Empty Bottle(s) Support Group — 2021

This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

Drained this today. Don’t know if I’ll get another until the price comes down some. 
AD5B0539-1199-40A6-B2D8-BB37C6A9E327.thumb.jpeg.f2879b15530d5972dc7901256a095454.jpeg

Last pour of the HH 6YO BIB while watching the Terps and UConn.  I have one more in the bunker but will probably hold that one for a while.

IMG_20210320_154724210.jpg

• I like it 7

1 hour ago, 0895 said:

😢

2437DCE0-F0E4-43C1-95F7-CD945A257DCF.jpeg

This makes me sad. They've been so hard to find. The revival and decades and cornerstone popped up decently regularly here even if I didn't always but then. I've seen exactly 1 BiB and I wish I had more. 

1 hour ago, TimeWillTell said:

This makes me sad. They've been so hard to find. The revival and decades and cornerstone popped up decently regularly here even if I didn't always but then. I've seen exactly 1 BiB and I wish I had more. 

Same

14 hours ago, TimeWillTell said:

To me, it was a fantastic bottle that only got better as I drank it down.

The last few pours out of it have been some of my favorite bourbon ever, from any distillery.

My wife who is historically not a big turkey fan thought it fantastic as well and helped me finish it off yesterday.

I know its very hard to drink something special when you only have one, but I strongly encourage you to enjoy this one and just live in the memory later.

• I like it 4

8 hours ago, 0895 said:

To me, it was a fantastic bottle that only got better as I drank it down.

The last few pours out of it have been some of my favorite bourbon ever, from any distillery.

My wife who is historically not a big turkey fan thought it fantastic as well and helped me finish it off yesterday.

I know its very hard to drink something special when you only have one, but I strongly encourage you to enjoy this one and just live in the memory later.

How would you say it compares to the older 17 year release? I have an unopened bottle of that one, maybe they are similar.

A few are headed to the big blue bin or downstairs. For starters, I did some vatting. Yes, believe it or not I vatted something. 😂 I added to my HH BIB, blend, so I emptied a EW BIB and a JTS Brown. On the plus side, I now have a handle and a 750 of my HH BIB at my beck and call. The two liters of BT I just bought were decanted into an almost empty, and two empty BT 750’s. So, one BT open and a bunch in the wings. 😎 Last but not least, I polished off a Weller SR.

Stay tuned. I may be doing some more vatting and/or decanting in the near future. I’m trying to organize things a little better so I can make some room in my cabinet. Hopefully I won’t have bottles sitting out all over the place, and  I won’t have to put bottles in boxes. 😇

Biba! Joe

3 minutes ago, mal00768 said:

How would you say it compares to the older 17 year release? I have an unopened bottle of that one, maybe they are similar.

I probably cannot help you much on that.

I never owned the first release of Masters keep 17 year.  Just tried a pour at a bar and decided it wasn't good enough to buy a whole bottle for me.  I remember liking the Diamond Anniversary slightly better in an sbs.

That's been a few years.  It would be interesting to see what I thought of it now.

This purchase (17y BiB) was a gamble for me.  I bought it based purely on what I was reading online.

Sometimes when you bet, you win.

2 hours ago, mal00768 said:

For me the BIB is much better.

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

Do NOT, under any circumstances, argue with your wife.  She will take you out and squash you like the bug, you are, believe me!  Say "hi" to her for me please.   🤣

• I like it 2

15 hours ago, 0895 said:

This purchase (17y BiB) was a gamble for me.  I bought it based purely on what I was reading online.

Sometimes when you bet, you win.

• I like it 3

A trio heading to the bin. The SW was good, if a little overhyped. The ET BIB was a nice surprise. The EC SB 9yr is my third from this pick. Will continue to buy as long as my local has it in at $25.99 +tax.

