What rye are you drinking or purchased in 2021

Mattk
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 12/3/2021 at 6:48 PM, mbroo5880i said:

One of my favorites because it is great and, as you say, consistent.  It disappeared for a few years in my area (Indy) but return in 2020.  Interestingly, stores stock 750 ml bottles ($24) next to 1 liter bottles ($42) on the shelf.  I don't question the logic, I just pick up the 750 ml bottle and walk away with a smile.

I couldn't get it for a minute there in the 2012-2015 range, but when I sold off my bunker some years earlier (a somewhat regrettable move), I retained a couple of cases of this stuff, so I've never really had to do without it. I bought liter bottles for about $32-35 for a long while, and now I'm getting the 750s for just over $20. I'll take it.

• I like it 1

On 12/11/2021 at 12:47 AM, Kepler said:

Finishing up the night with Michter's barrel strength rye from 2015, and the White album playing on the stereo.   Great combination...

The White Album!!  It goes well with anything! 

Cheers

• I like it 1

On 11/27/2021 at 10:03 PM, LvR Mike said:

What does this compare to?

For me, it compares to RRSiB Rye. Surprise, it compares to another WT Rye product. 😆  Seriously, the proof, age, NCF, profile of both expressions make a direct comparison. I have consumed only one bottle of each, (so limited experience,) I have to give the edge to the RRSiB Rye. But it could be a victim of the Single  Barrel  trap. 

As far as, what other brands the WTRB Rye compares to, I say KC 2009 Rye, Pikesville. I think because all three are high in corn. 

Cheers 

On 12/11/2021 at 8:41 PM, mbroo5880i said:

It's already been a crazy weekend.  Started last night a Fogo de Chao, a Brazilian Steakhouse, in Indy.  My wife and I were invited to a friend's company Christmas party.  He has a small but very successful company so he invited a few of his friends and spouses to join them.  There is a motorsports convention in town so it was packed but a great time!  Followed up today with the ISO Yuletide Celebration which is a family tradition.  Followed up by a nice dinner in Carmel with family and friends who attended the Yuletide with us.  Tomorrow is another busy day with plans to attend the Christkindlmarket in Carmel.  Not quite like the Chicago or European versions but very well attended and continuing to grow.

Winding down the intermission on our weekend with a couple of nice pours from a very good FRSiB.  The initial pour was a touchdown before I even reached the end zone.  The second pour was a touchdown before I even poured it. 😀

Haha, obviously a bourbon not a rye.  The spicy flavor and long finish must have had my mind thinking rye or I just got lost on where I was posting. 😜  

A wee Michter’s NAS Rye— waiting for bar food. On the road again, hopefully for the last time this year. 

4F4FFB39-5337-4859-8B25-D6D95C06B890.thumb.jpeg.b1fd1c64ba67085b3c3c3ff570ff84b2.jpeg

• I like it 1

When the bartender calls you “baby” and pours a single like this— times are good. Yet, the Russell’s Reserve 6yo Rye is falling a bit short tonight. 

873EE890-C88E-42EB-94A2-32EDC2D110DD.thumb.jpeg.210d6ffd1915b902c2e1034fbd4b38e5.jpeg

• I like it 1

I passed on a rye I have never heard of.  

Hard Truth Sweet Mash Rye.  It sounds interesting but is pricey.  Has anyone tried it?

Edited by mbroo5880i

I had some time to burn as my son's train was two hours late-- took a looooonnnng walk to to a LS "near" the hotel.

"I've got some rye in the back you may be interested in…"

IMG_7312.thumb.jpg.9eb1f31633f307c009fc1538126028ff.jpg

• I like it 9

9 hours ago, PaulO said:

I'm enjoying some Rittenhouse.

This was my rye of choice last night, and it was the first time in several months I'd had it. Damned delicious.

13 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

I had some time to burn as my son's train was two hours late-- took a looooonnnng walk to to a LS "near" the hotel.

