I sort of buy a range of "Octoberfest beers" just to sample them all.  NEXT UP?

Doppelbock beer.  At the end of the growing season year, local brewers had  loose ends of leftover hops, barley, and wheat.  They'd throw these sweepings into a vat and let it ferment.  Sometimes the result sucked, but sometimes the result was exquisite.  AND, it was usually sold at a price that one could NOT pass up if one was 23 and immortal.

• I like it 1

This Local Red Hare Oktoberfest jumps around on me from year to year.  I’ll like it some years, then not in others.  Even, inconsistent in the same year.  I’m enjoying this years, though.  The toasty, biscuit, caramel notes are spot on.  Full, but not unduly heavy.  

4A2A1C36-B174-4781-AE60-A16645C42CDA.jpeg

• I like it 2

Another locally brewed Marzen.  This one by Wild Heaven.  Wow, is this boring… 🥱 

Early returns have this solidly in last place in my run through the Oktoberfests…

DBBF020F-63EA-4036-8E60-002087F5A051.jpeg

19 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Another locally brewed Marzen.  This one by Wild Heaven.  Wow, is this boring… 🥱 

Early returns have this solidly in last place in my run through the Oktoberfests…

DBBF020F-63EA-4036-8E60-002087F5A051.jpeg

Nice photo on the wood pile though 👍

32 minutes ago, BigRich said:

Nice photo on the wood pile though 👍

Yeah, we’ll that wood pile ain’t moving itself from my driveway to the backyard, so why don’t you come over for a full body workout of 12-15 wheelbarrow loads?  😂

18 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

Yeah, we’ll that wood pile ain’t moving itself from my driveway to the backyard, so why don’t you come over for a full body workout of 12-15 wheelbarrow loads?  😂

Depends on what comes off the smoker and out of the bottle when we're done. ;)

Forgive the cross-post.  I'm not a beer expert, so seeking advice.  

Going to head over to one of my LLSs this week for a collection of German Octoberfest bottlings for the season (any recommendations?).  Bring on autumn; traditionally my favorite season of the year!!  

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.