IMG_1508.jpg

• I like it 2

Some good work on this page people. Keep up the good work.  Last night I put down the finishing touches of an OF Rye

20210403_151553.jpg

• I like it 3

The three good ones here all bit the dust this past week.  The W12 was, as usual, very satisfying in its distinctive way.  I love the "rustic" appeal of this whiskey, for lack of a better word.  The Bowman is consistently fine, to my palate.  Refined without being boring.  A bright flavor, but with some depth, also.  And, the Remus Series IV has become a new star in my cabinet.  I really, really like this one.  Fantastic aromas and flavors that keep me reacihng for the glass.  At $80 a bottle, it's in the upper end of what I like to pay for bourbon, but I feel this one is definitely worth it to me.  I have already acquired a couple of backups.  So, three distinctive whiskeys - ALL were thoroughly enjoyed!

Bowman-Remus-Weller.jpg

• I like it 8

In my newfound motivation to drink the good stuff while I can, I've been finishing off some real cracking whiskeys the past few weeks.  

-WTRB Rye.  Bunkered a case. 

-Starlight SiB Bourbon. ibid. 

-RR SiB H.  ibid. 

-Booker's (Toogies). More where that came from. 

-ECBP B517. Found a couple of the A121, so this heel will kick over the weekend. 

-Hazelburn 10.  Backup procured.  This went faster than the Springbank 10 for some reason? 

-BenRiach 2005 Peated/Port.  Been open awhile at under half; so poured a 4oz boston round for posterity and will kick this heel as well.  I think there's another full bottle of it in the bowels of the bunker as well?  

Life is too damn short not to enjoy the whiskey I've been hoarding.  Can't take it with me; time to drink up!!  

Spent a few $Gs on whiskey and Yak in Q1.  Going to take another long buying break for the rest of this year.  I heard they're making more...

• I like it 6

It’s been a roller coaster year. From 16-20 open bottles to 5 while house hunting last summer. All the way to 1 while temporarily living with the in-laws before closing. Then between Halloween and Easter 120 plus bottles opened!  That was fun. 

Recently it was decided to use the “bourbon room” for something different so I moved everything to two large cabinets. They hold about 100 total so I’m back to needing to carve out some space.

This years round of ERs are picked and will hopefully land before the 4th of July.  Hopefully as good as last years. 

57F42FD5-85DD-44FE-A86D-DD887563D670.jpeg

• I like it 3

I have to say, this was a disappointment especially after all the praise it has gotten here.  Not that it's bad - it isn't - but, for $3 more, I can get the MMCS which is way better IMO.  The 101 just lacks the richness and buttery mouthfeel of the CS.  That extra 10 proof really makes a difference.  To me, this is a $25ish bottle not a $37 bottle. 

mm101 empty.jpg

• I like it 1

29 minutes ago, fosmith said:

I have to say, this was a disappointment especially after all the praise it has gotten here.  Not that it's bad - it isn't - but, for $3 more, I can get the MMCS which is way better IMO.  The 101 just lacks the richness and buttery mouthfeel of the CS.  That extra 10 proof really makes a difference.  To me, this is a $25ish bottle not a $37 bottle. 

It's $31-$33 here.  CS is $38-$40.  I know that is splitting hairs.  I have limited experience with CS but the ones I have had were so one dimensional with just an overwhelming super sweetness and the only other attrubute was just ethanol.  I prefer MM46 to CS but haven't tried the CS version of 46 yet.  MM46 is under $30 here and I feel brings about the same level as the MM101 but with a lean toward spicy and woody where 101 leans toward caramel and vanilla.  Still prefer OWA over any of them but it is essentially a unicorn.

• I like it 1

No new empties, but I did go through the empty bottles in my basement. I had a bunch of odd sized ones that wouldn’t be good for making candles or lights. I sent a dozen to the big blue bin last week, and another half dozen to the big blue bin this week. More than likely, I’ll be doing that again for the next few weeks. I will be keeping a few for sentimental reasons. The first one I set aside to keep was an old WT KS fantail bottle. 

Biba! Joe

• I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.