What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

7 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

After a couple years of picking this these up off LS shelves, (and setting them back), I finally pulled the trigger on this one.   

The $88 price tag frightened my inner "Cheap Bastard" but it was a tax-free purchase so I bought it anyway.

The reviews that mention "sickly sweet" and "marshmallow" and "syrupy" are spot-on.  The rum flavor is pretty dominant, the sweetness cloying, and the rye in this whiskey is hidden in the background.  It has that MGP flavor that I love, but it's very muted.

It's my 2nd foray into finished whiskey, (the first being an excellent Backbone Barrel proof pick, finished in Jamaican rum barrels), and may be my last.  It's just not in my wheelhouse.

No use crying over spilt milk, so I can see this one lasting for years, as a dessert pour.   Mrs. Skinsfan likes it well enough, and I probably wouldn't be averse to the occasional pour, as a change of pace.

That being said, when it's gone, it's gone, and won't be replaced.

angels envy rye.jpg

Blend it 50/50 with WhistlePig 10 to knock down the candy component.

George Dickel Rye could be another, much less expensive MGP blending option.

• I like it 1

12 hours ago, Freakdog said:

And the most recent batch...

sagamore.jpg

I see Sagamore around.  What’s their story?

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

I see Sagamore around.  What’s their story?

So until now it's been mgp rye, cut with water from the sagamore farm. Owned by Kevin plank, founder of underarmour. The standard offerings are exactly what you would expect. But the do a whole bunch of oddly finished products as well. This is the first year of their own distillate being generally released as a BIB. I'm pretty excited to try it.

• I like it 1

On 12/22/2021 at 12:29 AM, Mattk said:

So until now it's been mgp rye, cut with water from the sagamore farm. Owned by Kevin plank, founder of underarmour. The standard offerings are exactly what you would expect. But the do a whole bunch of oddly finished products as well. This is the first year of their own distillate being generally released as a BIB. I'm pretty excited to try it.

I'm not a big fan of the bourbon, but I enjoy their cask strength rye.   I have a 6 year blended rye pick, that's amazing.   

• I like it 1

5 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

I'm not a big fan of the bourbon, but I enjoy their cask strength rye.   I have a 6 year blended rye pick, that's amazing.   

Bourbon? I haven't heard of them doing a bourbon. Do you have a photo of the bottle? I thought they only did rye.

5 hours ago, Mattk said:

Bourbon? I haven't heard of them doing a bourbon. Do you have a photo of the bottle? I thought they only did rye.

Sorry....should've stated "rye" , as in their standard rye. I like the higher proof and cask strength whiskey. 

12 hours ago, Skinsfan1311 said:

Sorry....should've stated "rye" , as in their standard rye. I like the higher proof and cask strength whiskey. 

Darn, you had me excited for a second there. I live only a few minutes from the farm, so I find myself compelled to try everything of theirs I can. I also really liked many of the blended 6 year picks. It's kind of cool they have a couple of rye mashbills aged for that long.

• I like it 1

Been dabbling in a new bottle of Pikesville on and off the last couple of nights.  A very punchy and bracing rye.  Looking forward to building a Boulevardier with it this afternoon.  

• I like it 1

Ended up getting covid earlier this week. So family Christmas has been cancelled/ not at my house. Haven't felt much like drinking anything alcoholic all week. So I doubt I'll be opening any Christmas bottle this year. But finally a light pour of 2017 rendezvous sounded good tonight, but it is a very slowly consumed beverage. Merry Christmas to everyone here. Have a lovely holiday.

IMG_20211224_164540.jpg

• I like it 4

5 hours ago, Mattk said:

Ended up getting covid earlier this week. So family Christmas has been cancelled/ not at my house. Haven't felt much like drinking anything alcoholic all week. So I doubt I'll be opening any Christmas bottle this year. But finally a light pour of 2017 rendezvous sounded good tonight, but it is a very slowly consumed beverage. Merry Christmas to everyone here. Have a lovely holiday.

IMG_20211224_164540.jpg

Hope you get better soon and Merry Christmas!

• I like it 1

7 hours ago, Mattk said:

IMG_20211224_164540.jpg

Best wishes, and get well soon.

I had a couple of friends over about a month ago and we polished off my BC Seagrass.  They both came to a Christmas Eve open house bearing a replacement bottle.

5C2B0FF5-0DF3-44AF-B635-6DCFDD57075F.jpeg

• I like it 3

On 12/23/2021 at 8:12 AM, Skinsfan1311 said:

I enjoy their cask strength rye.   I have a 6 year blended rye pick, that's amazing.   

Same 👍

• I like it 1

Almost the end of the year. Gotta get them in while I can. According to our records I have loved these for over a year. I just can't seem to get enough, better buy some more before they are gone forever. I was actually gifted this one for Christmas,

IMG_20211228_190553.jpg

• I like it 3

On 12/24/2021 at 4:47 PM, Mattk said:

IMG_20211224_164540.jpg

Sorry to hear this!  I hope you are on the mend and will be back up to speed soon. 

On 12/26/2021 at 6:37 PM, markandrex said:

I had a couple of friends over about a month ago and we polished off my BC Seagrass.  They both came to a Christmas Eve open house bearing a replacement bottle.

5C2B0FF5-0DF3-44AF-B635-6DCFDD57075F.jpeg

Now those are some good friends!

11 minutes ago, Mattk said:

Almost the end of the year. Gotta get them in while I can. According to our records I have loved these for over a year. I just can't seem to get enough, better buy some more before they are gone forever. I was actually gifted this one for Christmas,

IMG_20211228_190553.jpg

Making up for lost time?  

I have never seen any bottles of 4 year 114 proof or 11 year 92.6 proof Old Overholt.  

• I like it 1

10 minutes ago, mbroo5880i said:

Making up for lost time?  

I have never seen any bottles of 4 year 114 proof or 11 year 92.6 proof Old Overholt.  

The 114 is like the red cap bib, but a bit hot

• I like it 1

On 12/24/2021 at 9:06 AM, Mattk said:

Darn, you had me excited for a second there. I live only a few minutes from the farm, so I find myself compelled to try everything of theirs I can. I also really liked many of the blended 6 year picks. It's kind of cool they have a couple of rye mashbills aged for that long.

I wish I knew you were stomping around. The GF's family is like 15-20 minutes south of Baltimore and I visited them for Christmas the past couple years. Always love buying and sharing whiskey with friends. Just went over to the Sagamore distillery last week and picked up my first bottles.

They make a Distillery Exclusive bottle in which you can only get there, obviously, and once it's gone, it's gone. Upon the completion of selling all of those bottles, they then release the next one. They said they do about 4-5 a year, so figure they sell out about every 3 months or so.

From what I've gathered about their Distillery Exclusive, as well as some of their Reserve Series releases, they take their standard 4 year rye and age it an additional 12-13 months in barrels in which they get from unique places. Like when I was there they had a DE bottle that was aged 12 months in Laird Apple Brandy Casks.

I've seen some of their Reserve Series with funky/experimental finishes as well such as: Tequilla barrels, Barelywine Beer barrels, Port barrels, Cognac barrels... you get the point.

PS - When I was there I also grabbed their BiB which I'm exicted about. Will share my thoughts when I open it.

PPS - Their Double Oak, which should be widely available, is unbelievably good.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.