Freezer Whiskeys

Guss West
This topic has been inactive for at least 365 days, and is now closed. Please feel free to start a new thread on the subject! 

This group is well-versed in the summertime tradition of placing a bottle or three of whiskey into the freezer for a cool sip in hot weather drinking without the dilution imparted by ice.  

I'm doing a bit of homework in the archives and didn't see a recent thread title dedicated to this topic, rather the topic is mostly sprinkled throughout the SBKB going back nearly twenty years.  

How do Rye whiskies handle the freezer treatment?  Don't see them mentioned much in this context.  

I have a few different types and proofs of booze in mind to try for this, and wanted to request input from this collective on your favorite freezer bottles.  Despite the nod to 80-proofers for this purpose, and I agree with the sentiment; there are several well-known freezer bottles that ring in above 80pf.  

While, ultimately, nearly all whiskey could handle the freezer (plastic screw caps recommended), there have certainly been some crowd favorites.  From my research the following whiskies are well-revered as summer time freezer bottles, please add to the list your favorite warm weather freezer whiskies!  

Commonly mentioned freezer bottles: 

Four Roses Yellow Label

Mellow F'in Corn

WT Rare Breed 

OGD BIB 

AA

Here's to the day's getting longer and warmer.  Summer 2021 is right around the corner!!  

Prost! 

• I like it 2

the non-chill filtered's might act funky.  I've a friend that had an EC18 in freezer for 5 years.  Though you might be okay with 80 proof, I'd recommend only 90 proof and above, especially for deep freezer.

• I like it 2

GW4G (Grandpa Weller's Four Grain) vatting from the fridge is great - might have to make up another small batch (3xWSR:2xOGD114) and see how it does from the freezer this summer.  🤞

Edited by GeeTen
Reducing "insider's" use of acronyms
  • I like it 4

I keep a handful of WT101 minis in our outdoor poolside mini fridge / freezer, mainly because I can get a 10 pack for $10 (equating to a $15 fifth). 

• I like it 5

Given my unabashed love for all things Wild Turkey, this was one of the first on my list to try; given the availability and two proof points to test for both bourbon and rye!  

This also reminded me that I forgot to pour a sip to acknowledge the actual wild turkey that stopped traffic yesterday in his leisurely walk across the street, on our trip to get Pfizer #2 for SWMBO.   Perhaps a rare pour from my 2002 dusty or dig out one of my RR SiBs.  

• I like it 1

Not my freezer (because I can't fit a bottle in there!), but I've always kept a HH6yrBIB in the fridge.  And plan to do so until I'm dry (although didn't think about @dcbt's solution of smaller bottles; may grab a 200 mL of WT101 just for that!)

• I like it 1

Was going to use a few 4oz boston rounds to get the freeze without the sleaze.  

I agree with the upthread mention that low-fill bottles get weird in the freezer.  I suspect it's related to the head-volume of air. 

No air, no problem.  

I'm going to try filling the small 4oz bottle, freezer until next day, and then empty in one evening.  "Lather, rinse, repeat...always repeat."  

My fridge (not freezer) bottle was once upon a time HH 6 BIB. No can do anymore since I only have one left. 🙁 I just might have to do some spermentin’ this spring/summer. 😝

Biba! Joe

• I like it 2

Just now, fishnbowljoe said:

My fridge (not freezer) bottle was once upon a time HH 6 BIB. No can do anymore since I only have one left. 🙁 I just might have to do some spermentin’ this spring/summer. 😝

Biba! Joe

Only have 1 bottle of HH 6 BiB left, too.  Don't have the heart to break her open, yet.  🥴

Gonna' try a wee dram of GW4G from the freezer tomorrow nite - too windy and cold right now.  🥶

Last summer I found myself with 1/2 bottle of Basil Hayden's (gifted to me) and 1/2 bottle of OGD BIB, and thought....why not mix them and put it in the freezer? It was amazing. I still think about that freezer bottle. Just might have to duplicate it again this year.

Edited by JakeySnakes
  • I like it 5

I've used HH6bib, 4RYL, and FC6yr for freezer bottles.  Seems like there was one more but I can't remember what it was. 

..Oh yeah I also put a JBB8yr in the freezer once. 

This spring I'm debating between starting off with the 4R or the FC.  I'll probably go FC for the spring and save the 4RYL for the dog days of summer.

Just yesterday i put the FRYL in the freeze.. holy moly thats dangerously good. What the frick is this phenomenon?? So often these lower priced suckers are the most enjoyable to me... ice cold is next level good. 

• I like it 5

28 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

Just yesterday i put the FRYL in the freeze.. holy moly thats dangerously good. What the frick is this phenomenon?? So often these lower priced suckers are the most enjoyable to me... ice cold is next level good. 

I don't know either but I agree.  The cold usually mutes the flavor of many complex whiskies but something about the 4RYL it just seems to make it a little better somehow.  The freezer turns the normally thin 80 proofer into a thicker, more syrupy mouthfeel, ... maybe that's part of it.