We had a guy in our weekly poker game who whenever somebody rivered the table with the improbable card, he’d say:  “ You’re luckier than a dog with 4 dicks…”

One might say the same in your case here, but history over the years here has proven that you have made your own luck.  😁

• I like it 3

5 hours ago, smokinjoe said:

We had a guy in our weekly poker game who whenever somebody rivered the table with the improbable card, he’d say:  “ You’re luckier than a dog with 4 dicks…”

One might say the same in your case here, but history over the years here has proven that you have made your own luck.  😁

During the holidays I hand deliver the best toffee on earth packaged in custom boxes with a graphic abstraction of my “road uniform” and appreciative message. LS owners, managers and all notable staff get a box.

Bottles tend to materialize. 

• I like it 4

11 minutes ago, Marekv8 said:

During the holidays I hand deliver the best toffee on earth packaged in custom boxes with a graphic abstraction of my “road uniform” and appreciative message. LS owners, managers and all notable staff get a box.

My MO is to share samples (such as my Weller Blend), and thank yous in Xmas cards that contain bourbon pics.

Biba Joe

• I like it 3

On 12/17/2021 at 10:21 PM, Marekv8 said:

13 Year old rye is kind of young.  Hopefully, it doesn't have a burn to it.

Edited by mbroo5880i

6 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

Candy making is probably one of the most difficult types of cooking.  You have to use a candy thermometer.  There is a narrow temperature range between melting or burning sugar.  I've made toffee in a food lab.  So, my hat's off to you.  I ration myself some fun size Heath bars every Halloween.

My M.O. is go into stores early in the day, middle of the week, when they're not busy, buy something, and chat with the people.

Of course the THH was superb as always.  But I'm on my second pour of WT Cornerstone and it's not too shabby either. It's such a nicely balanced whiskey.  Eddie Russell = best in the business.  (If you ask me)

• I like it 4

38 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Eddie Russell = best in the business.  (If you ask me)

Agreed 💯 

• I like it 1

8 hours ago, PaulO said:

Candy making is probably one of the most difficult types of cooking.  You have to use a candy thermometer.  There is a narrow temperature range between melting or burning sugar.  I've made toffee in a food lab.  So, my hat's off to you.  I ration myself some fun size Heath bars every Halloween.

My M.O. is go into stores early in the day, middle of the week, when they're not busy, buy something, and chat with the people.

Sorry, I don’t make the toffee— the confectioner is nice enough to custom print the one pound boxes. 

I was out doing some liquor store Christmas shopping for my dad and brother. Trying really hard not to buy myself anything. Well since I'm posting here obviously that plan failed. How could I pass this one up?

IMG_20211220_161851.jpg

• I like it 1

On 12/19/2021 at 9:14 AM, Marekv8 said:

Sorry, I don’t make the toffee— the confectioner is nice enough to custom print the one pound boxes. 

With gifts, they say it's the thought that counts.

Based on the photos, seems to be a big hit. 🤩

• I like it 1

After a couple years of picking this these up off LS shelves, (and setting them back), I finally pulled the trigger on this one.   

The $88 price tag frightened my inner "Cheap Bastard" but it was a tax-free purchase so I bought it anyway.

The reviews that mention "sickly sweet" and "marshmallow" and "syrupy" are spot-on.  The rum flavor is pretty dominant, the sweetness cloying, and the rye in this whiskey is hidden in the background.  It has that MGP flavor that I love, but it's very muted.

It's my 2nd foray into finished whiskey, (the first being an excellent Backbone Barrel proof pick, finished in Jamaican rum barrels), and may be my last.  It's just not in my wheelhouse.

No use crying over spilt milk, so I can see this one lasting for years, as a dessert pour.   Mrs. Skinsfan likes it well enough, and I probably wouldn't be averse to the occasional pour, as a change of pace.

That being said, when it's gone, it's gone, and won't be replaced.

angels envy rye.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 1

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.