What foreign whiskey/whisky are you drinking 2021?

Harry in WashDC
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

On 5/16/2021 at 5:03 PM, Marekv8 said:

Followed by a Springbank 21...

B7F692E7-A5F0-4544-ABDA-321F4213DF8C.thumb.jpeg.40b28564c555a7ceb003e7ef6d330979.jpeg

You are definitely back!

My seat has physically been removed from the bar at the Sky Club and my regular guy Jose is gone, but a double Highland Park 18 goes a long way to make me still feel at home.

IMG_6167.thumb.jpg.41dff5070575517ef0dca933108a5cfa.jpg 

• I like it 2

Followed by a double Laphroaig 10, nicely color matched to the bootleg Smith & Cross to follow.77294A1F-CF8D-42DF-9AFD-65E20B410D1E.thumb.jpeg.cd97759fc03f184b6d67d275a6d1b014.jpeg

• I like it 2

3 hours ago, Marekv8 said:

My seat has physically been removed from the bar at the Sky Club and my regular guy Jose is gone, but a double Highland Park 18 goes a long way to make me still feel at home.

IMG_6167.thumb.jpg.41dff5070575517ef0dca933108a5cfa.jpg 

Jose removed your seat and sold it to me.  I figured sitting in it in my garage would help me channel your cool booze buying radar.  😁. Jose’s fine.  I paid a princely sum for it, plus shipping!!!  Though, he did sweeten the deal by throwing in your half drained bottle of Fernet Branca...  😂

• I like it 3

On 5/16/2021 at 6:06 PM, smokinjoe said:

Compass Box Menagerie while getting dinner ready.  Very nice thick sweetness, but with a spicy pop on the finish.  

A3FBAB46-804B-4497-8246-07D01B82F0A9.jpeg

I love me some of the compass box products that I've had. What are your "must try" compass box products?

29 minutes ago, LvR Mike said:

I love me some of the compass box products that I've had. What are your "must try" compass box products?

Years ago at a WhiskyFest Wash DC, John Glaser of CB talked me into trying Hedonism after I told him I had tried and failed to develop a taste for scotch.  I now buy H plus Spice Tree offerings now and again.  They alternate with my Irish.  I still am not a "scotch" fan, but Hedonism and Spice Tree hit the spot now and then.

• I like it 1

1 hour ago, smokinjoe said:

Jose removed your seat and sold it to me.  I figured sitting in it in my garage would help me channel your cool booze buying radar.  😁. Jose’s fine.  I paid a princely sum for it, plus shipping!!!  Though, he did sweeten the deal by throwing in your half drained bottle of Fernet Branca...  😂

Nice— I’m going to track down that damn stool. Given that the D Terminal is slated for demolition shortly— the original experience is soon to be gone. 

I hope this meets @smokinjoe's 'foreign' requirements! :D

I do like Millstone, had some cracking drams from them over the years. This is a mere 80 proof but has a ton of flavour nonetheless. 

Cheers 🍻 

20210520_213856.jpg

On 5/9/2021 at 8:34 PM, B.B. Babington said:

I stay away from most crown.  The old red box Waterloo XR is very good, the old Cask 16 is very good, the new 16 yr rye should be good but is lacking to my taste.  I still have few bottles of Waterloo and Cask 16 but pour them sparingly.

Thanks, I didn't know of the rye 16 you mention. I'd buy it if I saw it here.

Not sure what it is with CR, or CR these days.

Northern Harvest Rye has an assertive taste, but not particularly attractive for neat drinking, imo. Apart from that, most CR iterations I've tried do seem on the bland side.

I guess they know their market and what they're going for.

2 hours ago, Gillman said:

...Apart from that, most CR iterations I've tried do seem on the bland side.  I guess they know their market and what they're going for.

That they do, that they do.  It's a very successful brand.

A rye I've recently been impressed with is Masterson's 10 year.  Though it seems like a USA product, it is distilled and I think aged by Alberta Distilleries, Canada.  Very good but little expensive.  They claim Pacific Northwest rye and water.  But then could same be said for Alberta Premium Cask source rye and water?  Though more expensive and less proof, I like the Masterson's better than Alberta Premium Cask.

On 5/20/2021 at 5:03 PM, beasled said:

I hope this meets @smokinjoe's 'foreign' requirements! :D

I do like Millstone, had some cracking drams from them over the years. This is a mere 80 proof but has a ton of flavour nonetheless. 

Cheers 🍻 

20210520_213856.jpg

I would say it does! 😁

6743D2A0-1CC1-43A9-8691-BCF9FC38F4BF.png

• I like it 1

Glendronach Peated Port finish tasting good this evening. Cheers! 

20210529_215949.jpg

• I like it 2

28 minutes ago, Kjbarth said:

Ardbeg An Oa single malt

What do you think of that one?  It’s always intrigued me.

26 minutes ago, smokinjoe said:

What do you think of that one?  It’s always intrigued me.

Smoooooth and very smoky.  Great with bbq.  I haven’t tried other Ardbeg expressions so not sure how it compares with Ardbeg 10 or their other expressions.

I'm an Islay whiskey whore but have been known, on rare occasions,  to stray from the peat bombs. It doesn't happen to often but, when I do stray, I reach for the  Balblair. 

20210606_202243.jpg

Edited by Skinsfan1311
  • I like it 4

On 6/6/2021 at 11:31 PM, Kane said:

Never mind that I left the glass out of the frame like an idiot. 

3929564C-31CA-4FD1-9062-60F7D9A4DC62.jpeg

Me likee, too!  Can I guess where you got it???   😋

I like the Islays too, but Balblair is definitely good stuff. One of my faves. I seem to be partial to all the northerly malts, including Clynelish and Old Pulteney.

• I like it 1

Singleton Glendullan 18 year.  I like this one. Typical scotch flavors but more of it.

• I like it 1

I have not particularly enjoyed either this Mortlach or RyJ’s but while listening to the Braves on the radio, it’s doing pretty good today.

6EE81706-8C93-4E2C-84B2-0656CDA84521.jpeg

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.