Empty Bottle(s) Support Group — 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

1 hour ago, JvW said:

On the road Hotel Entertainment...Gangsta’ Style & it was very enjoyable.  Good bye little Feller 😜

5F2728CD-811F-4E30-99FE-F8708786E0E4.jpeg

I've never seen a New Riff shorty.  I'm guessing the hotel is in Kentucky?

• I like it 1

Killed a Woodford Wheat Whiskey (really a 4 grain) tonight. It's my first "Sunday  night ritual" post covid.

I really love this stuff, but I seem to be in the minority.  The apple and pear fruit notes really work on winter nights for me. 

20210117_213144.jpg

6 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I've never seen a New Riff shorty.  I'm guessing the hotel is in Kentucky?

It is, found the bottle at LB in Danville, KY...

• I like it 1

9 hours ago, JvW said:

It is, found the bottle at LB in Danville, KY...

I figured as much.  I really like New Riff, and most of the stuff that they put out.    A friend of mine, who lives within walking distance of New Riff, picks me up a few bottles when it goes on sale.  Last time I was in Kentucky, they had it on sale at a liquor store next to a Kroger's.  Something like $35.00 a bottle.

• I like it 1

Open & shut case; smokin' glass found next to body...

Easy enough to replace, not as good as most Sibs but consistently good.

20210120_145852.jpg.def82fecc35a31ca193c944cf8d889ac.jpg

• I like it 4

Yesterday I had to put this horsie down.  He started off slow with a bit too much oak flavor, but he finished strong down the stretch.

20210123_234401.jpg

• I like it 3

On 1/17/2021 at 9:08 AM, GeeTen said:

That's an easy one, D. - Pappy Van Winkle Family Reserve 13yr Rye!  All we have to do is find you one (was this a hint???)!   🥳

No, that wasn't a hint, but that would be a nice one to open for our 13th Anniversary for sure!! Finding one at an affordable price is going to be the big challenge. I have a bottle of Old Fitz 13yr downstairs that I have been thinking will be the suitable celebratory pour later in the year. At least I have until October to make a decision.

• I like it 1

Just poured the last drop from my final Lake Charles Lake Street Liquor FR SB Barrel Strength that I picked up while commuting there in 2014. I think LC Woody probably snagged a few of these as well, before I managed to of course. Ha.

I just finished cataract surgery this month on both eyes. Damn cool. A dental cleaning is more invasive, and I no longer need to wear glasses after wearing since the fourth grade (1962). 

Pat

Subsequent edit: Well holy shit. One more benefit from cataract surgery, and from advancing years: I just updated my bunker inventory spreadsheet (yes, I am one of those), to note the demise of this bottle, and it turns out that I have ONE MORE in stock. Yahoo!!!

FR back.jpg

FR one.jpg

Edited by Patrick_OKC
update
  • I like it 10

Killing off a stagg jr batch 14 with a bigger pour than i anticipated. Not a favorite of mine at all but a pour or 2 a month was interesting.

• I like it 1

On 1/24/2021 at 6:40 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

Just poured the last drop from my final Lake Charles Lake Street Liquor FR SB Barrel Strength that I picked up while commuting there in 2014. I think LC Woody probably snagged a few of these as well, before I managed to of course. Ha.

I just finished cataract surgery this month on both eyes. Damn cool. A dental cleaning is more invasive, and I no longer need to wear glasses after wearing since the fourth grade (1962). 

Pat

Subsequent edit: Well holy shit. One more benefit from cataract surgery, and from advancing years: I just updated my bunker inventory spreadsheet (yes, I am one of those), to note the demise of this bottle, and it turns out that I have ONE MORE in stock. Yahoo!!!

FR back.jpg

FR one.jpg

It took a few months to talk Mrs Sue into getting a barrel of 4R’s because back then Lake St. didn’t move a lot of SmB and SB 4R’s. That was a really good barrel, and once she got it in and saw how fast it moved, I never had to talk her into it again. 

Not to bore y’all, but a little story about “Its just bourbon” on the bottle. The 4R’s rep said you can put a shot message on the bottle, (Mrs Sue is a straight forward, no nonsense, tell you like it is person. You never have to wary about what she is thinking.) so Mrs Sue, her husband and I were brainstorming what to put on the bottles and after a few minutes she said “I don’t have time for this, I don’t know what the big deal is, it’s just bourbon.” At the same time her husband and I looked at each other and said that’s it, “It’s just Bourbon”. Then we talked her into putting “Sue” after her saying. 