• I like it 2

57 minutes ago, FasterHorses said:

It's candy I tell ya!

• I like it 2

26 minutes ago, Kepler said:

I don't know either but I agree.  The cold usually mutes the flavor of many complex whiskies but something about the 4RYL it just seems to make it a little better somehow.  The freezer turns the normally thin 80 proofer into a thicker, more syrupy mouthfeel, ... maybe that's part of it.

That viscosity it pours out with is for sure a factor. I also love it when you lay the bottle on the side it develops these slushy ice chips that pour out and make it all the better!

• I like it 2

2 minutes ago, flahute said:

I also love it when you lay the bottle on the side it develops these slushy ice chips that pour out and make it all the better!

Oh wow I haven't tried this. I don't think I have the space in my freezer to place a bottle horizontally.  Time to get a bigger freezer!! 😃🧊

• I like it 1

Just now, Kepler said:

Oh wow I haven't tried this. I don't think I have the space in my freezer to place a bottle horizontally.  Time to get a bigger freezer!! 😃🧊

Ha! My freezer isn't tall enough to stand up the bottle so I discovered this quite by accident but I sure do love it!

• I like it 2

1 minute ago, flahute said:

Ha! My freezer isn't tall enough to stand up the bottle so I discovered this quite by accident but I sure do love it!

Where did this start? Who needs cold beer when you have this slush. I noticed the syrupy viscosity while pouring earlier..i love that its 80 proof but drinks like a 107. 

• I like it 1

1 minute ago, FasterHorses said:

Where did this start? Who needs cold beer when you have this slush. I noticed the syrupy viscosity while pouring earlier..i love that its 80 proof but drinks like a 107. 

Agree wholeheartedly.  Just wait until it's 90+ degrees outside and pour some of this after doing some yard work.  It's a summertime tradition to look forward to!

• I like it 3

11 minutes ago, flahute said:

Some of the best inventions were discovered by accident!

5 minutes ago, Kepler said:

Agree wholeheartedly.  Just wait until it's 90+ degrees outside and pour some of this after doing some yard work.  It's a summertime tradition to look forward to!

I need to turn in or i will finish 750 in 36 hrs🤩😎... . Flahute nailed it.. that is candy.    Was gonna ask about other bourbons that work in the freezer and found this thread... makes me want to put my whole bunker in there.

• I like it 1

14 hours ago, FasterHorses said:

I'm not sure who started the bourbon in the fridge tradition but I came across that a number of years ago when my brother smokinjoe would routinely have a HH6BIB in his garage fridge that he'd pull out on hot summer days. I followed suit and put my HH6BIB in the fridge. When HH announced the discontinuation of that brand many of us started experimenting with other bourbons. I found that FRYL and OGDBIB worked particularly well.

On one particularly hot summer day I thought "let's try the freezer" and found that the lower proof resulted in that syrupy viscosity you noted so I reported my findings here and it's been a summer tradition for many of us since then. There used to be a spot in the freezer where I could almost stand up the bottle and it didn't get slushy then. Last summer our freezer was extra full due to stocking up in the early days of covid lockdown. This is why last summer's bottle ended up on its side and again, I think it's the low proof that results in the ice chips. I think when all that extra surface area is exposed it makes it easier to separate the water molecules from the alcohol but I can't say for sure. What I do know is that it's damn good when poured in a chilled glass!

• I like it 3

On 5/1/2021 at 1:57 PM, flahute said:

I'm not sure who started the bourbon in the fridge tradition but I came across that a number of years ago when my brother smokinjoe would routinely have a HH6BIB in his garage fridge that he'd pull out on hot summer days. I followed suit and put my HH6BIB in the fridge. When HH announced the discontinuation of that brand many of us started experimenting with other bourbons. I found that FRYL and OGDBIB worked particularly well.

On one particularly hot summer day I thought "let's try the freezer" and found that the lower proof resulted in that syrupy viscosity you noted so I reported my findings here and it's been a summer tradition for many of us since then. There used to be a spot in the freezer where I could almost stand up the bottle and it didn't get slushy then. Last summer our freezer was extra full due to stocking up in the early days of covid lockdown. This is why last summer's bottle ended up on its side and again, I think it's the low proof that results in the ice chips. I think when all that extra surface area is exposed it makes it easier to separate the water molecules from the alcohol but I can't say for sure. What I do know is that it's damn good when poured in a chilled glass!

I thank you and smokinjoe for your contributions. Glad someone tried it somewhere along the line

I keep a couple in the fridge so to have a cold neat without resorting to ice.

I have read that the cold dry can cause cork shrinkage. 

I think I will try freezer, but it will be a glass covered. 

https://www.supperforasteal.com/how-long-does-bourbon-last/

https://www.breakingbourbon.com/article/bourbon-storage-experiment-12-month-tasting-results

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.