• I like it 12

Another one down - only 2 more left in the bunker...

Will be a sad day when those are gone too.

IMG_0093.jpg

• I like it 3

On 1/24/2021 at 6:40 PM, Patrick_OKC said:

I hope you don't let Home Depot do your inventory for you or It could be in someone else's bunker. I think I'll go check mine... 😜

34 minutes ago, bayouredd said:

I hope you don't let Home Depot do your inventory for you or It could be in someone else's bunker. I think I'll go check mine... 😜

That is funny!

Pat

• I like it 1

11 hours ago, LCWoody said:

It took a few months to talk Mrs Sue into getting a barrel of 4R’s because back then Lake St. didn’t move a lot of SmB and SB 4R’s. That was a really good barrel, and once she got it in and saw how fast it moved, I never had to talk her into it again. 

Not to bore y’all, but a little story about “Its just bourbon” on the bottle. The 4R’s rep said you can put a shot message on the bottle, (Mrs Sue is a straight forward, no nonsense, tell you like it is person. You never have to wary about what she is thinking.) so Mrs Sue, her husband and I were brainstorming what to put on the bottles and after a few minutes she said “I don’t have time for this, I don’t know what the big deal is, it’s just bourbon.” At the same time her husband and I looked at each other and said that’s it, “It’s just Bourbon”. Then we talked her into putting “Sue” after her saying. 

LC, that is really interesting. I wish that I was still commuting to Lake Charles. Did Lake Street make it through the hurricanes? I know you were hit pretty hard. How about Hokus Pocus? Looks like their websites are up.

Pat

10 hours ago, Patrick_OKC said:

LC, that is really interesting. I wish that I was still commuting to Lake Charles. Did Lake Street make it through the hurricanes? I know you were hit pretty hard. How about Hokus Pocus? Looks like their websites are up.

Pat

Lake Street will be several more months, they got hit really hard. Hokus Pocus just opened this past Friday.

• I like it 1

4R OBSF finished off before dinner.  Fortunately it  has a few siblings in the bunker, somewhere.

Edited by markandrex

Finished off a Knob Creek Single Barrel from Ace Spirits.  Nice caramel, leather, baking spices.  Rather linear and small scaled for 120 proof, a good and not so good thing.  Refined, and classy.

4C84A431-7CE6-40F8-85C6-F73D7890712F.jpeg

• I like it 1

My first ever bottle of Blanton's.  I can see why people love this and I can see why people hate on it.  It's not a huge tongue punch but sooo balanced and, dare I say it, elegant.  If you're looking for a tongue punch, you'll be disappointed.  But, if you want something to sip and savor, this does it for me.  It's a bit on the level with WSR but way more complex. 

blanton's empty.jpg

• I like it 1

34 minutes ago, fosmith said:

My first ever bottle of Blanton's.  I can see why people love this and I can see why people hate on it.  It's not a huge tongue punch but sooo balanced and, dare I say it, elegant.  If you're looking for a tongue punch, you'll be disappointed.  But, if you want something to sip and savor, this does it for me.  It's a bit on the level with WSR but way more complex. 

blanton's empty.jpg

I love that you referred to it as elegant. Smokinjoe has been referring to it that way since about 2014 or so. And I agree.

Those of us who hate on it do so not because it doesn't deliver a tongue punch but because as a single barrel product it too often is a sub par barrel. When you find a good one? Fantastic! When you don't? Bleh! Seems like nowadays there are too many bleh barrels.

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, flahute said:

I love that you referred to it as elegant. Smokinjoe has been referring to it that way since about 2014 or so. And I agree.

Those of us who hate on it do so not because it doesn't deliver a tongue punch but because as a single barrel product it too often is a sub par barrel. When you find a good one? Fantastic! When you don't? Bleh! Seems like nowadays there are too many bleh barrels.

Luckily, I can stick to buying Loch & K(e)y picks of Blanton's (albeit at a premium!) - helps eliminate "bleh" barrels.  I know who to yell at and throw things towards if they pick a bad one!   🤣

• I like it 4

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.